Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so now that I'm riding a cruiser 100% of the time, it feels weird to wear gauntlets, and life is just "easier" wearing short cuff gloves.

But lately, I dunno... I've been feeling exposed, and worry about the possibility of causing irreparable damage to my hands, particularly the scaphoid, if I were to go down. It just seems impossible to find a thoroughly protecting short cuff glove, and after a LOT of searching, nothing outside of the Knox Handroid Pod has scaphoid protection in a short cuff. I love Handroids, only sold mine when I stopped sportbike riding... but the Pod still has too much cuff for my liking.

So I came across ONE single pair of gloves that actually uses Knox SPS (Scaphoid protection system) just like on the Handroids. And tons of protection everywhere else too. Yes of course being a short cuff, you lose wrist and other protection, but what IS covered is as protected as it would be in a full racing glove.

Problem... no US distribution. I searched everywhere. So I decided I'll pay the ridiculous price after USD-GBP conversion and shipping to order a set. Found a dealer on eBay willing to ship to the US and bought them that way.

Material

Full grain leather
Kangaroo leather to palm

Protection

Knox SPS - scaphoid Protection system
TPU shell armour

Features

Integrated TPU reinforcement armour to knuckles and fingers
Twin layered leather to impact points
Stretch panels to top of hand and top of fingers to aid fit and flexibility
Chamude overlay panel to palm for improved grip
External stitching to palm for improved comfort and fit
Adjustable velcro retained strap to wrist and cuff

Review here: http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/weise-daytona-motorcycle-glove-review

They list Fowler Distribution in the US, but Fowler doesn't process orders for them, I tried. Ended up paying $140 with shipping to the US from across the pond.

I could not possibly be happier. I am as blown away with the quality of these gloves as I was when I first got my Handroids.

The fit is dead on, I wear a large, bought large and they fit perfectly. Actually better than some of my other gloves, less extra material in the length of the fingers. I sometimes have to pass on gloves due to excess material in the pinky and thumb.

Knox SPS in two spots on the palm, just like the Biomechs/Handroids. Materials are leather, goatskin, Kevlar and a little carbon fiber. Fingers are outside stitched for interior comfort, but don't feel bulky at all.

Large stretch panel for the thumbs, and a large expansion panel under the armored knuckle area, providing a lot of flex.

For my needs, I had to have a short cuff, but I am tired of sacrificing protection in the areas that DO cover my body, and finally I have found (after an exhaustive search) a solid short cuff with maximum protection all around.

They have a cruiser glove kind of look until you get right up close and personal, so they don't look out of place, or "Power Ranger" like at all, yet provide the level of protection no other short glove has.

Previous post about gloves and protection:

The things you want to really try to find all in one glove, if you can:

Mixture of materials, leather alone isn't always the answer. If you get a leather glove with outer palm lining in impact areas made of kangaroo, it holds up better to abrasion. You want the toughest, and thickest application of materials at the base of the palm, up and around the thumb, and along the outside edge of the glove up to and around the pinky finger. These are the most likely areas to be affected if you go down, and the most vital areas of the hand. If you can't get compound materials, at least make sure these areas have a double layer of leather.

Scaphoid protection. Some gloves (the super premium gloves) will have some sort of skid plate, or smooth/hard material in the scaphoid area. In a high impact fall you want the glove to SLIDE out from under you, not grab the pavement. If a glove without these skid features goes down, the leather literally GRABS the pavement, and this can result in a few bad things happening:

1) The glove seams will burst and rip open. This exposes your bare hands to the rest of the impact and abrasion to follow.

2) If your body has enough forward momentum (not talking about falling at a walking pace here), the glove can stop the hand at the impact point, carrying your arm and body over it. This can result in a number of serious injuries such as broken wrists and multi-point radial shattering of several bones. A radial break can sometimes be unrepairable by the body and will require reconstructive surgery.

3) By the hand grabbing the pavement, it can throw your body into an end over end roll causing more damage to more areas of your body, particularly your neck and extremeties.

The scaphoid area is also vital because you have an artery there, called the radial artery. Obviously we all know what can happen if you tear through an artery and don't get immediate medical assistance.

This is your scaphoid:

A hard knuckle protector is always a good idea both for impact and abrasion. Also great for when you're riding and a rock flies up from that damn truck in front of you and whacks you in the knuckles.

The more padding in the palm by the way, the less fatigued your hands will become, especially if you have a bit of vibration in your bars.

The most comfortable gloves I ever owned were the Icon Pursuit gloves. Fits like a second skin, the perforated version breathes well, and they looked great. But they had almost zero protection, and the leather is almost tissue paper thin. They would have done nothing in a crash.

If you go here: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=Motorcycle+Gloves:Short+Cuff

And look at any glove pretty much that's OVER $75, you'll be getting the best in protection, and you'll surely find a style that looks right for you, and offers the weather needs you have (hot weather, cold winters, etc)

Now, IMO, this is the best you can get without getting into racing style gloves. A true short cuff that offers EVERY area of protection, including scaphoid:

Weise Daytona. A brand you've likely never heard of, most have not in the US. They employ Knox SPS (Scaphoid Protection System), and protect the scaphoid unlike almost any other short cuff. SPS is usually reserved only for full gauntlet racing gloves. They also have every protection feature you'd see in a racing glove (able to handle 180mph+ crashes) in a short cuff that you'd expect to see more on our types of bikes. If you get the black, it won't look much different than any other cruiser glove, and will look less sportbike-ish.
http://www.weise-clothing.co.uk/weise_2011/gloves/daytona.html

No one in the US sells them as far as I know, so you gotta order them from the UK.

Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They sure look like they offer a lot more protection than the deer skin gloves I'm used to.
For daily cruising, I prefer open-finger, deer skin as well. Although, check out this pair for that old school look... :ltr:
medieval_steel_gauntlets.jpg

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh. I'm not a 1%er, so I don't try to look like one. Fingerless gloves don't suit me.

There aren't any benefits to wearing them, so I often wonder why some do.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That is a great looking pair of gloves and probably well worth the money, but 140 bucks for a pair of gloves don't fit my budget. SOOO I will keep wearing Mechanix gloves.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Meh. I'm not a 1%er, so I don't try to look like one. Fingerless gloves don't suit me.

There aren't any benefits to wearing them, so I often wonder why some do.
Oh yeah? Just try to pick your nose in those fruity Euro gloves of yours and then get back to us!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a great looking pair of gloves and probably well worth the money, but 140 bucks for a pair of gloves don't fit my budget. SOOO I will keep wearing Mechanix gloves.
You could spend as little as $40 and get some darn good protection. Much better than mechanic's gloves...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah? Just try to pick your nose in those fruity Euro gloves of yours and then get back to us!
LOL thumb up

There is one added bonus that they don't advertise... you can work a touchscreen Smartphone with them on. Excellent if you're using your phone for navigation, or need to silence a missed text sitting at a light. Only a couple gloves out there can do that, and they don't have this level of protection.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Give some examples of some good 40.00 gloves. Not being a smart a$$ at all, I simpoly don't know and you seem to know. I am actually looking for some good riding gloves that have good protection and good dexterity as well as being able to operate all the controls, ie cruise, radio...etc.

Thanks,

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Give some examples of some good 40.00 gloves. Not being a smart a$$ at all, I simpoly don't know and you seem to know. I am actually looking for some good riding gloves that have good protection and good dexterity as well as being able to operate all the controls, ie cruise, radio...etc.

Thanks,
I'm happy to help.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4980

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7519

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8386 Scroll down to watch a video review on them

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/cruiser/cruiser+gloves/power+trip_grand+national+glove

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/cruiser/cruiser+gloves/tour+master_adventure-gel+gloves

1 - 11 of 11 Posts