Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the front tire and was looking at the Michelin Commander 2. Anybody use this tire or know anything about it?

Also getting ready for spring maintenance on the bike and just need to know if there is any particular thing out of the norm i should check?

I would like to install a new clutch cable to avoid problems on the road.
Does Victory still sell clutch cables for this bike or is there another source i can get it from.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Need to replace the front tire and was looking at the Michelin Commander 2. Anybody use this tire or know anything about it?

Also getting ready for spring maintenance on the bike and just need to know if there is any particular thing out of the norm i should check?

Does Victory still sell clutch cables for this bike or is there another source i can get it from.

Very general topic title, made me click it... how about "Need tire, maintenance, cluth cable advice"

See, I have no advice for you, clicked for no reason.

wac

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have the Michelin commander 2's front and rear. I really like them, seem to handle good. I have not had them on wet pavement yet.

I added 16" apes on mine and have Barney cables.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Dann, I almost picked up the MC2 but got some negative feedback on them as well as my other tire I was looking at so I stayed with the Dunlop E3 which had 16K on it and no issues year round. I think the tire threads are like oil threads so go with one and see what you got. Since your doing your spring maintenance don't forget to check them bearings and replace if in doubt since you got the wheel off. I think there like 12 bucks each.

Clutch cable, IMHO I think your better off spending your money on a SYR cable and chrome lever cover than replacing the cable. When you pull the handle check for slight burring right at the grove of the hangle where the lead swedge slips in. +1 on Johnny's input about clean and lube. I shot white lithium once a month and cleaned it every other oil change. NO burring what so ever on my cable end. I have not heard one report of cable snap mid cable and only 1 at the cable lever on the motor. As an emergency item, carry a pair of vice grips and SHOULD the worst happen, you can go suicide to get ya home with the grips locked on the motor.. hehe

Call this guy for the Save Your Ride cable. He will be glad to help ya.

Safe ridin,
Tim

http://www.noemtz.com/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Tim, you don't know what it does to Pop when you talk that way.
Heh:D. Yup, workin on our bikes is friggin sensual isn't it Pops. Lmaothumb up

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know about the syr cable, I just thought buying a new cable would be money better spent since a syr cable is 45 bucks. I guess I will have to decide on witch tire i go with. Maybe ill flip a coin on that one.
Thanks to all for your reply, Well at least the helpful ones.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I know about the syr cable, I just thought buying a new cable would be money better spent since a syr cable is 45 bucks. I guess I will have to decide on witch tire i go with. Maybe ill flip a coin on that one.
Thanks to all for your reply, Well at least the helpful ones.
Shoot I forgot to say why the SYR I ER stock. My stock cable was 115.00. Of course you should check online for a better price as I was broke down without a SYR. Not a good day.

Safe ridin

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just replaced all the cables on my TC with Barnett cables since my pullback handlebar mod required cables about 4" longer. If I recall, the clutch cable was about $65. They are very well made. Their cable has an improved design at the clutch lever end. The metal cylinder has a plastic sleeve around it plus the metal extends out onto the cable where it passes through the slit in the lever. Both features combined prevent the lever edges from being able to even touch the cable.

If you get their cable, DO NOT lubricate with oil or grease. The cable itself has a plastic covering and the sheath has a plastic lining. Lubrication will attack the plastic, degrade it, and make it sticky. They are designed to run dry. My cable runs very slick and smooth. Much easier that my original with all its required lube.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts