Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a dyno tune a couple days ago and the dyno operator said the Accel plug wires I put on are junk and only use OEM plug wires. I replaced my OEM wires a couple months ago because they were 2004 original and hard as a rock. I put on Accel 8.8mm spark plug wires and he had a lot of trouble with the dyno reading RPM off of the plug wire saying it was bad plug wires. Ever price OEM plug wires? The most expensive foot of plug wire out there.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was under the impression the Accel wires were really good ... I was going to buy a set . Guess I will hold off for now though .

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$113.98 for my bike from Victory.
Click

Freeking crazy

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Other wires

Vintex you might give Summit racing a call. You could buy a complete set of header wires for that. Use only two wires and have possibly six more for future use. Just an idea of course. The other option. I believe there is still a "Lopers" open on Country Club in Mesa. You could take the wires into there and maybe they could find a set of header wires that might work. The only thing with header wires is you usually have to cut to length what you want. The other catch is that they come with the ends you want. I had used a set of VW Beetle plug wires before on a bike, again only two wires. There again if the VW Beetle header wires fit there is a BAP Imports place off of Country Club and Broadway I believe. If you go this route let us know what you use. You could save us all a lot of money. Also the header wires may just be better than the Accel or the Victory wires. I was thinking maybe Mallary wires or possibly even another type of the Accel wires, they do sell header wires for cars.cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a dyno tune a couple days ago and the dyno operator said the Accel plug wires I put on are junk and only use OEM plug wires. I replaced my OEM wires a couple months ago because they were 2004 original and hard as a rock. I put on Accel 8.8mm spark plug wires and he had a lot of trouble with the dyno reading RPM off of the plug wire saying it was bad plug wires. Ever price OEM plug wires? The most expensive foot of plug wire out there.
That really is a crock! The 8.8mm Accel wires are excellent. I have heard of dyno operators that use some sort of a clamp over wire device to get a RPM reading, and the extra heavy insulation on the Accel wires prevented him from picking up a reading. If that makes a crappy wire, I'll take the crappy ones. :ltr: I've been running the Accel's for a while now. They are wonderful in every respect, and they look cool as well. How can you beat that?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
hahahah

Nice dyno operator (if he was using that inductive collar to read off the wire)! Concur with ^^, the 8.8 is mainly insulation- the silicone is cheap. There are only a few sources that actually manufacture plug wires, I don't think ACCEL is one but could be wrong. I always found them to be decent, good conductivity without undue radio interference (in cages). I went with Magnecor for the Vic, no bling factor but I like their internals. Besides, they are in the US instead of CA now, and not CN! Good move replacing then in any event, mine were still pliant, replaced as a precaution, found that telltale white line (split) after they were removed. Taylor wires are US, IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That really is a crock! The 8.8mm Accel wires are excellent. I have heard of dyno operators that use some sort of a clamp over wire device to get a RPM reading, and the extra heavy insulation on the Accel wires prevented him from picking up a reading. If that makes a crappy wire, I'll take the crappy ones. :ltr: I've been running the Accel's for a while now. They are wonderful in every respect, and they look cool as well. How can you beat that?
Agreed I was going to replace them but even at discount prices it's huge $$$ for two short plug wires.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Agreed I was going to replace them but even at discount prices it's huge $$$ for two short plug wires.
If there is in fact a problem with your accel wires….send them to me…I will fix or replace them for you. As a Prestolite/Accel dealer…..Not sure if you bought them from me or not….but Accel products are fantastic. I will help you out if needed.cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there is in fact a problem with your accel wires….send them to me…I will fix or replace them for you. As a Prestolite/Accel dealer…..Not sure if you bought them from me or not….but Accel products are fantastic. I will help you out if needed.cheers
Just his opinion during the dyno tune is the only problem I've had.

·
Banned
471 Posts
From my experience with plug wires and the clamp that is used on the dyno is...sometimes the plug wires are too good and insalate too well and the clamp can't get a good reading.

I have had that happen before. So IMHO there is nothing wrong with the wires they are just doing there job.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent point

·
13,177 Posts
vindex1963
do a current test or continuity test. I would believe your wire are just to fat for his clamp.

Make sure you never pull plug wires off useing the wire all ways do the boot.
Take a peace of hose about 1 1/2" put over fin
With needle noise pliers grasp boot
now push down on handle trying to raise boot.
Put anti size on plug threads and shoulder of plug
put dielectric grease on tip of plug

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That was going to be my response.
The insulation is working so well that the inductive clamp used by the dyno operator is not getting an accurate signal.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Moral of this thread : Put your shitty stock wires back on before going for a tune , as not to upset the dyno guy ...:ltr:

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Nice dyno operator (if he was using that inductive collar to read off the wire)! Concur with ^^, the 8.8 is mainly insulation- the silicone is cheap. There are only a few sources that actually manufacture plug wires, I don't think ACCEL is one but could be wrong. I always found them to be decent, good conductivity without undue radio interference (in cages). I went with Magnecor for the Vic, no bling factor but I like their internals. Besides, they are in the US instead of CA now, and not CN! Good move replacing then in any event, mine were still pliant, replaced as a precaution, found that telltale white line (split) after they were removed. Taylor wires are US, IIRC.
Yeah I bought a full set of Magnecor leads for my old V8 Ford, didnt want bright red or blue, just plain old black as original and Magnecor were the only decent leads I could get in plain black...they do do colours too but only in the big bore leads. I wanted the smaller stock looking ones. No problems to date with them.

·
13,177 Posts
what ever length the stock ones are you want that length on your replacement ones. Its something to do with the FI and the ECM

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From my experience with plug wires and the clamp that is used on the dyno is...sometimes the plug wires are too good and insalate too well and the clamp can't get a good reading.

I have had that happen before. So IMHO there is nothing wrong with the wires they are just doing there job.
Yes they are that's why they're staying.

Glad I posted I was going to replace them. I had an intermittent miss a while ago and I was mentally tying the two together.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I'm in the Accel club. They work great. They look like they are higher quality than the OEM. They feel thicker, the ends are more elastic than the OEM. You can just tell they are a better product before you install them. Plus....I like the colors. Mine are yellow! :D

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Got the chrome braded with the red inlay (Match's the Bike) cheers

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
You got it right on the money, i am NOT a DYNO operator, and have no idea what ACCEL wires are, but, installing thicker / better wires is GOOD, so if you do a DYNO tune just put the THINNER plug-wires back on so he can read out better??

On my 4 wheel drive I HAD many times original small wires and always trouble in the water crossings.... then I bought the BIG / THICK silicone tube wrapped wires and for years and years never got any problem... never had to replace them....

PS if he has to read out the pulse of the spark, why are they not just pulling the wire "off" and insert another "reading wire" connected to the terminal of the COIL and then put that famous "clamp" over the 2 or 3 mm wire???? ..... every problem has a solution, not that this could be the solution? that is for the DYNO guy to decide?

These DYNO guys have a lot of stories to tell hey?? on another tread I read a comment that a DYNO guy said that a Temperature gauge was not necessary coz "you better don't want to know" :ltr::ltr:

Anyway, moral / truth is; Better Quality Wires are always better,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts