Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My The Vic Shop Lloyds VM1-DR cam install and PCV dyno tune was over 50K miles ago. Since then I changed the Tri Ovals for a set of Raging Cajun Medium Low & Throaty mufflers and I also added the Bad Ace Billet tank risers. I think those two changes were somewhere between 15K to 20K miles ago. The CCT was running great but I figured I should have the fuel map checked out since I made changes to mechanical parts. I was really more or less looking for an excuse to ride the 320 miles each way to Lowell, NC.

Today I went to Indian of Charlotte in Lowell so Josh could put the CCT on the dyno just to make sure everything was still ok. Everyone who knows Josh, from Lloyds shop in Pine Bush, NY knows he's an awesome tuner. He's also an awesome man as well. I just replaced my fuel filter, cleaned/serviced the Lloyds air filter and changed the spark plugs so they'd be fresh for today. Josh found that my rear cylinder was a bit rich between 2K and 3K rpm and my front was a bit lean. I don't know what rpm range the front was a bit lean. Josh adjusted everything on the fuel map as he saw fit and then let the bike cool down a bit before running it for the Hp and Torque numbers. He tunes it in 4th gear and he also recorded a 112 Hp figure with 114 Tq. 5th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio so the numbers go up slightly on the power un for a dyno graph. I 'think' that's SOP for the other tuners as well. Josh was also very complimentary of Rylan and Gabe at The Vic Shop. It's a real treat to us Victory owners that so many talented tuners and technicians share information to help us all.

These bikes really do improve with miles. I was nearly giddy listening to my CCT on the dyno. Those Medium Low & Throaty's have an awesome song! I don't know why CrossCountryLA isn't on this forum but I'll certainly send him an email about today and how his mufflers perform. Here's a hint: the Low & Throaty torque curve is as flat as the Tri Ovals.

My original numbers were 112 Hp and 114 Tq when the bike had 11K miles on it. Today, at 60840 miles it posted 114 Hp and 117 Tq. Yes, I know, these are two different dynos on two different days and in two different conditions from two different operators etc etc etc. But man, my Vic 106 isn't anywhere close to being 'tired'. It continues to run stronger, smoother and spin up faster than ever.

What I did notice on the 320 mile ride home was the engine sounded like it has a tighter cadance to it. I also got a bit better fuel economy on the ride home. 5Th gear between 60 and 80 is a real hoot. 6th gear for me is mostly for a steady 80 and above. But it will run perfectly in 6th at 2500rpm as well.

Moral of the story: If it's been a while since your last dyno tune, bring it in so the fuel map can be checked over again and any changes that may be needed can be done. Since they're not building the fuel map from scratch, it takes much less dyno time to simply perform a Dyno Nip and Tuck.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sounds like it was worth the trip. :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
This year I removed the ATS gear and wrapped the Tri-Oval baffles...I notice a bit more popping since doing this and plan to get the bike to my tuner(Jon at Dyno Solutions in Brookfield, CT) If I keep this bike it'll definitely be going in for touch-up tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This year I removed the ATS gear and wrapped the Tri-Oval baffles...I notice a bit more popping since doing this and plan to get the bike to my tuner(Jon at Dyno Solutions in Brookfield, CT) If I keep this bike it'll definitely be going in for touch-up tuning.
PaiN,

Great idea. When I installed the Medium Low & Throaty mufflers it also developed a bit of a pop here and there. That's nearly gone after the dyno nip and tuck. What remains is an awesome rumble (gurgle) on decel. I'm loving it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Mark,
I didn't know there was a tuner in Charlotte! I am about 150 miles (about 3 hours due to some time on twisty roads) from there. I may have to check them out when I finally decide to tune my XR.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TNXR,

Indian of Charlotte in Lowell, NC (west side of Charlotte) is the dealership owned by VicBaggers and Lloyd Greer. Josh Baird who used to be in Pine Bush, NY moved to Charlotte and does all the Victory and Indian performance work and tuning.

Indian of Charlotte
110 Indian Walk
Lowell, NC 28098
Tel: 704-879-4560
Richie Ward is the Service Manager and Josh Baird is the engine building / tuning guru.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
TNXR,

Indian of Charlotte in Lowell, NC (west side of Charlotte) is the dealership owned by VicBaggers and Lloyd Greer. Josh Baird who used to be in Pine Bush, NY moved to Charlotte and does all the Victory and Indian performance work and tuning.

Indian of Charlotte
110 Indian Walk
Lowell, NC 28098
Tel: 704-879-4560
Richie Ward is the Service Manager and Josh Baird is the engine building / tuning guru.
Very good to know! I thought I would have to wait till the Vic rally in North GA before I could find somebody close to do that kind of work. I may look into this next spring.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
PaiN,

Great idea. When I installed the Medium Low & Throaty mufflers it also developed a bit of a pop here and there. That's nearly gone after the dyno nip and tuck. What remains is an awesome rumble (gurgle) on decel. I'm loving it.
Hmm so gurgling is good? Got that now.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It sounds so awesome on engine braking it simply has to be good. :wink
Yeah I admit I kinda like it. Surprised me at first when I switched to the tri ovals. I very rarely get any pop. Not bad for a casual self tune job.

Not sure that there are any "good" dyno guys near Indy. Not really worried about that unless I go for cams.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Someone in my neighborhood has a Harley that needs a tuning bad. I don't see him but I hear him. I know he's about 2 blocks away and as he decels there will be, not a few pops, but 3 or 4 bangs. I feel for the engine everytime I hear that BANG and it echoing through the neighborhood. I check myself for gunshot wounds😁

Any aftermarket muffler I've had there has been gurgle and that sound some describe as when a semi throttles down. I like it too!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I am also going for a 'nip and tuck'. I've been playing with my PCV since I got it; changing my own tunes based on downloads from Rylan and Lloyd. Had a tune done by a local guy early last season, but I've since added cams and Stage 1 mufflers. Going to see Lloyd and crew in Pine Bush on the 20th for a 'real' tune. I suppose I'll have to remove the auto tune (seeing as I've deactivated it a month or 2 ago).

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, relocate the Autotune to a box on a shelf in your garage. Or better yet, sell it to recoup a few dollars to put towards whatever else the team at Lloyds suggests for your bike. You'll love what the professionals will do for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts
Yea, relocate the Autotune to a box on a shelf in your garage. Or better yet, sell it to recoup a few dollars to put towards whatever else the team at Lloyds suggests for your bike. You'll love what the professionals will do for you.
That right there.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
We'll see what happens in a week :)

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts

·
13,003 Posts
Guys here is your chance. Kevinx has his dyno up for sale 20K
Now you can tune whenever you want