Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,668 Posts
Ghosts. Not sure why you would chase goats. Haha.

Reactions: Dan050

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm making this post in case anyone is interested in following or as the same issue.
My XC has been a rock... so, its hard to get too pissed now that its failed me.
Last week on a ride(and my first real road ride of 2020) about 60 miles in we made a stop, at which point the bike never started again.
Battery seems to be charged and the fuses all in-tact, turning on the ignition powers the fuel pump, dash and lights. Hitting the stater button does nothing, except produce some clicking form under the tank.
I haven't had time to really dig into it since it happened, all I've done is fully charge the battery but that did nothing.
I ordered a new battery(currently on the original), 40amp circuit breaker, I also have a replacement starter with a new solenoid on hand. When I get a chance, before I tear everything apart, I'm going to jump the starter switch to rule that out.
Here's a vid from the day it happened.. Problem toward the end if you don't want to watch the whole thing..
Starter solenoid 98% sure . Been there done that . Tripped me out when it happend . I got one from autozone. Just a generic one. But it worked.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Starter solenoid 98% sure . Been there done that . Tripped me out when it happend . I got one from autozone. Just a generic one. But it worked.
I purchased a refirb-ed starter a few years ago because it was a good deal, it came with a new solenoid attached👍 .... I was going to wait on the new battery before I replaced anything else but you got me all excited... I might have to go dig into it. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a refirb-ed starter a few years ago because it was a good deal, it came with a new solenoid attached👍 .... I was going to wait on the new battery before I replaced anything else but you got me all excited... I might have to go dig into it. ;)
Yea it really scared me cuz I thought It was starter. "Which did go out" replaced that and no start. I was like omg. Then as I kept hearing the clicking noise I knew what the issue was. You will be just as excited!Badda bing badda boom

·
Registered
288 Posts
PaiN, my bike did the same thing yours did a few years ago. I went for a ride and returned home bike ran fine, went to start the next day to go to work and nothing. Turn the key on, lights worked, fuel pump charged, hit the start button and all went dead and no turn over of the starter. i checked the battery and it had 12.0 VDC. I left the meter hooked up when I hit the start button the meter went to 0.0 VDC. Put new battery in, all problems went away.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
These things don't need batteries. They run on gas!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yea it really scared me cuz I thought It was starter. "Which did go out" replaced that and no start. I was like omg. Then as I kept hearing the clicking noise I knew what the issue was. You will be just as excited!Badda bing badda boom
PaiN, my bike did the same thing yours did a few years ago. I went for a ride and returned home bike ran fine, went to start the next day to go to work and nothing. Turn the key on, lights worked, fuel pump charged, hit the start button and all went dead and no turn over of the starter. i checked the battery and it had 12.0 VDC. I left the meter hooked up when I hit the start button the meter went to 0.0 VDC. Put new battery in, all problems went away.
No joy with the solenoid change :( but it was worth a try. I'll have the new battery on Monday....fingers crossed.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
288 Posts
No joy with the solenoid change :( but it was worth a try. I'll have the new battery on Monday....fingers crossed.
[/QUOTE]
Keep us updated - we need to know.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I left the meter hooked up when I hit the start button the meter went to 0.0 VDC. Put new battery in, all problems went away.
That's why I change the battery every three years, people brag about how long a battery lasts.......until you're stranded. Funny, they then stop bragging.

Reactions: kezzy39

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's why I change the battery every three years, people brag about how long a battery lasts.......until you're stranded. Funny, they then stop bragging.
I still have my original battery, its a 2011. Talk about tempting fate.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I still have my original battery, its a 2011. Talk about tempting fate.
Hopefully when it fails you're close to home and not on a group ride, kind of messes up the ride for the group when one bike breaks down. I don't like being "that guy".

Reactions: NAB

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Its not something I bragged about, the battery is something I just did not put enough thought into. You're right, I should have changed it years ago, but the bike always started so strong and ran without issue that a battery change barely crossed my mind. Also, prior to my Vic, I've never had a motorcycle I kept more than 2.5 years, so changing the battery wasn't bold enough on my regular maintenance check list....It will be now, especially if its the source of this problem...

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Motorcycle jumper cables are good to have.
You can push start them if you have a little charge left in the battery. On my 2011 XC the battery went bad after about a year. There was a group of us riding down to the Johnson City Pig Roast near Austin, TX. We had to push mine of in the middle of no where. I did make the trip on the battery, but it was iffy.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
I carry one of these in each of my vehicles. They work!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
On Batteries heat makes a big difference on how long the last.
A battery that is 3 yrs old in the AZ desert is probably the same as a battery that is 5 yrs old in Mass.
There is a good article on it here:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I carry one of these in each of my vehicles. They work!

That is so small. It will start a V6 truck?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,668 Posts
Reviews say it will start a V8. The T8 model has even more power output. Tempting to get one of these myself.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Up to a 7.0L V8. They have them in varying power ratings with this one being toward the top but this other ones would work fine for a bike but I figure if I'm going to spend the money I want it to work on pretty much anything in case I need to help someone in distress in a car to get them going. I also figure it doesn't have to work as hard and will start the vehicle more times the more residual power it has.

Look up "battery power pack for car" for more options.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts