Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I get on my bike today and the ABS light is on and the ABS is non functional. (Back tire locked up). I recently added a Delphi XM and was running some wires under the fairing, anything I can look for under there? Lots of wires in there but I’m not sure what’s what. Leaving for Tennessee onTuesday so anything to check would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am sorry that I cannot help. I have had my ABS light come on a number of times - usually after riding in the rain but that just indicated that the ABS was non-functional. It did not lock up the back tire.

Does anyone know how the ABS system works? Can it supply the pressure needed to press the brake pads onto the rotor or can that pressure ONLY come from your hand/foot? If the latter, then it would work by relieving the pressure being delivered by your hand/foot. I would tend to think that this pressure relief is the way it works since otherwise the ABS unit would have to have some sort of strong acting piston to apply the pressure to the system and I question whether that little box under the rear fender could have such a motor that would apply pressure. However, someone with more knowledge than I have should tell us how it works.

Assuming I am correct (big assumption) than your problem might not be with the ABS system but, rather, the foot brake is not releasing the pressure when you take your foot off the brake. Perhaps something in the rear brake master cylinder is broken or clogged.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally when pressing hard on the rear brake the pedal would pulsates and the rear tire would not lock up. Now it will. I did feel something funny using the rear brake earlier but just thought it was the ABS kicking in so didn't give it much thought until later when I noticed the light on.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Okay. I think your statement "(Back tire locked up)" confused me. I thought you meant that the back tire would not spin. Now, I think you mean that the back tire will lock up/skid if you press the rear brake hard. In other words, the basic brake system is functioning properly but the ABS is not working which will allow either tire to lock up/not spin if you press the brake real hard.

This is the "normal" way the ABS system fails. It can be caused by a bunch of different problems. Did the bike get wet? on either wheel, is the gap between the ABS sensor and the toothed spinner pretty tight?

I believe that in the service manual is a diagnostic process through which you can ascertain the source of the problem (e.g. rear sensor, front sensor, other).

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Bbob's profile lists links for all service manuals. You will need it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
One easy thing to check is whether the wires to the ABS sensors for each wheel are frayed or broken.

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No broken wires. I cleaned the sensors and the rings with no luck. I'm guessing a bad sensor. I've heard Indian uses the same sensor. Can anyone verify this and possibly a part number?

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
Take it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
When my abs light came on on my xr I wound up tracing it to the abs relay

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
On my xr it is located on the right side of the rear fender underneath

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are 2 fuses under there on my XCT. Both checked good. Anyone know where the relay is on a XCT?

·
Registered
416 Posts
No broken wires. I cleaned the sensors and the rings with no luck.
OK, have you checked the ABS fuse, up under the back mudguard? Between the inner and outer guards, first item you come to working up from the back. I've had that blow, as well as having broken sensor wires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, have you checked the ABS fuse, up under the back mudguard? Between the inner and outer guards, first item you come to working up from the back. I've had that blow, as well as having broken sensor wires.
Yes. Fuse is good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been a Polaris / Victory tech for years. I'm not sure if you have a dealer nearby that will do it for you, but we will plug into people's bikes all the time for free. That being said, the speed sensors are junk and I replace them all the time. Its easy enough to do it yourself.

Part #4013251

May have a different number, since I retired a little over a year ago.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Excellent. Did you just get lucky and replaced the correct sensor first try or were you able to determine it was the front sensor that was bad?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent. Did you just get lucky and replaced the correct sensor first try or were you able to determine it was the front sensor that was bad?
I figured I’d start with the front and it worked. I had to add a XM wire under the fairing anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts