Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped into the dealer today, and they received their first Boardwalk. Only in black, would like to see the white pearl with the chrome, but didn't care for the chrome w/ the black paint.

Seat sits you back a bit farther than the Kingpin, and even with the new beach bars, they still seem a bit of a reach. Probably appreciated more by a taller or long armed rider.

It was decent looking, but wouldn't trade my 'Pin for one.
I did ask about the laced wheels and tubes or not.. he said the rims are sealed and there is no tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I walked into my dealer's place a few days ago and the first bike that you see is a Boardwalk in white, looks like there's some metal flake in it.

Not a bad looking bike but I'm not big on the over all look, the big wrap-around rear fender, the crazy wide beachbar and the odd looking plastic panel that bulges out from under the seat, it's just not my thing I guess but maybe it grows on you after awhile.

In my most humble opinion the Kingpin was a better looking bike, plus didn't the Kingpin have the inverted front forks? Which are supposed to be better then the conventional forks on this Boardwalk bike.

This new bike and the fact that you can only get the Cross Roads with softbags now seem like a mistake on Victory's part.

It looks like the new 2013 Cross Countrys come with tubular engine guards instead of the more expensive forged bars but at the same price as the 2012 Cross Countrys with the forged bars. You're getting cheaper engine guards but not getting the bike cheaper.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I like it. I don't like spoke wheels, because of the tubes, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I'll decide whether I truly like it after the demo truck comes my way. Probably won't be until spring, now.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
My next bike will probably be a Ducati... Maybe I can adapt some hard cases to the Diavel.

I will keep the Kingpin as long as I can get parts to keep re-building it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I hate when people tell you some speculation of theirs... as if it were factual. What a dorkfish.
Polaris did buy Indian and Indian DID have a patent on tubeless spoked rims so perhaps the marketing folk are telling the salespeople that the rims on the Boardwalk ARE those tubeless rims. Could just be a case of "garbage in, garbage out", couldn't it? Has anyone had a chance to actually look INSIDE these rims to see if they have tubes (Victory part catalogs have been wrong in the past too so they might be in error here as well, right?)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Diavel is a nut number. Bad seating position with mid controls

·
Registered
84 Posts
I walked into my dealer's place a few days ago and the first bike that you see is a Boardwalk in white, looks like there's some metal flake in it.

Not a bad looking bike but I'm not big on the over all look, the big wrap-around rear fender, the crazy wide beachbar and the odd looking plastic panel that bulges out from under the seat, it's just not my thing I guess but maybe it grows on you after awhile.

In my most humble opinion the Kingpin was a better looking bike, plus didn't the Kingpin have the inverted front forks? Which are supposed to be better then the conventional forks on this Boardwalk bike.

This new bike and the fact that you can only get the Cross Roads with softbags now seem like a mistake on Victory's part.

It looks like the new 2013 Cross Countrys come with tubular engine guards instead of the more expensive forged bars but at the same price as the 2012 Cross Countrys with the forged bars. You're getting cheaper engine guards but not getting the bike cheaper.
Touting inverted forks as a absolute virtue of a "good" bike is misleading. The conventional forks work just fine for the way most of us ride. Plus how many Kingpin units did Victory sell over the last 4-5 years as a percentage of total sales? That will probably be the most telling fact.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Touting inverted forks as a absolute virtue of a "good" bike is misleading. The conventional forks work just fine for the way most of us ride.
It's not a matter of being virtuous. It's the fact that they once came with better components and sold for less money. If you want to do an 8-Ball job on a bike to make it more affordable, that's fine, but don't kill the original and then expect to sell me the 8-Ball version for more.

Plus how many Kingpin units did Victory sell over the last 4-5 years as a percentage of total sales? That will probably be the most telling fact.
Towards the end, they didn't try to hard with the paint selections. They did have a couple knock out paint schemes over the years though.

BTW, I was thinking about your seat issue. Have you ever given any thought to trying an Air Hawk? I use one on my XR for the sole reason of raising me up a little to look over the windscreen, but it has the side benefit of being very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My next bike will probably be a Ducati... Maybe I can adapt some hard cases to the Diavel.
If you have sufficient inseam, I'd check out the bike to its right called the Multistrada. It's far more useful and won't lead to any tears when the tech bangs up the ostentatious rims changing tires.

The one nice thing about Ducs is they come insanely powerful right out of the crate. But fear not, you will make up for the lack of hop up costs in service bills.

I loved my Ducs, but I don't miss buying their mechanics ocean front summer homes...

·
Registered
530 Posts
But fear not, you will make up for the lack of hop up costs in service bills.
I loved my Ducs, but I don't miss buying their mechanics ocean front summer homes...
cheers:ltr: amen! if you can find a shop that services Ducati nearby. I know where I live, nobody within a 2-hour drive would touch them unless it was an oil change, brake pads, inspection, or chain/sprockets. hence the reason I am no longer riding a Monster and instead a Hammer...
That and i am having more fun riding my hammer for longer rides and being able to take my little guys for rides. Don't get me wrong, I love my Monster, but the Hammer is much more fun IMHO.

thumb up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts