Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my back tire. I have never taken the back wheel off of a bike before but decided after looking at the manual that it wasn't that big of a deal and I took extra precautions to be sure I had done everything right. Everything went well with both the removal and installation of the wheel. I took the bike for a ride and everything seemed to be fine then the ABS light came on.

I came home put the bike on the jack and the ABS line was laying against the rotor and it had rubbed through the insulation to the wire and that is what made the light come on. My question is what happened? How did that wire get over to the rotor. It wasn't like that when I took the wheel off. Is there a groove somewhere that I have missed that the ABS harness is supposed to lay in? I am at a loss here because I honestly don't know what I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated it. I am headed to the Ozarks in a couple of weeks and I really don't want to have to pay a shop fee for my own stupidity and something that might be a real easy fix.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would wrap the rubbed through part of the wire with electrical tape, tightly of course, and see if it makes the light go off. If it does I would just zip tie the wire out of the way where it won't get rubbed through again. If the light doesn't go off I don't know what to tell ya. I know nothing about abs on a bike

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The ABS sensor needs to be in close proximity to the toothed wheel at the back wheel. If it is not there it cannot sense the wheel rotating or, more importantly, the wheel not rotating. It needs to be properly placed in its holder to sense your rear wheel rotation.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If the sensors are lined up properly, and the light goes out when you move the wire and tape it up... then problem solved, until you hit wet weather. Do the repair properly...cut the wire and solder the ends... use a proper connector to join the ends together... and shrink wrap the splice.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Howard, that is what I should've said. That's better than just wrapping it with tape. At work I use solder-less connectors and heat shrink. Haven't had one fail yet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts