Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making this post in case anyone is interested in following or as the same issue.
My XC has been a rock... so, its hard to get too pissed now that its failed me.
Last week on a ride(and my first real road ride of 2020) about 60 miles in we made a stop, at which point the bike never started again.
Battery seems to be charged and the fuses all in-tact, turning on the ignition powers the fuel pump, dash and lights. Hitting the stater button does nothing, except produce some clicking form under the tank.
I haven't had time to really dig into it since it happened, all I've done is fully charge the battery but that did nothing.
I ordered a new battery(currently on the original), 40amp circuit breaker, I also have a replacement starter with a new solenoid on hand. When I get a chance, before I tear everything apart, I'm going to jump the starter switch to rule that out.
Here's a vid from the day it happened.. Problem toward the end if you don't want to watch the whole thing..

·
13,235 Posts
I'm guessing battery. solenoid starts the bike. 40 relay maybe but highly dought it even if 89% people will say thats it.
Good looking blond

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's okay VJ, no matter what's said, I'll figure it out ;)
Since I'll be in there anyway I'm going to replace the old battery and 40amp circuit breaker no matter what's wrong.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How was the headlight? Bright?
I have an LED but it seemed to be at normal brightness. Also just before we stopped I happen to glance at the volt meter and it was right where its always been for the past 6 years, a tick above 14v

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
779 Posts
Man that sucks be sure to let us know the solution to this problem!!

Stay Safe,

Rob

Reactions: PaiN

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
Replaced my 2012 original battery last year. No idea how it lasted as long as it did. Bike sure did not want to run with it probably bad cells never tested. Runs great with fresh battery.

Reactions: PaiN

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I replace my battery every 3 years, it's part of the P.M.'s I do,

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's okay VJ, no matter what's said, I'll figure it out ;)
Since I'll be in there anyway I'm going to replace the old battery and 40amp circuit breaker no matter what's wrong.
Hey Pain, good to replace stuff one bit at a time, tnen test. Humour me, replace the battery, then give it a try, before moving on to the 40 amp breaker.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Pain, good to replace stuff one bit at a time, tnen test. Humour me, replace the battery, then give it a try, before moving on to the 40 amp breaker.
First I'm going to jump the starter switch, but the battery in next, its getting replaced no matter what's wrong.

·
Registered
537 Posts
so something weird that happened to my cross roads a while back..... haven't been able for the life of me to figure it out, but have you tried pulling in your clutch to see if it would start? i got caught in some super light drizzle a couple years ago on the way to work. when i went out at lunch to get some chow, i had something very similar. it wouldn't start, gonzo. i have never had to pull in the clutch before to get it started, hell i didn't think it even had a safety switch like a couple of sportbikes in the past, but one of the harley guys i work with asked if there was one. so for grins and giggles i pulled in the clutch and voila, started right up.... since that day, if i rode thru fog or if it was particularly humid, i would have to hold the clutch lever in and it would start... maybe something like this happened to yours?

Reactions: Ahoutzer

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Those battery packs that jump batteries many times are part of my saddlebag kit these days. If nothing else they will get the bike started and get me home if it's the battery that's the problem. I already had one fail on me but fortunately I was close enough to a parts store who had the right size in stock to get me going.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I jumped the starter switch tonight, I can eliminate the switch as part of the problem. Once the new batt. gets here I'll replace it and continue the investigation.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A good multimeter and knowing how to use it would make this process a whole lot simpler for people with electrical problems. Changing parts just 'cuz can get expensive.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Pain
Crossed any streams with your bike?
My wife's bike doesn't enjoy deep water.
When having to cross a flooded street she submerged her starter and pulled water into it. 6 months later after sitting for a while the bike stopped starting.

I believe one of the 2 starter mounting bolts is easily accessible.
If you remove just that one bolt and it is covered with rust your starter is your issue or soon will be.
It's been a while since I worked on the wife's bike but I am pretty sure that one of them can be readily removed for inspection. The entire inside of the starter looks like the bolt does. Either shiny and dry or rusty from water being drawn in past the o rings as the housing cools rapidly and having no way out. I meant to come up with a way to vent ours to eliminate that but never got to it. Like a lot of things....

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Very interesting in the outcome , like @visionjohnny said it must be something simple..... following this thread for sure

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Remember, volts don't equal cranking amps. Also, could be the starter solenoid. Is your ground solid? You seem to have somewhat ruled out most everything else.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
Until the battery is changed your just chasing goats

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Until the battery is changed your just chasing goats
I agree... I put the Vic on jack, pulled the bags and the chin fairings and grill. Then pushed it into a corner until the new battery gets here next week.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts