Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a louder exhaust and accomplished that as they sound fantastic. Bike has an ATS set at +4, I pulled the O2 sensors and just checked the plugs. They look fine, only about 200 miles since the slip on swap. My question is, after reading numerous threads.. do I need a tuner? My intention in the first place was to avoid the cost of a tuner because I'll need both a PCV and an AT as there isn't anywhere close to get a decent tune. I was going to pick up a Lloydz IAV but it states it needs to be used in conjunction with a tuner. If I do indeed need a tuner then I'll just go back to the stock mufflers, I don't want to hurt the bike if it's running too lean.
thanks

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Moose , a fuel controller should not be needed if you are only running slip-ons ... You will not hurt anything .

·
12,968 Posts
Lloydz says you should check your exhaust flange bolts. If there loose take a ride and when you get home tighten again.
If you had the headers off and didn't put in new gaskets that might be a problem there.
Your muffler clamps are tight I mean the muffler can slide around on the header pipe if so you might have to take them off put another cross slot in the muffler with a hack saw.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Lloydz says you should check your exhaust flange bolts. If there loose take a ride and when you get home tighten again.
If you had the headers off and didn't put in new gaskets that might be a problem there.
Your muffler clamps are tight I mean the muffler can slide around on the header pipe if so you might have to take them off put another cross slot in the muffler with a hack saw.
VJ , what are you talking about ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VJ- Didn't remove the head pipes. Are you suggesting there might be some air escaping between the head pipes and mufflers? They were a bitch to get on but they're on. The clamps are super snug as well. I guess it could be a possibility but I don't think it's likely.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Oh , you mean he may have a leak , gotcha ! Ya Moose you could have a leak causing the popping , Cant imagine its because your lean . Some guys here run a complete exhaust and don't use a controller .... If you add an air cleaner you will definitely need a tuner .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Moose , check your head pipe nuts they should be torqued to 12 ft lbs . Just make sure they are tight as well .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
How bad is the popping anyway , I only ask cause whenever you change out the stock mufflers you always encounter some form of added popping . Even with a tuner and a good tune , popping on decel may still be present .....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
head pipes torqued. There is about 3 good pops per downshift and it only does it under load. If I just pull the clutch in and coast to a stop (tried it once just to see) there's no popping. The mufflers are snug, I can't get them to budge.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I hate to say it , but its really not uncommon for this occurrence . If you listen closely , even the stock mufflers have a faint popping , but by their design and restrictiveness , they help keep the popping at bay ... If you are getting a light popping , and not .44 Magnum blasts , I personally would not worry about it , and would perceive this as normal . How do the pipes sound in general ? If you like them , run them !

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
As long as your plugs are looking good you should be fine. I would switch out the stock exhaust gaskets for the pre 106 gaskets and call it a day. It's the nature of the beast unfortunately when ever you open up the exhaust. Like Mags has stated, the stock exhaust is built heavy (double walled) with 2 baffle plates so any popping that occurs is muffled through the thickness and 2 baffles, so you don't hear it....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'd still check your stock exhaust gaskets, alot of them leak right from the factory, quite possibly a $20 fix. If you search Mags winter thread I posted the part # in it for the gaskets you want....

·
Registered
144 Posts
LOL...true, Mags...too easy!

There just seems to be a lot of threads I read that abruptly stop...and I wonder how the problems get solved. :)

·
12,968 Posts
I read where some guys didn't even find exhaust gaskets at the heads where the pipes bolt to.

The exhaust flange nuts on my bike were loose so I tighten them went for a 200 mile ride came home and they were loose so I re tightened them. Had to do this a couple times before they stayed tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts