Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new bike and a most important option for me is ABS brakes. I noticed only the Vision has that option . I'm quite surprised that Victory ,who is making some inroads on H-D, would limit themselves to offering ABS on only one model. Anybody hear anything different down the road for Victory?

ps ..great forum

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Last year, rumor was that the 2011 Cross bikes would have ABS as an option. That didn't happen, and I was not going to take my chances and wait yet another year. If and when they come up with ABS, I can always sell my 2011 and get the new bike, with ABS. Until then, I will enjoy my ABS-less Cross Roads. You can wait if you want, but who knows how long the wait is going to be. :rolleyes:

ps: welcome to the forum! cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the reply. I'm not going to wait but I want abs and will probably go with HD Streetglide w/abs and when Victory evers does add the abs to more models I'll get one. Safety is my main concern and I won't compromise........

·
13,262 Posts
thanx for the reply. I'm not going to wait but I want abs and will probably go with HD Streetglide w/abs and when Victory evers does add the abs to more models I'll get one. Safety is my main concern and I won't compromise........
From what I read it sounds like the national highway will make it a law in the next year or two

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'm not going to wait but I want abs and will probably go with HD Streetglide w/abs and when Victory evers does add the abs to more models I'll get one. Safety is my main concern and I won't compromise........
If you need ABS to be safe, then you're most likely not riding safe enough.

I mean, ride like you're demon possessed and you'll be slamming the breaks every two minutes. Ride like a peaceful angel, and your break pads will last a lifetime (and you'll never visit the ABS range). ;)

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
If you haven't taken a rider course, I strongly urge you (and all riders) to do so. ABS is not the cure all - do all to avoid crashing. On dry pavement, it can lengthen the stopping distance. To some, it's a crutch for lack of proper braking ability. I don't understand your buying a second rate bike just to get ABS. Practice panic stops!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
If you haven't taken a rider course, I strongly urge you (and all riders) to do so. ABS is not the cure all - do all to avoid crashing. On dry pavement, it can lengthen the stopping distance. To some, it's a crutch for lack of proper braking ability. I don't understand your buying a second rate bike just to get ABS. Practice panic stops!
:I agree: Jumping off a bridge is safer than riding without taking a rider safety course first. ABS will only help not lock the wheels. Safety rider course will teach you how not to lock the wheels, and what to do if you do lock the wheels. Plus a whole lot more, like accident or road hazard avoidance, which ABS won't help with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree with taking a safety course as it should be mandatory but there is a place for ABS brakes and it cant be downplayed. It should be required on all bikes just like the cages.I feel you can't be safe enough. I will be putting over 10k a year on her , not a weekend rider here.

ps I dont agree with the second rate comment,as Triumph, BMW and Honda all offer it on the big bikes..........just sayin'

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I agree with taking a safety course as it should be mandatory but there is a place for ABS brakes and it cant be downplayed. It should be required on all bikes just like the cages.I feel you can't be safe enough. I will be putting over 10k a year on her , not a weekend rider here.
Well, if you're going to base your purchase on that, then your only Victory option is the Vision. Victory is very much like Honda when it comes to releasing information about upcoming changes. They hold everything behind the curtain 'till the very last moment. You won't know if ABS is coming to a model until that model is released. Since you said you don't want to wait and see, consider the Vision or if the Vision's not for you, a different brand. Wish I could've been more helpful.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I agree about the importance of ABS. It almost stopped me from buying my XC. I rid motos almost exclusively...maybe 30-40,000 miles a year, and I think ABS is super. First time you put on the brakes when you are on a diesel or oil spill which you couldn't see, and you will know what I mean. Hopefully I won't be sorry.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I dont agree with the second rate comment,as Triumph, BMW and Honda all offer it on the big bikes..........just sayin'[/QUOTE]

The "second rate" comment referred to you choosing H-D over Victory. Haven't you read the comparos in the bike mags? The H-D has way less suspension travel, so your spine will take a beating; the H-D has less power; you'll have to put with an indifferent mfr and dealer network and your passenger will have to put up with the seat from hell. I could go on, but....

Incidentally, you didn't tell us that you have taken a riders' skills course. Your comment that cages have ABS and other safety equipment hits a nerve with me. That's why we now have inattentive driving as the first cause of crashes and wholesale aggressive driving. Drivers now feel they can do any fool thing they please because they know all that safety crap will save their bacon, so they can continue to drive like idiots and get away with it. Don't believe me? What if there was a shotgun shell in the steering column instead of the air bag...that would bring tailgating to a halt and dramatically calm drivers. Sounds like you'd approve of the Joan Claybook Safety Cycle of the 70s. I prefer to keep the government off my bike and out of my car.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I agree about the importance of ABS. It almost stopped me from buying my XC. I rid motos almost exclusively...maybe 30-40,000 miles a year, and I think ABS is super. First time you put on the brakes when you are on a diesel or oil spill which you couldn't see, and you will know what I mean. Hopefully I won't be sorry.
You do ride a lot of miles. How many times would you say the ABS kicked in on a yearly basis? I realize this depends a lot on how you ride also, but I'm curious on your assessment.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You do ride a lot of miles. How many times would you say the ABS kicked in on a yearly basis? I realize this depends a lot on how you ride also, but I'm curious on your assessment.
Maybe once every year, maybe less. I am 62, started riding when I was 14, and have had only one "crash" in recent years, and that was on the race track.

I think the ABS prevented at least one accident where I would have gone down at maybe 40 MPH. However, as I get older, the thought of going down, particularly with Connie on the back, is unsettling. ABS is definitely not a cure all, but all it has to do is "work" once to be worth it.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
ABS is definitely not a cure all, but all it has to do is "work" once to be worth it.
True.

I wanted ABS too, but I was not ready to wait yet another year to find out if the next model of Cross bikes would offer ABS. Given that a rider with your experience still got a motorcycle without ABS gives me the confidence that ABS is nice but not a must.

Does ABS imply linked break system? I like dragging the rear break when trying to keep the bike rolling at a very slow speed.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Does ABS imply linked break system? I like dragging the rear break when trying to keep the bike rolling at a very slow speed.[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Dragging the rear brake stabilizes the bike not only at low speeds, but also in tight corners and on hairpins. For that reason, I'm glad my XR has good, old fashioned front only, rear only brakes that I get to control.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does ABS imply linked break system? I like dragging the rear break when trying to keep the bike rolling at a very slow speed.
Excellent. Dragging the rear brake stabilizes the bike not only at low speeds, but also in tight corners and on hairpins. For that reason, I'm glad my XR has good, old fashioned front only, rear only brakes that I get to control.[/QUOTE]

There are linked & independent ABS systems on the market. HD's ABS is not linked, so feel free to drag the rear brake on a HD. I believe VIC uses a linked system which would not be my preference since I also drag my rear brake in low speed maneuvers, so even if VIC does offer ABS on their X bikes, I'm not so sure I would want it since I'm sure it would be linked just like the Vision...

By the way, on tight turns & hairpins, my preference is to roll on the throttle slightly to plant the rear suspension, I do not want to be dragging the rear brake in those situation.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
VIC-1, buy the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD. There are ads for it in almost every MC mag. If I had a motorcycle dealership, I'd give one with each bike sale. In it, you'll learn the 4 things to do to make ultra tight turns. If you ever go to Europe and do the Alps, you'll need this info. Do save your pennies and go there, it's amazing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
VIC-1, buy the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD. There are ads for it in almost every MC mag. If I had a motorcycle dealership, I'd give one with each bike sale. In it, you'll learn the 4 things to do to make ultra tight turns. If you ever go to Europe and do the Alps, you'll need this info. Do save your pennies and go there, it's amazing.
Bought it about 4 years ago which is where I learned about dragging the rear brake in low speed turns.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Excellent. Dragging the rear brake stabilizes the bike not only at low speeds, but also in tight corners and on hairpins. For that reason, I'm glad my XR has good, old fashioned front only, rear only brakes that I get to control.
.[/QUOTE]

I was told that the brakes on the XC ARE linked, although the front is linked to the rear, not the rear to the front. I was also told that it had an override which essentially delinks the brakes at slow speeds, which is important for those of us who drag the rear brakew at slow speeds.

Not positive about this, just repeating what I heard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts