Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please do not mess this post up with oil thread bashing plz.

I was just wondering do you buy 2 gals of T6 and save the rest for next time or do you add a different Rotella product creating a blend?

Thank you for all serious answers to my question.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
For my latest change, I bought a 2.5 gal container of T4 and used a bit less than half. The rest will sit on the shelf until it's time for the next change.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I thought we were suppose to use the Shell T6 ? ? or are you mixing the T6 and T4.......... I need to change mine now but haven't because I torn between the T6 and my usual Castrol 10W40 Motorcycle oil

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I figured "What the hell" and gave T4 a try. Either one should work since they are both JASO-MA rated. I'm not mixing it, I'm just using it straight.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Can't remember if the T4 is a synthetic. I know the T6 is. All I saw was a T6 that was a 15W40 I think. or maybe it was a 5W40.
Seemed a bit thin to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
T6 is 5w40 and synthetic, T4 is 15w40 and is semi-synthetic I believe.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Does it seem to work ok for you ? Motor sound any different ? What did you use before ?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I used T6 all year last year. This month, for the halibut, I figured I'd try T4. Motor doesn't sound any different (than I can tell, I did put different pipes on). SO far, no issues and I don't expect there will be. No real reason why, but if anyone here knows me, they know I am always futzing with stuff, even if it's working fine ;)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Gotcha... I think I'll gas up and take a little ride, then change oil. Still haven't decided on the oil...Thanks friend and have a good day.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
To address the OP's question; I'm a devout T-6 user and have only their gallon jugs on the shelf. When doing a change, I use one entire jug and a bit from a second. Then it becomes my "a bit from the second jug."
Re mixing; I'm also a KISS guy; Keep It Simple Stupid. T-6 has been good for my engine in many ways: smoother shifting, quiet starts even when cold, etc. And after inadvertently running it over 7K miles, I sent a sample in to be analyzed and the report came back very positive and they said there's at least 2,500 more miles to go on it! Now, with that info, why would I ever want to use anything but straight T-6?
FYI: There's a $7 mail in rebate going on for Rotella at O'Reilly's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
T6 is 5w40 and synthetic, T4 is 15w40 and is semi-synthetic I believe.
T4 is a 15w40 diesel dino oil, not semi-synthetic. The T5 is semi-synthetic, can be had in both 10w30 and 15w40, but not sure if it is JASO-MA rated(?)

Dusty

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see a JASO-MA rating on the T5 15w40 when I bought the T4.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've used Ric's method for some time as well. Except I have to do it for two bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
To address the OP's question; I'm a devout T-6 user and have only their gallon jugs on the shelf. When doing a change, I use one entire jug and a bit from a second. Then it becomes my "a bit from the second jug."
Re mixing; I'm also a KISS guy; Keep It Simple Stupid. T-6 has been good for my engine in many ways: smoother shifting, quiet starts even when cold, etc. And after inadvertently running it over 7K miles, I sent a sample in to be analyzed and the report came back very positive and they said there's at least 2,500 more miles to go on it! Now, with that info, why would I ever want to use anything but straight T-6?
FYI: There's a $7 mail in rebate going on for Rotella at O'Reilly's.
How many miles do you have on that beast?

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
How many miles do you have on that beast?
Sadly, only 38K miles. Pretty bad for a 8 year old bike, eh? In my defense, I hada traveling biz that had me on the road more than half the year. Sold it 3 years ago, so I'm adding more miles these days.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your posts and for staying on point. You are awesome! Yes Ricz. The rebate is exactly why I am asking :wink

·
Registered
328 Posts
I buy a qt jug and use 1/3 of it + gallon with each oil change. I find it easier than using a partial gallon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I sue the T6 with no issues. That includes heavy Chicago traffic for 3 h-4 hours stop and go and cross country.

No issues with shifting or engine heat.

·
13,002 Posts
Thank you all for your posts and for staying on point. You are awesome! Yes Ricz. The rebate is exactly why I am asking :wink
So what are you going to use. Rebate shouldn't even play into what you use

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what are you going to use. Rebate shouldn't even play into what you use
I am going to be picking up 2 gals of T6 today and a Wix filter. And sure the rebate plays into it. It makes this oil change even that much more affordable. I have been itching to give the T6 a try.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts