Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the dissemination of smarts begin...
Can someone educate me on the basics of stage and level upgrades? I see everyone talking about stage this and level that but have to sit back and nod stupidly... Is there a guide somewhere?:confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Stage 1 is a slip on pipe and re-flash of the ECU.....

Everything else after that is up for interpretation. Some may even say I'm not going far enough in my description of Stage 1.

You'll get as many iterations as there are people on this board if they all replied.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here's mine.

ST 1 is bolt on. Pipes, air control, reflash. Might want to include peripheral stuff like brake pads, throttle mods.
ST 2 is streetable bolt in. Above plus cam, fuel control, clutches, aftermarket suspension and/or brake parts, ratios, any reversible mods.
ST 3 is non street non reversible. Heads, bottoms, barrels, cases, blowers, the sky is the limit. Streetability will be sacrificed for numbers.

So, bolt on, bolt in, all in.

None of the above is smart which will be proven by the umptyzillion guys who have bikes that fall between those cracks. Especially stage 2 work which is way more wide open than my definition would indicate.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
How I see it...
Stage One is yr basic dealer package, pipes, filter, reflash.
Stage 2 could be pipes, intake,timing wheel, PCV
Stage 3 the above plus cams
Stage 4 the above plus big bore, forced and/or chemical induction and the heavier clutch to cope

next please...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can someone educate me on the basics of stage and level upgrades? I see everyone talking about stage this and level that but have to sit back and nod stupidly... Is there a guide somewhere?:confused:
Top, let me explain, while the other guy's explanations are neither correct or incorrect.

The term "Stage Upgrades" actually came from video games. Its stupid, terrible and worthless. Because in the world of building cars / bikes / etc. there is no "stages". In essence its become a marketing tool and the bad part is, its working... In essence they are saying...

Stage 1 - cheap ****, for the fukin tool bags who think a $20 air filter is going to get them 20+rwhp
Stage 2 - not as cheap ****. This you might actually have to pay someone to do for you.
Stage 3 - Serious ****, are you matching piston rings to the wall's composition? No? then you aren't Stage 3.

So as you can see from my humorous definitions this is what "stages" are...
Which is why everyone's answers are neither right or wrong... its because it can be whatever definition you chose. I CHOSE to FIND A NEW MECHANIC or parts guy when they start using those terms and let them know they are too stupid to touch any of my things with any form of tools. When they start talking about Stages I start asking the tough questions... for example. (I just replaced the piston rings on my RX7!) or (Man these new exhaust bearings sure do add a bit of kick off the line!") or (Man my new turbo needs to breath a bit, What new headers do you recommend?!)

Hope this helps Top, Semper Fi

PS... STAGES ARE FOR STRIPPERS, NOT CARS OR BIKES...

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I think most of the above is right, but everyone left out Stage 5. That's dilithium crystals and warp drive. I've got that on mine. The dyno numbers are AMAZING.

P.S. Obama is a communist.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question Sarge...just stupid answers.:confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Forget stages... forget anything available from a Victory dealer or anything with "Victory Performance" written on it. Lots of money for little or nothing.
http://www.lloydz.com
Do your research and get some professional help from the aftermarket.

To answer your question, the stages come from Harley's playbook.
Stage 1: Pipes/air filter/flash
Stage 2: The above w/cams
Stage 3: The above w/big bore kit or stroker crank

All Victory offers is stage 1 and after that you'll have to look elsewhere. The 'level 1' or 'level 2' are just loudness levels, neither of which is much louder than stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I know all about strippers and video games,most stages are familiar to me. Seeing half-crazy's response also gives me understanding as to why we deal with this in the motorcycle world... Thanks everyone for educating me.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Stage 1: Purchase motorcycle
Stage 2: Ride motorcycle like you stole it
Stage 3: Smile all the while

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think most of the above is right, but everyone left out Stage 5. That's dilithium crystals and warp drive. I've got that on mine. The dyno numbers are AMAZING.

P.S. Obama is a communist.
Stage 6 is the snowmobile tread kit from polaris right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts