Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured this and other forums looking for some clear and consice instructions for this with no avail so, I've taken it upon myself to document the process.

This thread will be updated as I progress.

First step in the process is installing the Isolator and related sub-harness.

In the following pic, I show where to tap into the existing wiring harness.
IMG_3002 (Large).jpg

Here I illustrate which wires are for what.
IMG_3004 (Large).jpg

Here's where I put the Isolator, secured by a zap tie.
IMG_3005 (Large).jpg

An expanded view...
IMG_3006 (Large).jpg

Here you can see where I connected the supplied wire taps and a cross-reference for the wire colors.
IMG_3008 (Large).jpg

More on next post....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This shot shows my "wire management". You can see where I routed the wires in a plastic loom which go back to the trailer connector plug.

IMG_3010 (Large).jpg

IMG_3011 (Large).jpg

This is as far as I've gotten but there's more to come later this week.

Hoping this "documentation" will help someone.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Great documentation!

Buellx72 has a plug and play adapter that you can connect inline no cutting or splicing required.

It connects using the factory connectors to the tail/stop/turn lights .

You did an excelent job documenting the install so far.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Great documentation!

Buellx72 has a plug and play adapter that you can connect inline no cutting or splicing required.

It connects using the factory connectors to the tail/stop/turn lights .

You did an excelent job documenting the install so far.

Cheers
And many of the 11's and newer come with the wiring and isolator built in, like mine did!!! Just locate the 4 wire pigtail.

·
Registered
848 Posts
And many of the 11's and newer come with the wiring and isolator built in, like mine did!!! Just locate the 4 wire pigtail.
2013, no piggy tail installed. Buellx72, uses the tail light connection just aft of the seat for installation of the jumper.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2013, no piggy tail installed. Buellx72, uses the tail light connection just aft of the seat for installation of the jumper.
Ya, I couldn't find that piggy tail either. My choice for location of the isolator kind of dictated where (and how) to connect to the stock wires and the fact that the instructions from Bushtec suggest it so kinda following their directions.

I did a bit more on the wiring last night so will post pics this evening.

BTW, anyone unbolting their gas tank and raising it up needs to pay attention to those "inside rubbers". One fell out and went down the hole in the frame back of the gas tank. I did not see it at first so after about 30 minutes looking everywhere else, I finally found it. Needed a wire with a hook on the end to fish it outta there LOL

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I'm thinking about it, I use a tester light (the kind that you connect to ground and stick the pointy end into the wire) to verify that I was taping into the correct wires.

What I discovered when testing the signal light wire, with the signal light turned on, is as soon as the tester penetrates the wire, the signal light stops working and you have to shut the key off and back on again for it to work (after removing the tester from the wire).

For some reason, that kills the light and switching the key off resets it.

Anyone know why this is?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Might have somethign to do withthe LED circut control. I am not sure how Ma Vic designed the electrical system, but on some vehicles the ECU Engine control Unit or Main computer regulates the electrical stuff and if a fault is detected it sets a code and disable that circut. Does Victory do this? Dunknow....

Just best guess.

·
Registered
848 Posts
PS real sorry to hear you lost your little rubber down the hole....

Glad you were about to fish it out... don't want any mini bikes showing up unexpectedly...

LOL

Cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more pic

Finished the connections to the Isolator so here's another pic of that. Trailer connection yet to come.

IMG_3564 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
ST: very nice job and write-up. Looks like you used the same isolator and harness from Electrical Connection that I did (for my mirrors).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, all done so here's the rest of it.

Completion of the Trailer wiring.

IMG_3583 (Large).jpg IMG_3582 (Large).jpg

Installing the Hitch. Follow the Directions supplied by Bushtec and DON'T TIGHTEN ANYTHING UNLESS IT SAYS SO. The following pics will assist in locating where things go.

IMG_3570 (Large).jpg IMG_3572 (Large).jpg IMG_3573 (Large).jpg

More on Next post ....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ST: very nice job and write-up. Looks like you used the same isolator and harness from Electrical Connection that I did (for my mirrors).
Thanks

I got everything from Bushtec. Price was the same so it was a simpler order.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By this thread it was my intention to "picturize" things so that anyone doing this install won't be standing there scratching their head and calling bushtec for help every 5 minutes. Their instructions certainly fall short of "descriptive"; however, in their defence it's probably designed more for a shop where they install these regularly. For a novice with some wrenching experience that's doing this for the first time, the more help the better.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So, I did mine same as yours. Had trailer hooked up, everything worked like a charm, took it for a test ride, all is well. Un hooked trailer, its rained for last couple of days, went to take bike out for a ride, both signal lights on dash are on, signal lights are not on however? Unplugged the isolaster signal light connections, everything back to normal? Guess I need to call Electrical Connections and ask wtf is going on?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Update: talked to a Phil @ Electrical Connections, very good guy, knew Immediately what I was talking about! Stated that a 4 wire set up will not work well on the new Victory's and they have had some problems with the 5 wire set up. He is sending a Diode assembly to put in line before the isolator. I have to pay the shipping and Diode assembly is free! Just wanted to state for the record that THEY ARE A STANDUP COMPANY! Will advise how this set up works after I get it in about a week!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: talked to a Phil @ Electrical Connections, very good guy, knew Immediately what I was talking about! Stated that a 4 wire set up will not work well on the new Victory's and they have had some problems with the 5 wire set up. He is sending a Diode assembly to put in line before the isolator. I have to pay the shipping and Diode assembly is free! Just wanted to state for the record that THEY ARE A STANDUP COMPANY! Will advise how this set up works after I get it in about a week!
Mine is a 5 wire and I've had no problems. That said, I haven't pulled a trailer since last summer either LOL but no issues with lights then or since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
SilvrT,

Thanks for the excellent job with the documentation. Used this to guide me through the install of the Busthtec hitch and wiring on my bike. Much more instructive than those provided by Bushtec, but as you mention, those are probably geared toward a shop, or someone who does this more often.

photo 5.jpg

photo 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
SilvrT,

Thanks for the excellent job with the documentation. Used this to guide me through the install of the Busthtec hitch and wiring on my bike. Much more instructive than those provided by Bushtec, but as you mention, those are probably geared toward a shop, or someone who does this more often.

View attachment 83882

View attachment 83898
Nice set up, what brand trailer is that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts