Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ABS Stuck On After Dyno Tune, UPDATED

So after I had a dyno tune a couple of months ago my ABS light only went off as 'normal' about 6 times. That was sporadic as sometimes the system worked as it should, the light going out by the time I made it down my driveway, and sometimes it stayed on for a very long time. Now, the ABS light doesn't extinguish anymore.

I was wondering how holding the front wheel still on the dyno could make one of the ABS system parts go bad. When I had my first dyno tune at 11K miles nothing caused this error. But this dyno tune at 61K seems to have taken something out in my ABS system. Randomly faulty at first then out completely.

I removed the front sensor, wiped the road grime off then reinstalled it to no effect. I checked the wire on the rear wheel sensor and it seems fine with no signs of abrasion at all. I know I should be able to have the CCT connected to the dealer software and hopefully that will pin point the problem. But why doesn't a faulty ABS part throw a code as well as leaving the ABS light on?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
This is what the manual has to say: 15.41
"In the event of a system fault, the ECM turns on the ABS
indicator lamp (via the CAN BUS) and leaves it on even
after vehicle speed exceeds 6 mph (10 kph) activation
speed.
If a system fault occurs, the light will remain on (and ABS
will not be active) until the ignition key is turned to OFF
position and back to ON."

When I went from a 60 to 65 profile tire it took several resets to get the ABS working with the new tire.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Intermittent sensor signal finally became permanent from what you describe. My money is on bad sensor. Nothing to do with Dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sounds like just a bad sensor.
Or the gap needs adjusted.
I found plenty of posts that the sensors work better at the high end of the gap spec.

Have you had either tire replaced recently?

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both sensors worked fine when the bike was started and driven onto the dyno. After the dyno, literally leaving the parking lot, the ABS light stayed on. Josh said just cycle it a few times and it will reset. On the way home that day and the next few days it cycled well over a dozen times. Half of them it worked either just as I started moving or sometimes an hour (or hours) later into the ride home. Then, nothing. The light now stays on. No tire changes yet either.

Since I already cleaned the front sensor I'll now clean the rear one and give that a try.

I'm in no way what so ever blaming the dyno tune or trying to assign blame to the dyno tuning expert. I'm just wondering what during the dyno tune process could possibly cause this. Certainly a sensor or the ABS unit could have failed. But the gap didn't change and neither did the 'dirt' factor, especially in the front. So, I'll get down on the garage floor and clean the rear sensor and the sensor ring.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
blame game

As a tech/mechanic (now days they like us to say tech:frown) it really sucks when something leaves the shop and another problem arises. Been wrenching a few decades and it always sucks. On the other hand one famous thing is: you can repair a persons machines for ten years and never have a complaint then you have one "comeback" and your are considered a worthless piece of crap. Now mind you not always, there are many customers that understand it was a coincidence. Good to see you understand Mark! Hopefully you figure out the problem and let us all know what it was. From what I read and from other suggestions I think it more than likely will be the sensor also. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I had a machine repair biz for over 40 years and I hear ya Speedy. I only had one call back in all those years and it turned out to be an electric motor starter failure that just happened to happen. "Yeah but you were the last one to work on it!"

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yea I have to go with the bad timing. Check the shop manual, they may be the AC generator type sensors and there is a spec it should create a rated signal when spun.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally an update to an old thread,

My ABS light has been on since I had the dyno tune Nip & Tuck several months ago. Last weekend I had the CCT at the dealer for a new rear tire install. When they test rode the bike saw the ABS light remained on. They called me about it and I confirmed that yes, it's been on since my last dyno run. They had already connected the bike to the diagnostic software and determined the front sensor was bad. They replaced the front sensor and now all is well again with the bikes ABS system. They said it's the exact same ABS sensor Polaris uses on their Indian models and that they do regularly replace them. They had one in stock at a cost of $150. I'm very glad to finally have the ABS system working correctly again. Well worth the money IMHO. Yes, I know I could have bought one for less money online and replaced it myself.

Thank you to Crockett Powersports in Chattanooga, TN for their excellent technicians and their service staff. I have no qualms what so ever with these guys working on my motorcycle. And frankly I'm thrilled they're available and doing so well with Polaris Indian and Slingshot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts