Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I'm changing the bars on my Vegas and need a longer clutch cable and brake hose. I have a few questions I'm hoping those who've been down this path before or those in the know can help with.

1 - How do you remove the original clutch cable? There is a nut that's very close to the bracket holding the cable sleeve (near the metal J bend) that I can't seem to get undone because is obstucted by the clamp it's actually fixed to. Also the end of the cable doesn't easily feed through the hole in the frame's neck.

20140426_143351.jpg

2 - What aftermarket clutch cables are available for the victory? There were some generic ones at the local parts shop that are the right lenght but I'm not so certain they would work with out the above mentioned metal J bend.

3 - Are brake hose fittings standard for bikes? eg Can I use a harley brake hose if it's long enough? My local parts shop mainly stock harley and sports bikes... they were a bit reluctant to put an order in for a custom length hose citing fitting / compatibility issues.

I'll also be calling the local Virtory dealer to see if they can order OEM parts or have any from wrecked bikes but they're closed tomorrow so just wanting to see what else is out there other.

Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas

·
13,177 Posts
First off measure what you need for length and make sure you have say 4" extra for steering play.
Now put all the slack you can in clutch cable that should give you room to un hock the cable mount.
Call witchdoctor tell him what your doing how long the new bars are and he will give you cable and hose

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
In a city as large as Sydney, there should be a MC shop that makes its own cables and hoses. I have a shop or two here in Portland that does. A few phone calls around town might do the trick.
Sorry, can't help you with extricating your old cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off measure what you need for length and make sure you have say 4" extra for steering play.
Now put all the slack you can in clutch cable that should give you room to un hock the cable mount.
Call witchdoctor tell him what your doing how long the new bars are and he will give you cable and hose
Thanks VisionJohnny,
I wound down the adjuster to get as much slack as possible and pulled it through. I have the thing almost out except for the very end of the cable... it doesn't want to go through the cable mount. It just looks like a tight fit and i've tried lubing it up but without success.

Do you have any tips? I want to avoid cutting the cable if possible.

For the benefit of others.. its this bit....
20140509_142613.jpg

not going through this bit
20140509_142514.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a city as large as Sydney, there should be a MC shop that makes its own cables and hoses. I have a shop or two here in Portland that does. A few phone calls around town might do the trick.
Sorry, can't help you with extricating your old cable.
As far as the break cable I called Spiegler performance parts. They will make it to the length you need and color you want. Prices are not bad either, I saved over $50 when I ordered direct. www.Spieglerusa.com

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks Guys. Problem I find is Victory is still building up its brand name here in Oz and is probably still too new for most shops to know the technical ins and outs.... that leaves the 1 dealer in Sydney to have a monopoly on parts and service (Yep, that's right. Only one Victory dealer in the whole metro area)

Anyways I ordered from this mob - Hel Performance Australia - http://helperformance.com.au
Pick want you want online and they send it out. Much cheaper than the $100 bucks i got quoted and less bullshit too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Put in as much free play in the cable as possible at the adjustment.

I released the clutch from the engine by holding the clutch handle with a small clamp and then I held the clutch at the engine with a set of pliers and disconnected the cable.

I then used an open ended wrench and undid the retaining nut on the left side of the bike that clamps the "J" bracket to the bike.

I then disconnected the cable from the bar and ran the cable through tank and down that plastic/ rubber holder thingy.

Done. It was a bit of a pain to get through the black cable run, but it will come out and I didn't damage anything.

I ordered Spiegler cables, with 4+ inches through www. ConquestCustoms.com. The cable is a little longer than I needed and was a pain to run back through along the tank. I ended up scratching the coating on the new cable a bit. I have the OEM HighBall apes on my Vegas which are 12" apes I think.

Hope this all made sense, I have no pics at work, so can't point out what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
speigler brake lines

got my brake lines for my dual disc on the 13 hammer thru conquest made by speigler worked great! black of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts