Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I became a member of the deer club this morning on my way to work. All I have to say is...thank you, thank you, thank you ABS. I was on a back road at daybreak and only traveling around 35mph when I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye. Crunched the breakes hard and heard that terrible collision noise. Felt the ABS engage and thought about relaxing before going over the handle bars. To my surprise, the CCT plowed right through and only smashed my front fender (although I will be getting the front forks checked out) and some other paint damage. The deer did not make out as well. It was not a full grown deer....probably 60 - 70 lbs. Thought it was DRT (dead right there) on the side of the road. Was able to pull the fender out and limp home to get my Jeep. When I came back, the deer was up, but a stream of blood was coming from its mouth and it was having trouble moving. Didn't have anything with me to finish the job. Felt bad about letting it stumble back into the woods.

Moral of the story....if you have a choice between a bike with ABS or not....Go ABS. I never lost control. The impact was in a perfectly upright stable riding position...and the bike didn't go down.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Glad to hear you made out ok , don't worry bout the deer , he will feed a couple carnivores by the end of the morning. I fear hitting a deer every morning on my way to work in the dark , I do a 15 mile stretch @ 40-45 MPH on a dark , winding , heavily wooded road . Scary at best . Its just a matter of time. Good luck with your bike , In MA there is no deductible on deer impacts . Maybe the same for you too .cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well, I became a member of the deer club this morning
What is this language you speak? We are supposed to be hearing from you typing stoned from your hospital bed about how you had to "lay'er down." All you guys with your fancy schmansy electronics are doing nothing but detracting from the skills one needs to properly control a bike sliding down the road on its gas tank!

I envy you. :D

Best of luck getting Vicky back out on the road.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...the man upstairs definately passed my way this morning. At least my airbag didn't deploy and I didn't have to use the rocket propelled ejector seat and parachute with accompanying lovely female Sweedish masusse to work out any after incident stiffness. Now I just have to figure out how to get it fixed....which, believe it or not has been rather problematic. None of the shops in my area work on bikes. I have Progressive Insurance. They have been great so far. A real person picked up the phone right away. A claims adjustor called me within a half hour of my initial call. He said to take it where ever I wanted and they would drop by to check it out and provide and estimate - or could stop by my house. Here's the problem....I'm not worried about the front fender - easy to replace. I'm not worried about messed up fairing/lowers paint.....easy to fix. I want to make sure my front forks aren't out of alignment. PROBLEM! Just called the dealer. They eyeball it and take it for a test ride. That may be OK...but I kind of had something more along the lines of a car laser alighment kind of thingie in mind. And...they aren't just right down the street. They are about 40 miles from my house. Just hate to find out I have a wobble at 80 after everything is fixed.....or seals that start leaking in a month.

·
13,239 Posts
your front end is pretty stout. Eye ball it and the wheel if it looks good. Go for a ride and slowly work your way up to 80 or a 100. That all the dealer will do. Check the fairing out hitting it with your hand.
Even look at your bags you never know.
Nice you not hurt all insurance company say aim for it don't try to avoid you could wind up in deeper trouble.
Remember you road it home so its not as bad as you think

·
Registered
155 Posts
You need to find yourself a "deer patch" now...

Glad your OK

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Fix up what you can but don't sign any settlement until you have ridden it enough to determine that the forks are OK. If they are, then sign a settlement.
Progressive insurance huh? Call George Soros and the DNC, they'll be glad to help since you helped them.:)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I experienced a similar situation today but managed to avoid the collision. I pulled out of my country place driveway and was accelerating toward a little wooded area when I saw something moving next to the road. Not sure what it was I slowed to about 20 MPH. As I got closer, 4 deer crossed left to right in front of me. After they were across I started to speed up and noticed that all of them were in the crop field to my right. Soon after one decided to leave the group and crossed the road right to left in front of me heading back into the woods. I noticed the 3 remaining deer heading into the woods from the open field on my right but I powered past them and started to forget about them. Less than 1/10th mile later I saw 2 more deer cross my path from right to left. They could not have been from the original 4 deer because they simply cannot move that fast. I think I managed to duck 6 separate deer but I am not sure that single deer was really one of the first group of 4. Maybe I ducked 7 deer in less than 1/4 mile.
I know a stretch of road that I do not want to ride at sunset again.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Fix up what you can but don't sign any settlement until you have ridden it enough to determine that the forks are OK. If they are, then sign a settlement.
Progressive insurance huh? Call George Soros and the DNC, they'll be glad to help since you helped them.:)
True , for this reason you couldn't give me Progressive Insurance for free. Their commercials suck too.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Glad you're okay. Did you at least cut out the back straps? Hate to see good meat go to waste. :sarcasm:, but I sure would have.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Bad luck, glad to hear you are still whole.

The machine can be fixed or replaced. Where I ride the deer don't care if I am there or not. Passed many just standing on the side of the road looking at me, with no signs of bolting.

I have found in my area if they are not spooked you are ok, if they are tunned up then all hell can break loose. Followed a guy this morning, blasted the horn at every deer he could see, all of them ran some into the road, soem away. Made of a interesting ride to work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad you made it through... A member of my MC out of a NJ chapter had a deer last weekend on a wing. He got knocked off, survived the deer but not the cage driven by the geriatric who didn't know "what" he hit. Ran over the rider, wing and deer. A just after dark crash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts