Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

ABS...Yes or No

10K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  DMacHammer 
#1 ·
I started a tread 2 weeks ago concerning the blacked out version of the XC. I really do prefer that look but now that I'm aware that it does not have all of the niceties that the chromed version has, I'm thinking about adding some of them back onto the bike. I most certainly will add a radio and cruise control. What's you opinion on ABS brakes? I've never owned a bike with ABS brakes. Those who have had both, is it that much of a safety issue not to have them?

#2 ·
If you have been trained without ABS you know how to brake. ABS is ok until you have to have it worked on then it gets expensive. I have a bike with and a bike without. I really do not like the feeling of hitting it hard to start to slide and it does not, then the pumping starts and you hope like hell the brakes stop you. Old school brakes is the way I was taught. You hit let off and pump them. ABS does not like you to do that. Steady pressure till you stop. Added cost to buy and up keep. The pads do not last no longer. Pros and cons, pro nice in the rain less sliding to a stop. con is cost when you have to have it worked on. Just my opinion.

#3 ·
Yes, it can be a very big safety issue not to have them.

I've been riding for nearly 4 decades, most of which has been without the aid of ABS. And for most of those years I've done just fine without it.

One year I was tooling down the road and a bus stopped suddenly for no apparent reason. Not wanting to be rear ended, I moved onto the shoulder and applied the brakes. There was still a fine silt on the shoulder and the front immediately skidded. I released them as quickly as I could and tried to save it, but the bike flopped around and spit me off just before it planted itself up the bus' butt.

Had I been on my other bike that had ABS, it would have been a drama free event. Instead, it was $5k or repairs to the bike and some points on my license for failure to control.

If it is an option, I'd highly recommend it. You wont even notice they exist unless you are hard on the binders in a panic situation. And we humans can act peculiar when we panic. Computers don't get ruffled, they just do their thing...

#8 ·
If it is an option, I'd highly recommend it. You wont even notice they exist unless you are hard on the binders in a panic situation. And we humans can act peculiar when we panic. Computers don't get ruffled, they just do their thing...

I too would recommend it if it is an option, Had it on my Road Glide, and traveling I-285 in Atlanta, I was glad to have it on more than one occasion.

#4 · (Edited)
This isn't the first thread I have read where the OP is considering buying the bike with the paint he likes while considering adding mods that are packaged on bikes he does not like.

I have done mods to motorcycles for S&G so I can understand doing it the way you want to but...
Assuming that the options you want are packaged in a factory model, you might consider buying that model regardless of color, preferably a new leftover so you get a savings on the front end for a machine that is the same as a current model year except for paint, and then have it painted and trimmed to whatever scheme you want. It's a math problem. How much is doing it the one way versus the other? Used to be paint was cheaper but times change and often the payoff is in doing it the way you want to.

As far as ABS goes, if it did not come on the motorcycle then retrofitting it, while possible, is at the far end of what is worth doing. Much expense, multiple systems involved and the likelihood of a painless commissioning is slim.

OTOH there is a vocal group of riders who prosthelytize ABS like it's the second coming and that it is a game changer. It came on my bike so I have it. If it didn't come on my bike I would have the bike without it. Smart people tell me that it's a resale adder but I ain't selling so no benefit there. I don't doubt that properties inherent in ABS could save my life in specific conditions. The list of things that land in the "save my life in specific conditions" category is long and most of them include the words "and don't ride motorcycles".

Chew your food twenty times and don't ride motorcycles.
Crack your knuckles and you'll get arthritis and don't ride motorcycles.

ABS is in the "but if you do" subcategory.

Don't ride motorcycles but if you do ride motorcycles, ride motorcycles with ABS.

#6 ·
I also go into the "No." crowd.

Its just another thing to break. Also, I really hate the sensitivity of the Victory ABS. Bumpy roads are common here. I feel the ABS unnecessarily kick on a bunch. I do not like it.

#7 · (Edited)
Age old question in the MC biz but -
Absolutely YES. Would not even consider a MC without ABS, I don't care it costs more $ It's worth it. *Cheaper than a visit to the emergency room. *41 years and , 820,000+ MC miles ridden. 12 years a MC instructor, all without an accident yet I ride ATGATT. Yes I know how to use my brakes but I am not better than the ABS is and can't control my fellow drivers on the road or the damn deer in my area. Used my ABS the first week I got my XCT coming home when a deer jumped out in front of me. Revolvers over automags also... Oh, thats a different argument... LOL...

#9 ·
IMO...I think ABS is more beneficial to a unexperience rider. Having said that I have about 10 years of riding under my belt (which is nothing compared to many of the guys on this forum) and would only buy a bike that has ABS. It's potentially saved my bacon a couple times over the past few years.

#10 ·
As far as I know if your bike doesn't come with ABS you can not add it later.

More riders crash cause we have been trained in a breaking situation put your foot on the break to stop. On motorcycle you have to use the front break first. Putting your foot on the break first will lock up your rear wheel you'll go into a slid and crash.
Always ride with two fingers on the front break lever it will add twenty seconds or more to your life.
If you go on a group ride watch the guy in front of you if he always use the rear break stay a way from him

#11 ·
I don't yet own a victory, nor do I own a bike with ABS. My opinions therefore are based on what the systems do, and comments from those I know with ABS equipped bikes.

Bikes, like cars before them, have been around for a very long time without ABS, people for the most part, managed to stop just fine. ABS comes out and the two camps emerge, one says ABS is for jokers that don't know how to brake properly, the other says it's the greatest thing since trojan ultrathins. Ultimately it became a selling point for the manufacturers and a requirement by legislation. Bike ABS is in the two camps stage right now but there are already states pushing for laws to require it on all new bikes. It will happen eventually, that's just how it is.

Regarding function. ABS has proven itself on motorcycles to be an extremely effect system in the event of a reduced traction panic braking situation. Both in the lab and in real world testing the results have shown shorter stopping distances and fewer wheel lock induced crashes. The simple fact is that a computer is able to monitor and react to wheel spin/lock with much greater accuracy and with much less delay than a person can. So while pumping the brakes is an effective method for a person to control a low traction brake scenario, a computer can manage it better to maximize braking and thus shorten the stopping distance. That all said, ABS will absolutely prove to be a safety enhancing option IF you need it. In my 14 years of riding I've only ever had 3 instances where abs might have helped me. Two resulted in minor tipovers with minimal damage to me or the bike, the third was dramatic but the results were nothing more than dirty underwear.

Friends that have ABS equipped bikes have told me that it's great. Simply hamfist the brake lever and the bike stops regardless of the situation. While I can appreciate that level of braking confidence to me it seems a great way to lose one's skills over time and end up in a bad place if/when riding a bike without it.

On motorcycle you have to use the front break first. Putting your foot on the break first will lock up your rear wheel you'll go into a slid and crash.
Always ride with two fingers on the front break lever it will add twenty seconds or more to your life.
If you go on a group ride watch the guy in front of you if he always use the rear break stay a way from him
As a former MSF coach I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see a comment like this on a cruiser oriented forum. No offense to anyone here but the nonsense about the front brake being dangerous or causing crashes along with the even worse line of "I had to lay it down to save it" makes me shake my head in bewilderment. That's a rant for another day though.

#18 ·
I'm not an ABS fan. That said, they have a place and function and are overall a good thing. I just don't care for them.
No, adding ABS after the fact is really not cost effective.
This thing is out on the market, http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/ , but I have no idea if or really how it works. Sounds kinda Voo-Doo ish to me, and not the Witchdoctor's kind of it either.
Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more would be the advice of the day. I would suggest that of anyone despite the tools or gadgets you may have.
The best "safety" device on any machine is the one between your ears.
Enjoy the new ride. cheers

#19 ·
I've been riding on the highway since 1979. My last bike was a Suzuki Hayabusa I rode as a sport touring machine.. Bike before that was a Suzuki Bandit 1200s that ended up under the front of a Park Avenue when a 91 year old driver turned in front of me in a residential section. Broke collarbone, broke ribs, etc..

When I shopped for a new bike I had three criteria that I felt would be an improvement over the Busa.
1. ABS brakes
2. Cruise control
3. Radio or stereo system.
I was not willing to short myself on any of these, if I had been I would be riding a Honda F6B - no cruise shot that deal right out of the water.

You can still ride these bikes just like they don't have ABS, but its nice to know when the buick turns in front of you that you can hammer the brakes and still control the bike around the obstacle...

#20 ·
As a former MSF coach I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see a comment like this on a cruiser oriented forum. No offense to anyone here but the nonsense about the front brake being dangerous or causing crashes along with the even worse line of "I had to lay it down to save it" makes me shake my head in bewilderment. That's a rant for another day though.

You must of read my post with one eye closed.
Front breaks stop you.
Rear breaks locks up your wheel and will put you in a slid and yes crash

#22 ·
Knowing how to,brake without ABS is something only many years in the saddle can teach you... But then comes tha absolute unexpected and the rear wheel locks up..... You gotta stay on it because if you release the pressure that locked it up, you get fired off the bike like a missile. That happened to me two summers ago when a cage u turned in front of me suddenly. I am a highly trained rider, but I made the mistake of hitting the rear brake too hard. My new bike has ABS and I love it..... But I also know, that just like in a car, ABS actually lengthens the stopping distance. But stable braking is a big plus and I'll take that anyday.

#23 ·
I didn't read the whole thread, but i do NOT like ABS on bikes. This summer, I rented a new Fatboy and almost plowed into a van when I tried to stop on gravel. The ABS kicked in, and it wouldn't stop at all.

#36 ·
Ok you are gonna have to lay her down huh? All I was saying is the biggest part of riding these types bikes is going to be on pavement. I don't think the few off chance scenario's your mention should dissuade someone from getting ABS.
I said the RISK of laying her down is more acceptable than ABS lengthening my stopping distance and hitting a car.

You guys can use ABS all you want, but i've had more bad than good experiences with it on cars and bikes.

#38 · (Edited)
45+ years on motorcycles and my CCT is the first one I've ever had with ABS. I've had the linked brake system on various Moto Guzzi models for many years. The Guzzi linked brake system, IMHO, works flawlessly and saved me from certain death or severe bodily harm years ago. I was always glad to have it knowing how well it worked.

I got my CCT last May and sure enough ended up testing the ABS when a car pulled out in front of me. The Victory ABS absolutely saved me. For me the beauty of ABS is that it prevents the wheels from locking thereby allowing you the ability to steer away from trouble. Skidding tires offer little more than you're going where momentum takes you.

Anyone who talks of having to 'lay it down' as being an advantage is, IMHO offering suspect information. Laying it down is an intentional crash and is likely NOT the best course of action 99.9% of the time. No other item on the bike besides the tires offers better stopping power. A skidding motorcycle on its side will NOT stop faster than an upright motorcycle using tire traction on the road surface.

I wouldn't want to be without ABS at this point.

#39 ·
Yea, I'm not laying nothing down, that pavement hurts. And I suspect the large majority of folks who have claimed to "lay it down", actually locked the damn brakes and put the bike down unintentionally. But it makes for a good story over a few beers, assuming of course they survived.

I know two people who have had bike wrecks and the motorcycle hit them in the back, one paralyzed, the other dead.
I'm staying with the bike, its a bad thing to arrive at the impact point first!

#41 ·
Yea, I'm not laying nothing down, that pavement hurts. And I suspect the large majority of folks who have claimed to "lay it down", actually locked the damn brakes and put the bike down unintentionally. But it makes for a good story over a few beers, assuming of course they survived.
Exactly. It amazes me how that kinda thing perpetuates itself. When I wrecked, the cop who arrived on the scene asked me if I had to "lay her down." I told him no, actually I was doing all I could to keep her up, but she decided to lay down anyway.

#42 ·
My 2011 XR of course does not have ABS and my last two bikes didn't have it either but I sometimes wish I had drove the extra 3 hours to get a 2012 XR with ABS. The back brake on these bikes without ABS is very sensitive IMO but I have got used to it. I have had two different cagers pull out in front of me and I locked the rear brake up both times but was able to control the bike to a stop both times. ABS or not is not a deal breaker when buying my next bike but I'll will probably lean towards the one with ABS.

#43 ·
I'm the OP of this tread. When initially posting my question I couldn't imagine that I would read so much dialogue. I truly appreciate everyone's opinion.

An update. I did contact a dealer that I was planning to visit in a few weeks for a demo ride and asked him questions about modifying the 8-Ball XC. He told me after researching what I wanted to do with both Victory and his shop, that the way the 8-Ball bike comes from the factory, it would not be a good decision to add cruise, a radio and ABS brakes. If I did, the head mechanic believed that ultimately there would be issues with the reliability of these add-ons not coming from a factory install. Cost would also be a major issue.

I'll be looking at these x-bikes again. I'm sure that I'll find one that I will like riding with the add-ons that make the riding experience enjoyable and safe.

Thanks again, JJKJR

#44 ·
I like ABS as it came with my 09 Ultra first time ever used it and now on my 12 XC as well .. Rode 40 Years without it and did just fine .. Bottom line if it's available will utilize the option although if was in love with a certain ride that didn't have it would still buy and enjoy it .. And if don't like ABS all you have to do is pull the fuse and no more worries ..

#45 ·
ABS or NOT

I have been riding also for years and I now have a bike with ABS 2013 XC Sunset Red. If you have the option of getting a bike with ABS I would jump at the chance for two reasons. Technology is a good thing and it is a matter of time before you make a mistake on braking and I do not believe that ABS lengthen your stopping distance comparing Oranges to Oranges. Racers now use ABS when allowed to. Some say it is an unfair advantage over the other without. I will take every advantage I can while riding on the street with cell phone drivers.

To answerer your original question XR and XC both have ABS with the exception of the 8 Ball series (Stripped down version). Good luck with you purchase ether way you decide. Both have advantages one may cost more. The question is can you ride safely without, YES thumb up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.