Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a little nudge from a friend, I got the bug to cruise. As a guy quickly approaching retirement age, file this under, "It's never too late to start!" Right? thumb up

I've 'dirtbiked'; Barstow-to-Vegas-like stuff and tight, nasty, technical northwest trails all my life..... but I've have never been on a cruiser (unless you count test rides 30+ years ago when I worked for Beaverton Honda as a mechanic. Man have bikes changed since the days of the XS1100 and the Honda Intercepter!

So today, wifee & I went to do some butt-tests. No time for test rides just yet. As all you aged folks know, the knees are shot. The hips are shot. The hands are shot. :p So finding a ride that doesn't knot up my 6'2" plus frame is first and foremost. 2nd (and actually more important cuz without her buy-in I'm back to dumping $$$ into my cummins) is to find something she likes and is comfortable passenger-ing.

Wandering story winding down: Put my butt on every new Indian & Victory they had (plus a couple jap bikes) and the conclusion is.....

Victory for the win!!! and its gonna be either a Vision or XC Tour.

The only thing I need to sort out to break the tie is this: 1) Wifee is a short lil thing. The XC looks like it has height-adjustable pass boards whereas the Vision does not. They seemed to be just a bit of a reach for her (without boots on tho)

The Vision on the other hand has that really nice tailbone supporting wrap-around seat whereas the XCT (both having that super nice wraparound backrest worked into the luggage carrier) has more of a flat rear butt pad....

She likes the Vision a bit more. I'm torn because they are both sweet bikes! Different styles obviously, but damn nice the both of them

Test-rides are required next! cheers and finally to find the best deal. Worst time of the year to buy a bike!!! :ltr:

Side note: I was not impressed with the salesdudes at either dealer. Motoplex guy seemed distracted and Mt Vernon kid tho friendly was a lil short on knowledge. It's all good tho!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome Duffer! You might want to remind your wife of the difference in storage space between the two bikes. The Vision is sweet though as most Vision riders are quick to say. ;)
heh ... gotta agree about the storage space. If your wife is like mine, when we stop at the grocery store for a "few things for supper" she tends to forget we're riding the scoot and not in the truck LOL!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Welcome to the Victory Forums! You really should ride both with the wife. You may find that she likes the Vision seat better but the fixed fairing drives you nuts or that the X bike seat fits better and the buffeting drives you nuts. When you start researching after the rides you'll find that you can change windshields but you can't change a fixed fairing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Both are great bikes. They both handle well, have grunt and are comfortable. I really like the way the Vision feels and handles and unlike some - always thought it was a really nice looking bike (not to "futuristic"). I ended up getting the cross Road mainly because of how the saddle bags open and how much storage they have compared to the Vision. i do alot of overnight/week long trips and need the space, esp if the Mrs is coming.....If you are a day cruiser the storage may not be such a big issue. Either way you can't go wrong, welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx all!

Yup, gotta do some test rides next.

I chatted with a few 'local' used Vision sellers today in between Mom's day activities. Even tho it's the perfect season NOT TO BUY A BIKE :p there are some decent deals out there.

Economy being what it is these days, if we want to ride this summer the purchase is going to be a used bike. New is just too much of a stretch.

It's all good tho! thumb up

Ride safe all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts