Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 XCT in October of 13. The bike has been great but I have a couple of questions though;

1. Can someone tell me why my front tire is cupping? I have 13,000 on the bike with the original front tire and I am sure that it is time to replace it but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in regards to tire pressure to cause the cupping or is it normal when a tire wears?

2. The drive belt chirps terribly and has been doing it for some time now. What can I do to get rid of the noise?

I should add that I am totally new to riding but enjoy it more than anything.
MK

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a 2013 XCT in October of 13. The bike has been great but I have a couple of questions though;

1. Can someone tell me why my front tire is cupping? I have 13,000 on the bike with the original front tire and I am sure that it is time to replace it but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in regards to tire pressure to cause the cupping or is it normal when a tire wears?

2. The drive belt chirps terribly and has been doing it for some time now. What can I do to get rid of the noise?

I should add that I am totally new to riding but enjoy it more than anything.
MK

With 13K on the front tire I would think it's pretty normal to have some cupping, especially If you're a heavy front brake user like I am.

As far as the drive belt noise, that seems very unusual. I would check to ensure the rear wheel is aligned properly and that the tension is correct. Could be too tight?

Let us know how it goes, good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Belt chirping is almost always going to be incorrect tension, incorrect alignment, or a combination of the two. In a few instances, some CCT owners had their rear pulleys replaced under warranty for a chirping issue.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Cupping on the front tire is normal
FWIW

I've got over 15,000 miles on my original front tire with no cupping showing yet and still lots of tread left.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just saw another CCT at the campground and it was chirping. He had to take the bike to the local shop for a replacement belt.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cupping on the front tire is from habitual low tire pressure and heavy use of the front brake. I just replaced my original front tire at 19000 kms. No cupping and only 2mm of tread depth left. Rear still has 4mm of tread depth left. now THAT....... I don't understand. Always thought it was two rears to a front.... :crzy:

As for the belt, I have, on occasion, had chirping of the belt, but it has always been when it is dirty with sand, dust etc. Clean it real good and it no longer chirps. That has been my experience.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Belt chirping.

My 2012 XCT started chirping after riding on a dirt ground up pavement road even after cleaning it would not stop. Had it readjusted no help it would chirp till it warmed up a little. I even used dish soap and a brush as others have said on this sight it helped for a little while. But it always came back. Lucky I only had to ride a short distance for it to warm up enough to stop.

·
Registered
784 Posts
13K is nearing the end of life on a front, especially if you ride where it is hot and/or have aggressive road surfaces. Feathering is normal in most cases, cupping isn't. Hard to say which you have.
At 12K my E3's were beginning to get slick but still had tread. MC tires aren't known for long life.
Sounds like you are under-inflated.
Get your belt adjusted.

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I have a 2012 CCT. At 15K miles I replaced both my oem Dunlop E3 tires. Neither was down to the wear bars and they both could have done many more miles. The front tire was not cupped, not at all. I always run 39psi in the front and 41psi in the rear, The E3 front tire on my Valkyrie Interstate bikes would cup no matter what I did. Not so with the Victory CCT.

My belt has never once made a sound. Never, not under any condition. I've never cleaned it either, not once. My belt does track towards the outside of the rear pulley. It has since day one and still does after 25K miles. After reading posts about chirping drive belts I was a bit worried mine may pick up that nasty habit after a rear tire change. Nope, still as quiet as can be.

A noisy Victory drive belt typically has one of two causes. Improper adjustment/alignment and/or a faulty rear drive pulley. Period, end of story. Any dealer that tells you a noisy Victory drive belt is in anyway normal should never be allowed to touch your bike as they simply don't know what they're talking about. Confirm that's the dealer's position then post it so other owners know to stay away from that dealers service department.

When I replaced both tires at 15K miles I wasn't worried about the drive belt. Only a few thousand miles later I picked up a nail in the back tire a few days prior to a move from IL to TN. I had to replace the fairly new rear E3 after getting to TN. At that time, I was a bit worried about the belt noise because my original dealer, Randy's Cycle, was in IL and I was now in TN. The dealer in GA that changed the rear E3 didn't even touch the belt adjustment when changing the rear tire. No muss, no fuss, no chirps, no squeaks, no belt noise of any kind. All I can say is the technicians at Randy's Cycle in Marengo, IL know their stuff. As did the technician at the dealer in Kennesaw, GA who also didn't touch the belt adjustment when changing the rear tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I started getting a chirp near the end of my first set of tires. No amount of alignment of tension adjustments would do the trick.

I changed the tires myself including mounting the tires. In order to break the bead in the rear wheel, I had to remove the pulley. When I recounted it, I didn't get a single belt chirp and still have yet to get one. Perhaps it might be as simple as turning the pulley a few bolt holes one way or the other...

·
13,262 Posts
to get long life out of any tire you have to check air once a month and when the temp gets over 95 degrees ever two weeks. If you do this when tires are cold you'll find you have lost air. Get a good gauge.

Once the belt is adjusted correct and you don't touch the adjusts it should stay in in adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the great suggestions

As far as the tire wear, I am sure that I have been remiss in keeping the air pressure where it should be. Being a bicyclist for over 30 years, I should know better, I never bicycled without checking air pressure first. I guess that the bigger, lower pressure tires on the Victory, I just got a bit lazy. I have ordered a set of Michelin tires and they should be in later this week.

I have not worked on the bike myself but I did speak to the service manager at the local shop and he said that there is a couple of things that could be checked for the belt chirp.
Again, thanks for the suggestions
Mikey

·
Registered
784 Posts
Interesting, I wasn't aware Michelin made a suitiible tire for the XCT.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There is one size that is close in the commander ii's.
Aren't those bias tires? Not that they won't work, but radial are recommended.
Oh and don't get me wrong, I have the granddaddy of not recommended tires on mine, but knew the difference. That, along with the crash and burn part.
Just hope the OP knows they can change the ride.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Aren't those bias tires? Not that they won't work, but radial are recommended.
Oh and don't get me wrong, I have the granddaddy of not recommended tires on mine, but knew the difference. That, along with the crash and burn part.
Just hope the OP knows they can change the ride.
I'll have to check, but I could care less if it was bias or radial. Makes no difference to me. I'm guessing you run dark side.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good video but I don't agree with a few of the points. One the radio tires on my bike or like concrete they don't give at all. In fact the Goldwing riders call the E3 concrete tires. My bike is not going to be doing 150 mph with me on it so no problem with tire expanding at speed. I know a lot of wing riders who are using the commanders on the front because of the long mileage they get out of them and there bikes are not any heaver than ours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts