Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
13,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do we have guys here that don't want to fit in. They have tried or haven't tried to fit in so they say.
We have ask them many times to put in there signature year and model of bike along with what state there in.
They say they have or there on there phone and information doesn't show up. I don't believe them because there are many post here from new guys and old that put this information on there signature and it show up.
Administrator they say it's your fault for not making them do it or the program we have now will not let them do it. We asked you when this forum went to the cloud and you did nothing about it.
Maybe we should black ball these that don't want to fit in. I don't have answer and thats why I'm coming to you/

For those of you that want to throw rocks at me fine I don't care like you don't care

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
VJ, no one died and made you boss. There are no requirements for anyone to put in their physical location or bike type. Get over it and find some other ox to gore. How dare you accuse others of being liars. Your exact statement was, "They say they have or there on there phone and information doesn't show up. I don't believe them because there are many post here from new guys and old that put this information on there signature and it show up." which clearly indicates you are calling others liars. Perhaps some people don't have a laptop and only access this site by phone or tablet and perhaps they are not liars but, rather, the signature works differently for laptop/desktop versus phone. I personally know one of the people you are calling a liar, Indy Victory. He is an honest and honorable man and has explained many times that the signature feature about which you are so gung ho does not work on his phone and that he does not have a computer with which to access this site. You should be ashamed of yourself for calling him and others liars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
VJ, no one died and made you boss. There are no requirements for anyone to put in their physical location or bike type. Get over it and find some other ox to gore. How dare you accuse others of being liars. Your exact statement was, "They say they have or there on there phone and information doesn't show up. I don't believe them because there are many post here from new guys and old that put this information on there signature and it show up." which clearly indicates you are calling others liars. Perhaps some people don't have a laptop and only access this site by phone or tablet and perhaps they are not liars but, rather, the signature works differently for laptop/desktop versus phone. I personally know one of the people you are calling a liar, Indy Victory. He is an honest and honorable man and has explained many times that the signature feature about which you are so gung ho does not work on his phone and that he does not have a computer with which to access this site. You should be ashamed of yourself for calling him and others liars.
Agreed. VJ, you have called out many for this, I just do not understand your obsession. I have decided to hold on to my nice little Vegas and so look forward to contributing more here but the attitude is often unnecessarily aggressive. There seems to be very little daily activity here with the exception of a handful. We should focus on making people feel welcome, not yelling at them for not telling everyone where they live.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
VJ, I agree with you, there should be a portal when signing up to include where (just the state will do) and what model and year Victory they ride. It's common courtesy for a motorcycle forum. Probably not so critical in a car or truck forum.

It's frustrating and time consuming to ask every time.

The Canuck is also right. This forum doesn't get much traffic and it always slows way down this time of year so it wouldn't hurt to use a bit more tact.

I don't know how big of a deal it would be to change the code in the forum to make this happen but I do know programming and web design is never as easy as they make it look.

For those who normally log in using a cell phone; I can't believe they don't have access to a laptop or desktop somewhere they can log in for a few minutes and put this basic info in their signature.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a samsung 7, fully up to date software. I can't see sigs on it and don't intend to start using my laptop to read messages on forums. On the sister even with being able to click on a name then profile, I often find members who want to help someone ask an OP what yr and model bike they have. Its just seems easier to roll with it than to make it a hill to die on?

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
This should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think I'll remove everything just to get on his nerves.
I sort of like that idea but that would take time for me to remove my info and while PO'ing VisionJohnny would be fun, it is not worth spending any more of my time on. Besides, I am proud of our bike stable and living locations.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
I have a samsung 7, fully up to date software. I can't see sigs on it and don't intend to start using my laptop to read messages on forums. On the sister even with being able to click on a name then profile, I often find members who want to help someone ask an OP what yr and model bike they have. Its just seems easier to roll with it than to make it a hill to die on?
Supposedly you turn the cell phone sideways to see the sigs.

My Android cell phone is turned off 99.9999999% of the time so I don't know for sure.

I think, considering the responses I'm reading, the best thing is to just ignore anyone who doesn't bother to put their location and Vic in their sig line when they ask technical questions.

It's the polite thing to do.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Why do we have guys here that don't want to fit in. They have tried or haven't tried to fit in so they say.
We have ask them many times to put in there signature year and model of bike along with what state there in.
They say they have or there on there phone and information doesn't show up. I don't believe them because there are many post here from new guys and old that put this information on there signature and it show up.
Administrator they say it's your fault for not making them do it or the program we have now will not let them do it. We asked you when this forum went to the cloud and you did nothing about it.
Maybe we should black ball these that don't want to fit in. I don't have answer and thats why I'm coming to you/

For those of you that want to throw rocks at me fine I don't care like you don't care
Why does it matter one way or the other. Some people on here may not have a motorcycle and never have. I don't care, I get the information I want and need. I converse with the people I wish to. I block some people because I just don't want to hear/read what they have to say. You will always question if some people really have a motorcycle or ride on a site like this. I don't care if they do or don't. I wouldn't let it bother me, not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
I just don't see the big deal, if it needs to be answered than just ask, this is a forum it's purpose is to interact with each other.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Or just ignore the rude people who refuse to list their location and bike. Simple.

Q: I need new brake pads for my Cross Country what do you recommend?

A: I'm not answering that because you don't list where you're from

Q: That was rude.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts

A: I'm not answering that because you don't list where you're from

Q: That was rude.
Actually it would go more like this but you did mention the bike type so you're only half rude.

A: Crickets.

A better analogy would be:

Q: Q: I need new brake pads for my Cross Country what do you recommend locally?

A: Crickets.

We know what type of bike it is and we know (to my knowledge) all X-bikes used the same brake pads but we have no idea where "locally" is unless it's listed under the Avatar or in the sig line.

See... simple.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought the whole purpose of the information in the signature was so the people who wanted to help knew what type of bike/year you had. This is especially important when the persons question didn't state what type of bike they had. That's why I added the info in my signature. I never knew the VJ was the one who recommended it. I saw it in other people's signatures and "joined" the crowd.

As far as rudeness goes every forum has their curmudgeons. I belong to several forums; motorcycle, firearm and cave diving and they are all the same. There are always a few members, who think they know it all and criticize the posts of other less knowledgeable people, who are just looking for some help. The first time it happened to me on another forum I was shocked, but I got over it. I now realize how easy it is to act like an as* behind the screen of your computer, so I don't let it bother me. As far as forums go, this place is very very tame. On the other forums that I belong, the few as*holes are very aggressive and threatening at times. That most certainly effects ones willingness to post. The bottom line with this forum is the kinder we can be as a forum community, the more people will post and interact.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
I view this as a simple courtesy and very common on these kinds of forums. This is why I consider it rude to not list your bike (year and model). The location is a distant second to the bike info and really only comes into effect for certain questions. Knowing what kind of climate the bike is exposed on a daily basis helps. Is it muggy, dry, snowy, wet, dusty, etc? I belong to a truck and a car forum. Everyone lists their truck model and year and the same goes for the car forum. It's very basic common courtesy.

Obviously the location is relevant when asking where and what type to buy brake shoes because the person might be in Phoenix, AZ or they might be In Australia, the UK, or even Indonesia. The type shoes recommended may not be available locally or even by mail.

Also it's a time saver to list the basic info.

The way I see it is if anyone doesn't want to at least list at least the year and bike model then why are they even here at all unless they are actively looking to buy a Vic?

If it's in the political section and some foreigner wants to involve themselves in our politics; we should know that about them. It matters. I don't go to the XYZ country's forum to talk smack about their politics. They should not, IMHO, come here to ours and do it. If they do it respectfully looking for answers; I don't see anyone having a problem with that. America is unique in the world with our freedoms; particularly freedom of speech all other countries lack. Just ask Tommy Robinson in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
I thought the whole purpose of the information in the signature was so the people who wanted to help knew what type of bike/year you had. This is especially important when the persons question didn't state what type of bike they had. That's why I added the info in my signature. I never knew the VJ was the one who recommended it. I saw it in other people's signatures and "joined" the crowd.

As far as rudeness goes every forum has their curmudgeons. I belong to several forums; motorcycle, firearm and cave diving and they are all the same. There are always a few members, who think they know it all and criticize the posts of other less knowledgeable people, who are just looking for some help. The first time it happened to me on another forum I was shocked, but I got over it. I now realize how easy it is to act like an as* behind the screen of your computer, so I don't let it bother me. As far as forums go, this place is very very tame. On the other forums that I belong, the few as*holes are very aggressive and threatening at times. That most certainly effects ones willingness to post. The bottom line with this forum is the kinder we can be as a forum community, the more people will post and interact.
As long as I'm here that will NEVER be tolerated. Ever!!

The politics section gets heated but for the most part it's chest pounding and nothing more and when people get out of control then I'm forced to do my job. That's the only section **to a point** that people can be dicks to each other, outside of that section everyone has to be respectful.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
As long as I'm here that will NEVER be tolerated. Ever!!

The politics section gets heated but for the most part it's chest pounding and nothing more and when people get out of control then I'm forced to do my job. That's the only section **to a point** that people can be dicks to each, outside of that section everyone has to be respectful.
Thanks for all you do to keep this place pleasant and friendly.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts