Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I bought a XC 8-Ball last year, and was wondering if adding Cruise control was as simple as adding this:

VIC will be back soon

I know that there is a thread on here about the ability of adding Cruise to this bike (it was stated that it is possible), but there weren't really any specifics to what it entailed. Are there more pieces that would need to be added? Sorry for such a stupid question... I just can't seem to find much info on the subject.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hey there,

I bought a XC 8-Ball last year, and was wondering if adding Cruise control was as simple as adding this:

VIC will be back soon

I know that there is a thread on here about the ability of adding Cruise to this bike (it was stated that it is possible), but there weren't really any specifics to what it entailed. Are there more pieces that would need to be added? Sorry for such a stupid question... I just can't seem to find much info on the subject.

Thanks!
I put it on my 2014 8 ball and everything needed came in the kit. The switch housing was chrome but I really never cared.
I was lucky enough to get a marked up set of instructions from another member that had a couple of short cuts in it.
It took a while but it all went on. The instructions near the end are pretty vague.
For instance they don't give you much info on locating the connector for the set/resume/on/off/accell/ decel switch that is located in the fairing.

Someone here posted a picture for me. I believe it was the only connector of that type in the fairing but it sure helped to have a picture to put my mind at ease. It seemed like most connectors in there had a label except that one.

Another thing was that when reassembling the exhaust I needed to refer to the manual for the details as they assume that you would know to do that and gave no detailed instructions of the order of reassembly. Now you know.

All that I wrote probably makes it sound worse than it was. All and all it went quite well and worked the first time.

I use the cruise every time I ride more than a few miles .
It's not the best cruise control unit by far but it is light years better than no cruise. I'd definitely do it again if I had one without cruise.

Sometimes that kit comes up quite cheaply on Ebay, or at least it used to.
Right after I bought mine I could have bought the kit for $100 less there.:frown
Of course I had been looking for about 6 weeks and one never came up till I had my new one in hand.

You can also get it from a member who works for Honda Toledo East who frequents here. He gives members here a pretty good discount from MSRP, He saved me some money over buying it locally, no tax, shipped it promptly and I was really satisfied with the service I got.

Funny that they still haven't fixed that it fits both the XR and XC in their ad.:ltr:

·
12,983 Posts
save money

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Motorcycles-Cross-Cruise-Control/dp/B002Z3A5UA[/ame]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey there,

VIC will be back soon

Thanks!
I can't remember where I found it but I have a write up for the installation that is much easier. I'm in Atlanta teaching for the next few days and when I get home I can email it to you if you would like. I haven't had a chance to put the cruise control kit in my XC so I don't have actual proof that it's easier but it doesn't require taking the shock out like the factory instructions have you perform.

PM me if you want me to send those instructions to you, I'll be home the middle of next week.

In any event please let us know how it went!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't remember where I found it but I have a write up for the installation that is much easier. I'm in Atlanta teaching for the next few days and when I get home I can email it to you if you would like. I haven't had a chance to put the cruise control kit in my XC so I don't have actual proof that it's easier but it doesn't require taking the shock out like the factory instructions have you perform.

PM me if you want me to send those instructions to you, I'll be home the middle of next week.

In any event please let us know how it went!
Hey there all,

Sorry... got busy, and didn't come back to respond.

Thank you guys for the information. It's good to know that it won't be a big deal. I was hoping that it was mostly a plug and play type of thing. As far as the chrome housing goes... I did find this:

Cruise Control / Radio Bezel - Wicked series

Which will match the beveled/contrast theme I'm going with on the bike perfectly!

Draper, I will fire off a PM to remind you about the installation instructions. I truly do appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Hey there,

VIC will be back soon

Thanks!
Buy the kit, install and I think it needs to have the bike reflashed to let the bike know it has had hat installed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My friend has a 2014 XC in Suede Titanium Metallic and for some reason that color did not come with cruise (or ABS for that matter.) He bought a cruise control kit from the Vic dealer and we installed it. As I recall it took about 2 hours.

The instructions that come with the kit do a decent job of walking you through the install. As someone else pointed out, the instructions for where to plug into in the fairing are not very good.

The main thing I wanted to point out is that the instructions have you remove the exhaust, rear wheel, swing arm, etc. to mount the control box which is located in a cavity of the frame under the seat. It has to go in through the bottom of the bike. The weekend before I had put a lowering link in my XC and thought that there was plenty of room to get the box up under the seat. Sure enough, if you follow the instructions found on the Wichdoctor's website for installing the lowering link you will find you have access to the area of the frame under the seat and you don't need to remove the exhaust, real wheel, etc.

The kit only came with a chrome bezel for the controls. We removed the chrome covers, sanded them until the chrome was dull and rattle canned it and so far it has held up well.

One other hint, try to have your tank as empty as possible. When we did the install my friend had just filled up and it made removing the tank a chore.

It really wasn't too bad of a project. And having the CC is a must if you do any distance riding.

Good luck!

·
12,983 Posts
VictoryisMine!

go to dealer and have them show you wear the box goes. It will help you get a better understanding

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Buy the kit, install and I think it needs to have the bike reflashed to let the bike know it has had hat installed.
It doesn't actually need a flash. It just accepts the module and goes, at least that is how mine went. I did do the self check before I rode it. That is in the manual.
Once it passed that I took it for a ride, and it worked pretty well. I think I might have had to adjust the return cable at some point but nothing major.

Be sure to install the return cable with the switch terminals down so any water can run out. Also the return cable w/switch sent in the kit looked identical to the one already on the bike. I changed it out per the instruction but I am sure I could have just turned the switch over with the terminals down so it could drain and run the one that came in the bike and saved the time it took to take the throttle apart and put on a new cable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome information... thank you all!

I have so many things that I want to do to the bike... and it's that time of year to get started. I've started to order the various parts for it, and will spend the next couple of months getting it closer to what I want.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It doesn't actually need a flash. It just accepts the module and goes, at least that is how mine went. I did do the self check before I rode it. That is in the manual.
Agreed! That was our experience too.

Also the return cable w/switch sent in the kit looked identical to the one already on the bike. I changed it out per the instruction but...
Also agree! We switched the cable too but when we had the existing one out and compared it with the new one from the kit we saw no difference between the two.

Be sure to install the return cable with the switch terminals down so any water can run out.
If you haven't yet run across a CC thread, water collecting in the throttle position sensor (the part Joe is telling you to about) causes the CC not to engage. I've had this happen to me both after washing the bike and getting caught in the rain. Others have said that using dielectric grease on the connections will also solve this problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts