Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time since I've been riding in the 12 years riding. I had about a dozen Hells Angels almost plow me over on the highway. I was riding about 70 in the fast lane and all of a sudden they were on top of me and than passing me, kind of passing me close, Saw there colors and vest stating Hells Angles, Arizona chapter, and I got to say they were kind of intimidating driving tight formation, zig zaging through traffic. Thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had encountered a motorcycle club (gang)?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nope, don't even know if any exist in MI, (intimidating clubs anyway). I bet that was pretty crazy though!!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
This is the first time since I've been riding in the 12 years riding. I had about a dozen Hells Angels almost plow me over on the highway. I was riding about 70 in the fast lane and all of a sudden they were on top of me and than passing me, kind of passing me close, Saw there colors and vest stating Hells Angles, Arizona chapter, and I got to say they were kind of intimidating driving tight formation, zig zaging through traffic. Thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had encountered a motorcycle club (gang)?
You got intimidated by a group of bikes that drove past without bothering you at all?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Speed limit? in the fast lane? Move over and be glad they weren't in Suburbans. You were impeding traffic, and unless you did something to them or owe them money they could probably care less about you.

cheers

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was merged into a group riding along one day. I was traveling faster than they were but they apparently needed my lane. The groups lead rider waved me past. I rode by him in the same lane and went on my way. Some club out of PA, nice bikes. Really I have nothing against clubs, I think they have too many rules and requirements for my tastes, I prefer to decide when and where I ride and with whom.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Speed limit? in the fast lane? Move over and be glad they weren't in Suburbans. You were impeding traffic, and unless you did something to them or owe them money they could probably care less about you.

cheers
thumb up In many states, driving in the "fast lane" without actually passing another vehicle, is illegal. Hopefully, more citations will be handed out to drivers who, for whatever reason, forgo driving etiquette and common courtesy by unnecessarily hanging in the fast lane. The fast lane is for passing ONLY.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thumb up In many states, driving in the "fast lane" without actually passing another vehicle, is illegal. Hopefully, more citations will be handed out to drivers who, for whatever reason, forgo driving etiquette and common courtesy by unnecessarily hanging in the fast lane. The fast lane is for passing ONLY.
Right-On Brother !!! one of my biggest pet peives

·
Registered
690 Posts
thumb up Hopefully, more citations will be handed out to drivers... The fast lane is for passing ONLY.
That may be the most duche bag statement I have heard(read) in a long time. Toooooo many cops handing out too many tickets for crap reasons these days, and for any driver to encourage it, makes me want to puke. Seriously guy.... Get a life or something.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've encountered many clubs, there are only 3 "one percenter" clubs in my area that are active though. Never payed them any mind... I just go about my business. As far as the other clubs they are very active in creating charity rides, so I rub elbows with them a lot.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
That may be the most duche bag statement I have heard(read) in a long time. Toooooo many cops handing out too many tickets for crap reasons these days, and for any driver to encourage it, makes me want to puke. Seriously guy.... Get a life or something.
Driving obliviously in the fast (leftmost) lane is a "douche bag" thing to do! It's thoughtless, selfish, and inconsiderate! It can unnecessarily tie up traffic and inhibit those around you. Typically, these people drive with complete tunnel vision; they are unaware of anyone, or anything around them. Often, they'll jump on at an on ramp, and immediately cut across multiple lanes of traffic, just to get to that left side (and several times cut right through my lane in front of me, causing me to avoid them) These are the people who need to be informed that they are being complete douche's, and if it takes getting pulled over by a cop and handed a citation, good !!! maybe they'll learn! They rank just barely above those moron's who drive 5-10mph below the speed limit on a two lane for miles, only to speed up as you try to pass them!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You got intimidated by a group of bikes that drove past without bothering you at all?
Being a single rider most of the time and having about a dozen just zip on by the way they were zig zaging through traffic was a little intimidating. And by observing the traffic they were intimidating the cars also. As far as being in the fast lane if you don't know the situation why comment. The speed limit is 55 in that area of the highway and oviously they were going well above 70 to pass me. And I have not seen any law that states that the left lane is for passing only. I don't have anything against any club, to each their own. Im sure they really didn't care about me and it was not like I chased them down to say what the hell. It was just interesting to observe because I never encountered it before. Sometimes posting conversations on this site brings out unnecessary jabs. But again to each there own and I can handle it.cheers

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Some states (Oregon) do have left-lane passing laws. CO does not, or at least it's not posted on their interstates and 4-lanes highways as it is in OR. ID doesn't have one either, and Utah certainly does not, because people in UT will go 90 in the right lane and 65 in the left all day. I've actually been forced to pass people in the right lane while driving I-84 and I-15 in UT because they were going 10 miles an hour below the posted in the left-hand lane.

...Utah gives me heartburn.

Anyway, we have Brother Speed out here...they've actually got a chapter house in Burley, which is about 40 minutes east of me here in Twin. I've never actually seen them in large groups, and they seem to keep a pretty low profile in our area.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You ain't lived til you've been buzzed by a Busa at >150 mph! Hell, I had my dipshit riding partner just do it to me the other day on his Gold Wing at an indicated 130.

Anyway, I can see how in light traffic one might move over to the left to get a clear view of the road ahead. I can also see how people going well over the speed limit can come up on you quick and it can be a little startling.

I can kinda go both ways on this. If someone is being obnoxious and using the left lane as a road block, I'd be all for the cops issuing a citation. That doesn't sound like it was the case with you however.

Anyway, I think your story is kinda cool. Most groups of cruiser riders I've run across ride really slow and often impede traffic. Refreshing to hear of a group of cruiser riders that like to ride with a little gusto.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
"Misuse and common practice

Common practice and most law on United States Highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..."[3]

It is also illegal in many states in the U.S. to use the "far left" or passing lane on a major highway as a traveling lane (as opposed to passing), or to fail to yield to faster moving traffic that is attempting to overtake in that lane. For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane...[4]
"

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ride / drive in the far left lane constantly, but it's only because I have a friggin lead foot and am always passing people! =)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Nothing wrong with ridn in the fast lane infact its on an average alot smoother because the semis tear up the right lane..NOW saying that it pisses me off when someone is in the fast lane wont move and I want by and they jam me up pacing the car in the slow lane..Now thats absolute crap..If there is traffic and I am riding in the fast lane a I move over when someone is overtaking me..its all about give and take out there. On my bike I put myself in the safest place I can be no matter what lane im in..But to say its for passing only and stay out of the fast lane is BS..

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I ride / drive in the far left lane constantly, but it's only because I have a friggin lead foot and am always passing people! =)
That's what the 90 year old granny thinks too as she's cruising at half the speed limit in the fast lane. :ltr:

I guess the rule that always works is to use best judgement. If someone's coming from behind, faster than you, you're responsible to check your mirrors and move over. If you don't, then they could ruffle your feathers as they pass anyway.

Sometimes you can't move to the other lane, but you can always share your lane, and signal the bike behind that you are aware of them passing, and wave them through. They'll appreciate the gesture, and you'll get passed safer, and won't have a brown stain on your seat.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
1. I agree with Sman. We don't know his situation and the jabs at him are unnecessary. He had an interesting story about being overtaken by a large number of bikes very quickly. I could see how that would be intimidating. Thanks for the story, Sman.

2. In a completely unrelated comment, if your ride in the left lane on a highway and don't yield to faster moving traffic you're not only an idiot, your a safety hazard. Don't put yourself and others at risk and make all bikers look bad just so you can take some self-righteous stand on how you "deserve" to be there.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
But to say its for passing only and stay out of the fast lane is BS..
It's absolutely NOT BS. That is a total misconception. In most states, it IS for passing only, and you can get a ticket for riding/driving in it, even if no one else is near you.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts