Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would love to have ABS on my Jackpot. I think it's a worthwhile feature that is long over due for mainstream operation on bikes produced in America.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Interesting that the first and only go-down they show is a low sider caused by getting too hot in a turn. ABS would have done nothing to save that situation.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
OK, tell us about it. What was it like when you clamped 'em on?
I felt like I had full control of the Vision while braking hard....fortunately, I have never had to use them in a "catastrophic" type of event. I have had to put on the brakes pretty hard to avoid someone that pulled out in front of me and I felt in complete control of the bike - including steering her the direction I wanted to go.

My 08 Hammer did not have ABS and I had to pull the same maneuver and nearly skidded out of control.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I felt like I had full control of the Vision while braking hard....fortunately, I have never had to use them in a "catastrophic" type of event. I have had to put on the brakes pretty hard to avoid someone that pulled out in front of me and I felt in complete control of the bike - including steering her the direction I wanted to go.

My 08 Hammer did not have ABS and I had to pull the same maneuver and nearly skidded out of control.
Thanks for that, Spidy. I was curious as I have never heard from a rider who has experienced the use of ABS brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
OK, tell us about it. What was it like when you clamped 'em on?
It's like you stop. There is a pulsating feeling just like when you hit the anti-locks in a car. Honda has supposedly built a system that is so refined, the pulsations aren't even detectable.

It would have saved me some bucks on my last bike as I went off onto the shoulder to avoid a bus that stopped suddenly and unexpectedly in the road in front of me. I went onto the shoulder to get out of the way of the potential car behind me. Anyway, when I applied the front brake it grabbed road silt that had built up over the winter and washed the front tire pronto. The bike ended up under the bus.

If I had done that same thing on my anti-lock equipped FJR, there would have been no drama or expense.

I wish I had them on my current Vic. But I'll be more careful to use the back brake next time I have to make an evasive move onto a road's shoulder. It's a lot easier to control that end sliding around...

·
Registered
810 Posts
When the demo truck was at a nearby dealer I test rode a hardball- had to get on the binders pretty quick & felt the pulse thing- freaked me out at first, thought the brakes were broke or some chit...

My only negative thought on having a bike with ABS brakes is if you get comfortable having them, then get on a bike without them, it could get ugly.

That said, I think they are a good thing. But I chose to save the 1000 bucks, get a 2011, & go with what I have always rode...

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I bought a set of EBC-HH pads for the front of my XR from WitchDoctor. Heard and read a lot of good things about them and will report after the install and trials.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I was taught to pump my brakes , so naturally when I hit them hard panic sets in when they do not respond to the force I have applied. So you naturally hit them hard again to no avail. I was trained a certain way and it is impossible to relearn at my age. The only thing ABS is good for is on ice. When I start to lock up I let up as not to slide. That was how I was taught and you can not relearn that reaction. So if it is your first bike with ABS and the first bike you have every owned then it might be different..

·
Registered
810 Posts
I was taught to pump my brakes , so naturally when I hit them hard panic sets in when they do not respond to the force I have applied. So you naturally hit them hard again to no avail. I was trained a certain way and it is impossible to relearn at my age. The only thing ABS is good for is on ice. When I start to lock up I let up as not to slide. That was how I was taught and you can not relearn that reaction. So if it is your first bike with ABS and the first bike you have every owned then it might be different..
^^^what he said^^^

·
Registered
851 Posts
I agree with the "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" crowd. However, it is not a show stopper for me and I definitely won't trade in my 2010 XR just for an upgrade to ABS. And as was pointed out earlier, it won't help in every situation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I was taught the same way. My Kingpin tour did not have ABS and there were a couple of times in hard braking situations that the rear end began to lock. I compensated buy pumping and all is well.
Now that I have ABS I am sure that I won't need to pump because the pulsating will remind me that there is no need too. I think you can teach an old dog new tricks that old dog being me.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts