Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many problems will a lot of money fix in your life? How many problems would lots of money bring?

How many problems would you have if you had a lot less money than what you have now?

I believe that we all wonder how different we would be if things were different in our lives.
I don’t spend a lot of time wondering but would I be a better person if I were wealthy? Surely if I were much poorer, I believe life would be awful... or would I be happier?

I was watching a little of the John du Pont movie(Foxcatcher) last night with my wife. I just couldn’t watch it all the way through because it is so slow plus, I know what happens.

He was one messed up guy!

This is just something for y’all to think about and comment on if you want… just think of all the folks coming out of the woodwork if you had lots of cash. Sheesh!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wife is inheriting a nice little sum... nuff to pay some bills and buy a new car which she has needed desperately.

Then I got to thinking... how much would it take to truly get us completely out of debt and living comfortably but not at all extravagantly until we die?

I do not know! A million, several million? A half mil?

Shoot! Several million would get me in trouble. A half million would definitely help!

Now! Fam and friends learning that we somehow had come into a lottery or large inheritance are gonna be sniffing us out... this is a given! Then you have fund raisers and various organizations holding out their hands.You have to start hiring folks to handle your affairs.

Are these good problems to have? Sure! You say I'd like to at least try? Have you ever watched that show... I won the lottery and lost it all? or whatever it's called. Wow! It's just like the highly paid athletes that burn thru their gazillions and then end up with zero.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How long do you plan on living? ..What's the minimum you can live on now? ...and adding 5% per year for inflation until you die.. That's pretty-much how much you need to be as comfortable as you are today..

Now.. If we're talking lottery mega-bucks.. Then it's down to how optimistic you are, you'll be investing (you're just gonna need to), so, when you invest, if you expect to make small returns on investment 3-4% per year say - then take the lump sum, any higher take the annuity..

Don't ask me how the math works, but, was informed, that's just how the cookie crumbles on Mega Buck$$

...Yes, gonna need lawyers to draw up papers to make sure that the money is protected and that it is robbed of any power, i.e. ..the wife don't bail and rob it all to spend on shoes etc.

Family? ...If you ain't in the mood to buy an new one, allocate a fund taken from a percentage of investment returns for "PIA family gannets" and budget it.

Also, Rich or Poor.. Gotta live on a budget.. :crying

If you win the lottery, $400 million say.. Mmmmm..After taxes lump sum say 70 million... :mad: .. You can invest, spend a million a year (on, whatever), and still have high 200 millions in the bank after 30 years of investment returns.. :ride:

OR ...you could practice the Mike Tyson Method of Respectibiller-er Finance.. Spend half a million a month, rape some chick, and resort to cannibalism, when hungry, when you run out of cash.

...Cause.. Blowing through money like that.. Just Gonna Happen!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Wife is inheriting a nice little sum... nuff to pay some bills and buy a new car which she has needed desperately.

Then I got to thinking... how much would it take to truly get us completely out of debt and living comfortably but not at all extravagantly until we die?

I do not know! A million, several million? A half mil?

Shoot! Several million would get me in trouble. A half million would definitely help!

Now! Fam and friends learning that we somehow had come into a lottery or large inheritance are gonna be sniffing us out... this is a given! Then you have fund raisers and various organizations holding out their hands.You have to start hiring folks to handle your affairs.

Are these good problems to have? Sure! You say I'd like to at least try? Have you ever watched that show... I won the lottery and lost it all? or whatever it's called. Wow! It's just like the highly paid athletes that burn thru their gazillions and then end up with zero.
Love it when you get bored Dill.

Do you see money as a good or evil? I'm not so much on that.

I don't think having a lot of money is a problem as long as you are surrounded by people who aren't dependent on you for their income and will give you honest feedback on what you are doing.
If your friends will tell you the truth cause they have nothing to loose all is good, when people are afraid to tell you the truth about your actions because they are afraid their gravy train will dry up if you take it badly, that's bad.

I was taught that money is a way of storing your labor in a form that is easily convertible and useful by the most people. If you have a few hundred dollars you have managed to save from your check you have something you can then trade for an oil change on your bike, the electrician coming out to fix an outlet that doesn't work or some gizmo that someone invented and brought to market.

Without money if you wanted your oil changed at a shop you'd have to hunt down a bike shop who would trade changing your oil for you doing something that they need done. That would be time consuming and really difficult unless you were a hooker or something like that. That time you spent finding the shop who would do the trade would be time that you could be doing something that is valuable to others and earning more money or just relaxing and riding your bike instead of calling every shop in town to see if they wanted to trade for an oil change.

There really isn't anything wrong or right with money. Having too much or too little is neither good or bad. It's more inconvenient or excellent.

As for family who comes sniffing. No is a complete sentence. :laugh

If I ever end up with a real excess of money I'll post and let you know how it turns out. :wink Till then I guess I'll be wondering what it would be like too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well one thing for sure is, we're all equal when we enter the grave.....LOL

My first cousin sold his house and now lives in a small apartment. He has a girl in Cuba and he visits her four times a year and she comes here twice a year. I'm so jealous looking at all the pictures he sends me of his trips to Cuba, Italy, etc. When he is home he works crappy shifts no one else wants and when he's over there, he watches baseball games for 25 cents and lounges in the sun....LOL

We're at that age where friends and family are dropping like flies and he said enough; I'm going to enjoy life because one never knows the time or day when it all ends......

I worry for him! On the other hand, he could be doing it all "right".....:smile

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
I guess money is like love. It's better to have won (the lottery) and lost than never have won at all.

Financially I have been better off but I have never been happier than I am right now.

For me at least; having enough money most the time is good enough.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I'm kind of on the edge of believing if I had a lot, I'd be all messed up.

I really can't imagine being any happier than now and I have nothing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You're thinking along the right track Dill...you get in enough **** as it is mate without being rolling in dough.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well! IT is actually "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil".
1 Timothy 6:10

I don't love it at all...

The old tv series I still watch... Star Trek Next Generation shows that money no longer exists and everyone has a function and purpose and their needs are taken care of so $$ is no longer an issue.

Sadly, this will never be a reality. If there is no money as we know now, something will take it's place and men will continue to killstealdestroy for IT.

I know two guys who contrast when it comes to money.
One got out of college and started his own business... building wooden pallets, invested and did all types of things and is wealthy but his real wealth is his investment in his family and it shows... he is truly a rich man.

Another guy also has a beautiful family but he lives to make money and it is always on his mind... how to make another dollar. They have plenty it is but never enough.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I like to enjoy my money. BUT I lost my job on Sept 1st, so we have been preserving what we have. I can say from the experience of the last month....I'm MUCH more happy with money (and earning it) than without.

Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a hell of a lot of coke! (Don't remember whose quote that is).

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm coming into what I consider the rewards phase of my life & career and for me time is far more precious than money. I'm generous with money but I've become very selfish with MY time.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I like to enjoy my money. BUT I lost my job on Sept 1st, so we have been preserving what we have. I can say from the experience of the last month....I'm MUCH more happy with money (and earning it) than without.

Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a hell of a lot of coke! (Don't remember whose quote that is).

Sorry to hear that.
Hope things change for the better for you soon.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I'm in the process of buying my first home , signed the P & S last night and close Oct. 22 .... I don't think I have anymore money , starting from scratch , I want to do a bunch of stuff to my bike this winter but might just be tires ....

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts

The world was better in the olden days .... After a few f%#[email protected] then the true value of life / family / money is way more important then anything else .... Just enough to survive amd a smile on your wife face is all i need in life ....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I'm in the process of buying my first home , signed the P & S last night and close Oct. 22 .... I don't think I have anymore money , starting from scratch , I want to do a bunch of stuff to my bike this winter but might just be tires ....

Good for you Mags.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The world was better in the olden days .... After a few f%#[email protected] then the true value of life / family / money is way more important then anything else .... Just enough to survive amd a smile on your wife face is all i need in life ....
The olden days had their drawbacks, you could die from the clap, for example.. Also..Some women have a more expensive smiles than others. Not that you're wrong.. If you are lucky, a person will take the best of all worlds and do life well, enjoying every minute of it on a halfway realistic budget.

Used to be, I would save every penny I could, all my friends would be down at the pub, me? ..I would be knee deep in "stuff" and lending my friends money so they could afford to go down to the pub..

These days.. I'm getting older, I know for a FACT that I ain't gonna live forever, so treating myself to stuff I can afford while I'm still young enough to enjoy it..

Plan a little for the future, living a lot in the moment.. That kinda-thing..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts