Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I haven't ridden my motorcycle in a while. So yesterday I went for a ride. I backed my scooter out of the Cantina turned on the key and hit the start button. It just barely kicked off and the volt meter wet to the bottom and stayed there for a second or two. Then moved up and got to where it normally runs. It reset trip meters and all of that stuff. I guess the battery was pretty low. I let it run while I wiped it down. Turned it off and did a few things that took about a hour and a half. Went out to go riding and it kicked right off. Turned it off a couple of time and restarted it at locations I was riding. Left it off a couple of hours in one location. After I got home I parked under a tree to let the motor cool off before pulling it back in the Cantina. It started fine all day. I never thought I would ever use a battery tender, but I guess I may need to buy one or start riding more. The battery is two years old I put on in 2018 right before I went to the Sturgis Rally.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
I use a battery tender year round since I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. I used to ride almost every day. These days I'm lucky if I ride once a week or even twice a month. I think I'll be selling the KP.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Reviews say it will start a V8. The T8 model has even more power output. Tempting to get one of these myself.
If you're getting one, make sure the clamps are small enough to fit into the battery box and clamp on the terminals without shorting to anything else. Some of the bigger units have big clamps, to cope with higher cirrent

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
@PaiN

Did you get the new battery installed?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
@PaiN

Did you get the new battery installed?
If you're following, sorry for the delay on this. Sunday I undertook the job of installing a big bore piston kit in my dirt bike(its a 4 stroke) and it took me way longer than I expected. Plus I hit two snags during the job, a jumped timing chain and a shorted kill switch :poop: I have two big enduro rides coming up this weekend and needed that bike back in action, which, as of last night it is👍 The Vic had to take a back seat.
Yes, I got the battery Monday, but haven't put it on the charger yet. I will get to that that and pop it in as soon as I can.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
New battery in and Vic fired to life. (y)I buttoned the bike back up, its running strong as ever.
I guess the ignition sys.\starter needs some serious juice to turn. I can't believe everything powered up. dash, lights, fuel pump etc. but the starter would not budge in the slightest....
Can't blame this one on the bike either, its my fault for running the battery out as long as I did.

·
Registered
779 Posts
New battery in and Vic fired to life. (y)I buttoned the bike back up, its running strong as ever.
I guess the ignition sys.\starter needs some serious juice to turn. I can't believe everything powered up. dash, lights, fuel pump etc. but the starter would not budge in the slightest....
Can't blame this one on the bike either, its my fault for running the battery out as long as I did.
well pain in the ass LOL but done and simple...simple is good... be safe on your weekend rides

Rob

Reactions: PaiN

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Good deal, simple fixes are the best!!!

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
Takes lot of amps to start any bike. I've seen it posted for years online about doing a 100 amp auto battery test on bike batteries. The standard test isn't enough to find problems.

Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Compared with cranking over 2 X 875 cc cylinders, all other loads on the electrical system are tiny
Except an electric reverse for the few who have them.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Great to here (y)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts