Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about 3/4ths into a 200-mile backroad day trip today with my buddy Ken. We were parked at a quik-e-mart. I had mentioned to Ken that I parked in gear behind his bike, because of the very slight incline in the parking lot, and that this -- Cross bikes' rolling off of sidestands -- was a recent forum thread.

Anyway, we're standing by the bikes, taking a Gatorade break, shooting the breeze, when a car that was parked about 30 feet away, at one end of the paved area, starts backing our way. Ken says, "Hit the Vic first," which is a running thing we say, whenever somebody comes a little close in a four-wheeler; I say the same thing, except it's "Hit the Beemer first."

The car gets closer, and Ken runs around our bikes, toward the car. I think he is about to get the driver's attention, and maybe say, "Hey, watch out, that's close enough." And maybe that's what he was thinking of saying, too. But instead he yells, "There's nobody in the car!!!" and starts to push against the rear hatch of the car.

I think he slowed it down a tad, as he got out of the way at the end and the car rolled into my XCT. Then he went into the store, and got the owner out. The owner may someday be a Darwin Award winner, for leaving a stick-shift in neutral and not putting on the parking brake (whether or not he thought the area was level). But for now, he's still among us.

The car mostly came to rest, courtesy of its flexible bumper, against the long side of the bag guard, and a little against the exhaust shield. Left some red paint on those, and after the guy left I just sort of rubbed them off. His bumper seems to have been the loser here.

My XCT, however, did get damaged. I think because I shut the bike off in first gear, the rear tire didn't budge, or not very much, anyway. So if the rear tire doesn't move, and you push against an XCT from that angle (see pics), what happens is this: the bike leans over on the sidestand, and the front wheel winds up in the air; it's hard to see, but that's what you're seeing in the fourth pic, below. The bike was sitting like this for maybe 10 minutes.

When the car was driven forward, with our holding the bike, it came to rest normally. Except that the bike seemed lower. I think the sidestand was bent somewhere, and so the bike leaned more. I don't think the sidestand is designed to hold the weight of the engine, fairing, front wheel, and much of the frame in the air. I got on the bike, held it upright, and Ken stood on the deployed sidestand, and bent it downward. I think the end result is that the thing is about back where it started from.

The guy called it in, BTW, and a NY state trooper showed up in a couple of minutes. She told us that if property damage is under $1,000 and no personal injury, it was optional regarding having a police report filed. And what we did or didn't mention to insurance companies is therefore our business, if no police report is filed. We decided against filing a report, or messing with insurance companies. I have a $500 deductible, so there's that. And I have pics of the guy's license, insurance certificate, and phone number, and he agreed to pay me for any repairs.

So I think I need a new sidestand, because I don't trust metal fatigue, the thing having been bent and unbent. There doesn't seem to be any damage to anything else.

Requests:

1) Hey, Paulie at Honda East: can you get me a good price on a sidestand? 2012 XCT.

2) Anyone have a pic handy of where the end of the sidestand comes to rest, when it's in the "up" position? I'm just curious, to see if the rubber footrest comes to rest against the bottom of the derby (which is how mine now rests in the up position).

Pretty lucky, all around, for an accident. I wasn't even on the bike, and it was in gear, or it probably would've been pushed over, taking Ken's bike with it, too.

That's all I got.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Glad you were not hurt buddy . Beemer Ken either . Looks like it could have been a lot worse damage wise .... You guys are lucky !

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you were not hurt buddy . Beemer Ken either . Looks like it could have been a lot worse damage wise .... You guys are lucky !
I come through two track days unscathed (and knock on wood, for the next one), and a fookin car ROLLS into the bike in a fookin parking lot? But, yeah, you're right, pretty lucky.

And I also mentioned to Ken that we lucky that the Statee hadn't seen us a few miles beforehand, when we might have exceed the speed limit by a couple mph.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
And I also mentioned to Ken that we lucky that the Statee hadn't seen us a few miles beforehand, when we might have exceed the speed limit by a couple mph.
Couple 35-40 ? :ltr:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Damn, man. Good thing it was a wind-up car. If it was a pick-up truck, well, you get the idea...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Damn, man. Good thing it was a wind-up car. If it was a pick-up truck, well, you get the idea...
Right , imagine if the was an F350 Dualie , Holy **** !:eek:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Under $1000 bucks nonreportable? Heck the mufflers are that much.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Under $1000 bucks nonreportable? Heck the mufflers are that much.
Well, it was like somebody took a crayon to them. I think they're okay.

You make a good point*, but I think she really just didn't want to mess with the paperwork.

* (I remember a couple of years ago I scratched and chipped the lid of one of my saddlebags, and I looked into the pricing. I eventually managed to score a used lid of the right color, but when I was researching I learned that it was cheaper to buy a PAIR of saddlebags -- which Vic sold as a set, at least back then -- than to buy the major pieces of a SINGLE saddlebag: the bottom, top, and hinge.)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sorry to hear Bill, but I'm glad things and you are mostly alright.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill... don't let the idiot who hit your bike off easy. If he marked up your pipes make him buy you new ones.
I'll take a better look in the daylight tomorrow, and see if I can spot any damage. A check at the scene didn't reveal any dents, that sort of thing, but it was a quick check. The bumper seemed very flexible.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear Bill, but I'm glad things and you are mostly alright.
Yeah, pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Ya know, if you have your health ...

And I don't suppose I'm the only one out here who's had a driver-less car just roll into their bike, right?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bill, I can stop by and you can compare side stands if you want
K

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a pic of my side stand as you requested.
Thanks, Paul! Yep, it looks like the end rests in a different spot, not bumping against the derby cover (or whatever that's called).

Just took a few pics of mine, and the best seems to be one with a flashlight pointed at the area (and I must say, I'm really getting too old to get down on the floor for this stuff):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I increased the shadow level of that pic, and cropped it:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last one, copied to my web site.

I don't want to cause this page to glom up everyone's browser, so I'll just post a link here, that anyone interested can click on, wait for it load, and then click on to expand it:

www.billanddot.com/2016-06-22_08-13-35.JPG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts