Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, decided to take the plunge (so to say) and open up my fairing to do a little work.

I have seen a couple posts on getting into the fairing, thought I would share maybe a little more info for those thinking/needing to get in there.

There are 8 socket head bolts holding the fairing on, 4 on each side. 3 on each side are exposed down the side, the 4th is hidden under the speaker grills. You also need to remove the headlight. Don't forget to unplug the turnsignal connectors (small square connectors on each side)

I was very surprised at how easy the grills come off. I was worried about breaking something but just slipped a small "L" shaped allen in thru a hole at the pointy end of the grill and pulled gently. There is only one keeper that snaps into a rubber grommet, the other end of the grill has retaining tabs.

That was the easy part, the next part was a little un-nerving for me (again afraid of breaking something). Once the bolts are the outer fairing is still not free. You need to grab at the top (vent location) and at the top opening of the headlight, lift up and pull, there are 2 straight snap tabs that help hold the fairing on.

I wanted to do the following work:
Install BadBoy horn
Install hardwired power for my GPS
Install Flash-2-Pass (garage door opener)
Clean up my previous HID install

First thing is the GPS wiring. I found a hardwire kit for my Garmin on EBay and decided to tap off the fairing power-outlet. I wanted to hardwire the GPS for a couple reasons, biggest was I hated all the cord for the car plug blowing in the wind and getting tangled, second was to free up the power outlet for other things.

I used Posi-Taps to tap into the wires going to the power outlet. These things are the chit, way better than those Vampire style clamps to tapping into wires.

I ran the GPS connector out the top of the fairing

Note: if you decide to pull that top plate, you will need to remove the 2 screws, and one of the windshield mounts. There are a few tabs that slip into the backside of the main dash panel also

Be sure to drill you access hole to clear the aluminum frame but staying under the top windshield piece.

cont'd.....

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I added some weather stripping under the top windshield panel in the hopes of reducing some of the noise/rattle I get sometimes. I put a notch at the bottom of that piece and used a rubber grommet to clean things up where the wire exits.

Now onto the horn install, I got some of that steel bracket material from Lowes and made a Z shaped bracket to mount the horn next to the radio, that area is wide open on my bike (have heard maybe the California models have something there)

Wiring was straight forward, used the original horn wires to trigger the relay, ran fused power up from the battery. Made everything quick disconnect (just in case :D)

Then cleaned up my HID install. Mounted the F2P to the frame wall with 3M tape and tapped into the highbeam wires with more of those Posi-Taps.

Here is everything less the horn

There is a lot of space inside this fairing. I took a picture after everything was back together less the headlight to show the clearance.

And here is the GPS mounted

Maybe this will help the next guy a little with their project inside the fairing.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I added some weather stripping under the top windshield panel in the hopes of reducing some of the noise/rattle I get sometimes. I put a notch at the bottom of that piece and used a rubber grommet to clean things up where the wire exits.

Maybe this will help the next guy a little with their project inside the fairing.
Nice writeup. Based on the way you hooked it up, is there an "Aux" setting on the radio that lets you hear it thru the speakers?

Also interested in your assessment of the horn.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Great pics and write up! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. thumb up

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice writeup. Based on the way you hooked it up, is there an "Aux" setting on the radio that lets you hear it thru the speakers?

Thanks
The GPS hookup is strictly power, if I turn up volume I can hear it fine over road noise and traffic.

I was very surprised by the horn. I was afraid installing inside the fairing would mute it some, but I can,t tell a difference in volume between open fairing and,everything buttoned up.

The wolo/stebel type horns are bulky and limit instlation areas due to their size, but all the space inside the fairing make it an ideal location. And they are extremely LOUD!

·
Registered
133 Posts

Thanks
If you are using the Garmin 660 and the Vic integration harness, the GPS cuts out the radio for the voice directions. No need to be on Aux.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow

Amazing work, the GPS mounting looks like the ideal location. If I ever find myself in the Dayton area I may have to stop in for some custom fairing work myself...thumb up

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Amazing work, the GPS mounting looks like the ideal location. If I ever find myself in the Dayton area I may have to stop in for some custom fairing work myself...thumb up
Just say the word I have the toolscheers

I like the GPS location, it is well protected from weather while riding. I keep a ziplock baggy in the saddle bag for extra protection. Couldnt see paying the money for a motorcycle specific unit. Mine is a 5" widescreen Garmin with lifetime maps for less than $100 last black friday

·
Registered
13 Posts
LazyDog...do you happen to still have your fairing apart or did you get to where you could see the back of the stereo system?

I have a Wild West Customs fairing on my XR with a Sony head unit. I'm not positive, but my gut tells me that the factory head units in the XC are made by Sony. So...what I ultimately want to find out is if the factory remote sound controls will mount up to my Sony head unit. Most Sony's use what's called a Unilink connection and I'm just trying to confirm before spending alot of money for nothin!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Did this to mine a couple of months ago.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LazyDog...do you happen to still have your fairing apart or did you get to where you could see the back of the stereo system?

I have a Wild West Customs fairing on my XR with a Sony head unit. I'm not positive, but my gut tells me that the factory head units in the XC are made by Sony. So...what I ultimately want to find out is if the factory remote sound controls will mount up to my Sony head unit. Most Sony's use what's called a Unilink connection and I'm just trying to confirm before spending alot of money for nothin!
Not still open but here is a close up pic of the back of the radio. don't see any mention of Sony. But maybe with the info you can research a little further

Did this to mine a couple of months ago.

Cool install, that is a thick cable, I assume your's is fully integrated into the bike system??

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Not still open but here is a close up pic of the back of the radio. don't see any mention of Sony. But maybe with the info you can research a little further

Cool install, that is a thick cable, I assume your's is fully integrated into the bike system??
Yep...GPS is also bluetoothed into helmet and Iphonethumb up

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe the radio is made by Radio Sound in Kentucky they use to supply HD until they went to Harmon Kardon

Radio Sound Inc
1713 Cobalt Drive
Louisville, Ky 40299
(502)267-6768 or (800)367-4506
Fax (502) 267-6794

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
LD, Would you have any idea if, after the horn install, there would still be room for a Fosgate amplifier? I want to do the horn now, and the amp later, but dont want to put the horn in the fairing IF it will prevent the amp from fitting.

thx

greg

·
Registered
566 Posts
LD, Would you have any idea if, after the horn install, there would still be room for a Fosgate amplifier? I want to do the horn now, and the amp later, but dont want to put the horn in the fairing IF it will prevent the amp from fitting.

thx

greg
Hey Greg,

I didn't do the install myself but the Fosgate amp and the Stebel horn are both in my fairing so, yes, they do fit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
LazyDawg FANTASTIC JOB!! And an awesome job on the pics and posting. Its guys like you to that take this forum to the next lever above the others!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts