Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

See the pictures.... I did not have any accident or noticed any "bump" but there is a crack in the rear fender sheet metal... under the LEFT RAIL COVER.

anybody ever seen anything like this ???

I cannot think of any other way then welding or "hard soldering" a small plate behind the crack?? Any other idea how to repair without welding, any idea is welcome.... I will show this also to the dealer.... see if any guarantee for this ??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Hi Guys,

See the pictures.... I did not have any accident or noticed any "bump" but there is a crack in the rear fender sheet metal... under the LEFT RAIL COVER.

I cannot think of any other way then welding or "hard soldering" a small plate behind the crack?? Any other idea how to repair without welding, any idea is welcome.... I will show this also to the dealer.... see if any guarantee for this ??
I'd reckon its a warranty issue, get em to replace it if you can.
Theres a way of. Sorta fixing it but itll be visible unless professionally Welded and refinished.
A replacement in the correct colour is far better.
Could Sikaflex a bracing piece behind and clamp in place with blocks of wood either side but close inspection will reveal the crack.
Not good mate, not good at all.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorbikerx

Thanks mate, forgot to mention,

Already send the pictures to Vic Indonesia..... but I will ask if i am allowed to:::::

DRILL A 3 MM HOLE to stop further cracking...... and maybe rivet an stainless or aluminium plate on the back so you will only see the 4 rivets and a crack..... but it will not crack further

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
427 Posts
Biggest problem you will have will be the vibration many of they basic "superglues" don't fair well under heavy vibration. You could also use some 3m vhb tape with a piece of metal on the backside to help stiffen it. As with any type of repair prep is everything.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yea that's the stuff. They have several types just make sure you get one for metal I can't remember the number now. The stuff comes in a roll but isn't cheap when you only need a small chunk. Maybe you can see if they can get you a sample. I would still drill a hole at the top to keep the crack from spreading. Auto parts store carry it here or try an auto body place they use it for trims and such, probably will sell you a small piece.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, great help......

NOW I NEED PROOF of warranty ...... any information / experience of warranty on bodywork NO ACCIDENT ??

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
DONT go drilling holes and rivetting, use SIKAFLEX, Its used to glue aeroplanes buses and trucks together.
Anything else is not good enough...SIKAFLEX is the stuff to use

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also found SIKAFLEX in Singapore.... hope that they will have the right stuff / number for this .... so I have 2 options now

I also found out WHY the fender cracked..... riding 2 persons... if you open the bolts on the fender you can clearly see it moving left-to-right

:confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are different types of sikaflex too. And yea it will work but it probably won't stop the crack from spreading that's why I recommend drilling the hole at the top of the crack no need for rivets. If you use it make sure you get the one for metal and use a metal backer plate.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I also found SIKAFLEX in Singapore.... hope that they will have the right stuff / number for this .... so I have 2 options now

I also found out WHY the fender cracked..... riding 2 persons... if you open the bolts on the fender you can clearly see it moving left-to-right

:confused:
SIKAFLEX 227 is the stuff you need, this is cut n paste from their website...
SIKAFLEX® 227
Sikaflex-227 is a one-component poly**urethane sealant designed for car body construction, curing on exposure to atmospheric moisture to form a durable elastomer.
- See more at: http://aus.sika.com/en/solutions_products/01/01a001/01a001sa02/01a001sa02100/01a001sa02102.html#sthash.VEWDrGb3.dpuf

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Hi Guys,

Wondering why your blinkers are mounted in that position ??
All Jackpot pix I can find show the blinkers down low coming off the number plate bracket...I'm wondering why yours are mounted up high there off the fender and whether or not this may have contributed to the cracking???
Jackpots set up as a two person bike so carrying a passenger shouldn't cause a problem....is the rear fender a load bearing item on the Jackpot? The rear seat on my Vegas is frame mounted and not in contact with the fender.

·
12,972 Posts
why not fiber glass they do make cars out of it.
With a good fiber glass matting and resign it should be as strong as new. NO Don't drill a hole. Sand the back side of the fender clean it real good and apply. Youtube would have a lot of videos I bet on how to

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Just some thoughts here.
I'd find the end of that crack with a magnifying glass and center punch and drill it as was recommended by others here.

A thin steel as the backing material is less prone to cracking from vibration than an aluminum alloy is for the same thickness. I'd be looking for something about twice as thick as the fender is in that spot but not much thicker.
That way you should still be able to form it closely. Though I don't imagine you will have a lot of fun doing that.

I wouldn't want to add too much more weight and have it crack somewhere else. Since it should have been engineered it probably is very close to thick enough already. Just not quite there obviously because it cracked.

Was just re reading the posts and found where you described why it cracked.
Is there an easy fix for the movement?

Just re reading and I found where in the post you explained why it happened.
Is there an easy fix for the movement?

I'd reinforce both sides in that same area as you look to have a problem there. I would suspect that it is only a matter of time before a matching crack appears on the other side unless strenthened.

If they do give you another fender you might want to reinforce it with the 3m stuff and some thin steel plates before you install it. Or at least give that some consideration. Do the roads there suck?

Is there some kind of easy fix for the movement you found in the fender when riding two up?

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Latest update, I am Emailing with Victory Indonesia main office if this could be a warranty issue.... hope i succeed ??

PS I have full insurance so that would be a second option ?

Does anybody knows about body warranty regulations of Victory :confused: ??

Ok answering your questions

1. After searching ALL the island for repair components I didn't find SIKAFLEX but I did find ""3M VHB TAPES"" (REPLACEMENTS OF WELDS, ETC)
Bonding a doubler-plate on the back of the fender of course, but a small strip on the outside UNDER the Rail-Cover could also be an option ??
Also I will stick a stainless small plate at the other side inside the fender....

2. If I place back the RAIL COVER the crack would be covered by this rail, so the smartest thing would be as a sheet metal worker would agree is to stop the tearing to drill a 3 mm hole ad the end of the crack.

3. Fiberglass is a very GOOD idea..... if I get a new fender I will lightly grind the paint inside the fender / primer for polyester resin adhesive and put some fiberglass in my new fender....

4. The Jackpot seat is ONLY bolted from the sides on that rear sheet metal fender, so removing the 4 black bolts as on the picture you can lift off the fender, there are NO bracing or structured carrying the fender... look on the 300 mm tire treads and you can see the pictures, I could not imagine that 0.8 mm or 1.2 mm sheet metal is enough to carry the second passenger ????

5. The blinkers are relocated as per pictures and i made a stainless steal bracket for that, this could not be the reason for cracking as the stainless plates were NOT bent.....

6. guess NO MORE riding with pretty Asian girls on the back ?? :p

·
12,972 Posts
Say if you show us Asian maybe will let you keep her

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Hi Guys,
Latest update, I am Emailing with Victory Indonesia main office if this could be a warranty issue.... hope i succeed ??

PS I have full insurance so that would be a second option ?

Does anybody knows about body warranty regulations of Victory :confused: ??

Ok answering your questions

1. After searching ALL the island for repair components I didn't find SIKAFLEX but I did find ""3M VHB TAPES"" (REPLACEMENTS OF WELDS, ETC)
Bonding a doubler-plate on the back of the fender of course, but a small strip on the outside UNDER the Rail-Cover could also be an option ??
Also I will stick a stainless small plate at the other side inside the fender....

2. If I place back the RAIL COVER the crack would be covered by this rail, so the smartest thing would be as a sheet metal worker would agree is to stop the tearing to drill a 3 mm hole ad the end of the crack.

3. Fiberglass is a very GOOD idea..... if I get a new fender I will lightly grind the paint inside the fender / primer for polyester resin adhesive and put some fiberglass in my new fender....

4. The Jackpot seat is ONLY bolted from the sides on that rear sheet metal fender, so removing the 4 black bolts as on the picture you can lift off the fender, there are NO bracing or structured carrying the fender... look on the 300 mm tire treads and you can see the pictures, I could not imagine that 0.8 mm or 1.2 mm sheet metal is enough to carry the second passenger ????

5. The blinkers are relocated as per pictures and i made a stainless steal bracket for that, this could not be the reason for cracking as the stainless plates were NOT bent.....

6. guess NO MORE riding with pretty Asian girls on the back ?? :p
The crack is right next to where the blinkers have been relocated to, I'm guessing that as soon as Vic sees the modification your chance of a warranty claim goes out the window.
I think there could be a connection between the stainless plate you've added and the way its cracked right next to it.
Pretty Asian girls don't weigh much,
the Jackpot is a 2 seater, ...although till I have a closer look at Jays identical Jackpot then I can't really see for myself how the load is carried.
Ill show him the pix as well see what he thinks, he is a fully qualified body and paint man, wheras I've just been doing it all my life with no paperwork.
Any other Jackpot riders here carry a pillion passenger?
Surely Vic is going to have quite a few warranty claims coming up it is a design flaw.
For your sake BP6666VR I hope it is a design flaw, but it's right next to your added bracket.
At least your repair is hidden by the chrome rail anyway.
Good Luck with it.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello All,

I just received my NEW fender from Victory, so our Victory shop in Batam-Island & Jakarta Victory did a GREAT job claiming this fender of my Jackpot that was cracked .... painted in the original colors and everything, good job.

I will not install until I reinforce the same area as the repaired on, and check with a buddy of mine if I can polyester the "inside" of the fender or not ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts