Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Has anyone heard of adding an over-drive gear to an 8-Ball before? I have an '07 8-Ball and I love it. I got it in August of 2007 and have close to 10,000 miles on it already.

I got some upgrades this spring, and something I was wondering about was if there was some information about the possibility of adding an overdrive gear to the bike. With the spring and summer weather I've been taking the bike to work, and having that extra gear on the highway would be really nice.

Any help or information anyone has will be greatly appreciated! Have a great weekend everyone!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I took a look at the site you sent and that's what the mechanic at my shop felt would be the better, less costly approach to some kind of overdrive setup. And after reading the reviews from others who have had the pulley installed, it sounds like the right way to go. Besides, actually installing a 6th gear costs, according to the mechanic, about $6000.00 as compared to $450.00 to install the drive-reduction pulley.

Thanks again for the information, tgherbicide! Looks like it's time to visit the shop.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I have an 06 8-ball and I put the overdrive on mine. I like it on the highway, get a little more milage, but I going to take it off this week. Because of the larger size I get a belt rub when I ride two up. It rubs at the top of the housing. I've ground off some of the cover, and it doesn't rub as bad but any medium size bump or dip in the road still causes a rub. Good luck

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey crzy8,

I did put the overdrive pulley on the bike and I was having the same problem with the belt and the pulley cover. The shop ground out the cover as much as they can but they also tightened the belt a bit as well as that has reduced the belt-rub to only when I hit a bad bump. Having the shock adjusted for two-up riding also seemed to help a bit but having the cover ground out a bit and the belt tension adjusted made a big difference. I'm going to "ride it out" for now until I can buy my Cross Country as what wear has shown on the new drive belt isn't enough to have me worry.

Safe riding to you!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Careful with the belt tension! Too tight and you will destroy your bearings in the rear wheel and or break your belt.

Hey crzy8,

I did put the overdrive pulley on the bike and I was having the same problem with the belt and the pulley cover. The shop ground out the cover as much as they can but they also tightened the belt a bit as well as that has reduced the belt-rub to only when I hit a bad bump. Having the shock adjusted for two-up riding also seemed to help a bit but having the cover ground out a bit and the belt tension adjusted made a big difference. I'm going to "ride it out" for now until I can buy my Cross Country as what wear has shown on the new drive belt isn't enough to have me worry.

Safe riding to you!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duly noted, Diamond. That's why the shop did the work and not I. So far, the bike seems to be performing as well as ever and the belt-rub is only happening on the bad bumps or dips. Regular riding is smooth as glass so I have to trust that the shop didn't over-tighten the belt.

Thanks, however, for the words of caution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts