Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been living with this for a long time. I've cleaned the sensors, cleaned and dielectric greased the connectors, shimed the sensors in and out and swapped out the sensors. Every now and then the light will go out for a day or a week or two, but it always comes back on. I really like the ABS when it is working, and it drives me shithouse to have that light on. Anyone have similar issues?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The big question is: Is the ABS actually working when that light is on? I've tested my ABS on a gravel driveway - go about 5 MPH and grab a handful of front brake and release very quickly. Did your wheel slide or did ABS kick in?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Yep, but you'd have to be going quite a bit faster for that to take effect, and that would be one hell of a test... ;)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
To test the ABS, I would apply the rear brake only, on a smooth pavement road. If the wheel locks up, keep it locked until you come to a stop so you do not high side. If the wheel does not lock-up and you feel the brake pulsing, it's working. Make sure nobody's around you or you could get rear ended.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
That works too, but it's not nearly as fun as my way :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
my light has been on for sometime also , its on 90% of the time, i havent done anything though besides try keeping it clean, which is hard to do living on gravel. i figured it was a bad sensor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ABS only engages when the light is off. I live on a filthy, dusty unmaintained gravel road too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine is on quite often also, sometimes it goes off for a few days, then it will be on for a day or so. When its on you don't have ABS. Just this morning it was on and I had to hit the brakes for a deer, I tried to apply easily but heard the back tire chirp a little when it briefly locked up. Then on the ride home, it was off again. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I also have this intermittent signal or light on. I clean the censer by spraying water on it with the hose. wac

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a constant on light on my 13 XC.

Took it in....plugged into digital wrench and it indicated a bad front wheel sensor. Replaced and all is well.

Mine was covered under warranty....but I think the part was listed at about $100.

Not the end of the world.....I think a bad sensor is your likely culprit.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem appears to be fixed. Here is what I found.
First, I'm not sure what the original issue was. Whenever I did anything with the sensors such as clean or replace, I'd shim them so that there was a visible gap. Small, but there. I got to thinking maybe I should actually see what the spec is for the gap. Turns out, it needs 1 mm +/- .25 mm. The rear sensor was < than spec. I added a shim. Works fine this morning.
I can't wait to test the front ABS. EEK!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
hey thanks ! i will check mine too ! mine started shortly after my first rear tire change and has been intermittant since.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I might have put up with that light for a day or two but first night ride I had that thing in my field of view, administer black tape and make mental note to fix ASAP. I hate idiot lights reminding me that I am. I have a wife for that.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
The problem appears to be fixed. Here is what I found.

First, I'm not sure what the original issue was. Whenever I did anything with the sensors such as clean or replace, I'd shim them so that there was a visible gap. Small, but there. I got to thinking maybe I should actually see what the spec is for the gap. Turns out, it needs 1 mm +/- .25 mm. The rear sensor was < than spec. I added a shim. Works fine this morning.

I can't wait to test the front ABS. EEK!

any news on this? i looked at mine,need a feeler gauge to check, but mine almost looks to far away, not sure how to close the gap if it is , havent looked into it anymore then a glance though , mostly wondering if yours is still fixed?

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any news on this? i looked at mine,need a feeler gauge to check, but mine almost looks to far away, not sure how to close the gap if it is , havent looked into it anymore then a glance though , mostly wondering if yours is still fixed?

To adjust the gap, remove the sensor and add or remove shims. Don't get it so close ir gets ground up.
My light is back on again. I may need to go with the tape over the light.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts