Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not!
So, I have been wanting to pull the battery out to do a couple of things and it was a balmy 50 degrees today so I figure today is the day.
I think the manual lists 4 or 5 steps, remove chin fairing, undo cables pop bungee strap and voila.
Not so fast. Battery will not budge. Fut the wok? Gentle rocking, nada, careful prying around the edges, nope, rubber mallet, nothing. Back to the manual. Zoom up details looking for the secret handshake. Not a clue. This thing ought to come.
Backing up a bit, my Handy lift was in my trailer under my Indian when the trailer was stolen. The Queen and I have been somewhat transient during the last year and I haven't yet convinced myself that I want to drop another couple grand so I can lug around another lift table (although after today I'm giving it a lot of thought). So, I have the Cross Country up on my Craftsman jack which suffices but I still end up on my knees on the concrete which I am not a fan of.
Anyway by lunchtime I have dropped the outers of the chin fairing, unbolted the battery box from the frame and hauled the mess out. Battery, she no budge.
Turns out, some prevailing condition that I could give a hoot about cemented the battery to the rubber pads that keep the battery from catching all that vibration. After a session with a putty knife and a few choice words the battery and the battery box were liberated from each other. The rubbers are mostly intact but now carry a mirror image of the missing lettering that peeled off the battery during surgery.
I dunno if this has happened before but it ain't happening to Pop again. I lathered the rubbers with WD before reassembly and expect that will keep things from getting sticky going forward.
Adventures in motorcycling.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Way to persevere, Pop. cheers

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
Strange. Can't recall hearing this one before.

If memory serves; the WD-40's main ingredient is fish oil. Will probably work just fine but I probably would have used anti-seize. A little would go a long way on this application.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Pop, just wanted to thank you for creating this post last Feb.

I ran into the exact same thing today trying to remove my battery as I put the bike in storage. No budge at all. I almost gave up and put everything back together and say F it, but I figured I'd do a hail mary search here to see if someone else had experienced my issue.

So after reading your post, I took out my little crow bar and started to jimmy the battery from the bottom until it finally let go.

thumb up

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Good read, have to put that one back in the old memory bank. The upside is that if the batteries are in there that tight then vibration is not a huge issue for them.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Well , you guys aren't alone . I feel Pops pain . I broke my balls getting the battery out of my Hammer , same thing , glued to those dampeners in the box ... Also there is less then a millimeter of clearance to get it free from under the frame . :crzy:

·
13,262 Posts
Those Cross bike rattle so much they have to glues the batterys down.
Now if you would of bought a vision you wouldn't have that problem :ltr:

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Purely a case of Assaulting the Battery.:)

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now you have me worried. My garage can get down to -10F. This is my first year with the XCT. I always removed the battery in my VTX and stored in my basement, but just bought a Battery Tender and hooked it up for the winter. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Why are you removing the battery?

Why not just hook up the tender?
Well they're all going to need to come out sooner or later. Better to know up front that that's not a job to do hung over.

Lubing seems like a good idea, though I'd be a little concerned about the long term chemistry of applying a petroleum product to a plastic/rubber interface.

·
Registered
129 Posts
WD-40 can actually swell and soften some elastomers. It may even make it stick worse.

I would use a silicone lube. Or even cut a slip out of a thin plastic countertop cutting board sheet to put under the battery, perhaps.

Watch WD-40 with O-rings especially. It can swell them so much they will not go into place. If this happens, quite often in a day or two it will have shrunk back to normal size.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Had to put my XC to bed for the winter and the shed does not have electricity yet, too far away to just run an extension cord, plus it can sometimes dip below 20F. I pull the battery and keep it on a tender in my work area in the house.

·
Registered
212 Posts

No electric outlets in my storage unit. Believe me, I had an 'oh ****' moment when I realized that I couldn't just hook up the tender in the new storage place.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I guess I should feel lucky. It rains quite a bit here in Oregon. It get cold sometimes too. But wait a week or two and there will be a day I can sneak the bike out of the garage. Today is a high of 35*F. There was a little moisture the day before, so there is ice here and there, but I bet I'll be going for a ride Friday after work or Saturday after it warms up to 33*.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I guess I should feel lucky. It rains quite a bit here in Oregon. It get cold sometimes too. But wait a week or two and there will be a day I can sneak the bike out of the garage. Today is a high of 35*F. There was a little moisture the day before, so there is ice here and there, but I bet I'll be going for a ride Friday after work or Saturday after it warms up to 33*.
Now don't go telling them that...they'll want to move here and then our roads will get crowded on the three nice days we get each year.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts