Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in upgrading my 2015 Gunner to an LED headlight. Victory has an upgrade with a black face plate for about $500 Canadian and looks pretty easy to install thanks to a video posted on this forum. I've seen some aftermarket LED headlight kits that seem to be more reasonable priced $90 to $140. For example the RAZIR kits RAZIR Motorcycle LED Headlight Kit | HIDeXtra Just wondering if anyone has experience with aftermarket LED headlight kits (in particular the RAZIR ones). They appear pretty easy to install and sounds very tempting for the price.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Those kind of LED headlights are very blinding to oncoming traffic while at the same time illuminate the road less for the driver/rider. Not only that, but these may have built-in cooling fans, same time that are in small electronic devices such as computer graphics cards, etc and I would be very skeptical how long they would last in such a harsh environment like a motorcycle.

I honestly think you'd be very disappointed if you installed them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HemiDan:

I assume the LED Headlight is from Victory. It looks sweet. There is a video somewhere that details the installation and it looks fairly straight forward. I'm interested in aftermarket products like the RAZIR to try and reduce the cost. Not sure that's the the way to go looking at your bike. I don't think it will look as good as your's looks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
HemiDan:

I assume the LED Headlight is from Victory. It looks sweet. There is a video somewhere that details the installation and it looks fairly straight forward. I'm interested in aftermarket products like the RAZIR to try and reduce the cost. Not sure that's the the way to go looking at your bike. I don't think it will look as good as your's looks.
Thanks
And good luck , I know nothing about the Razir
The Victory ones are expensive but well made and plug and play..

here is where I found them the cheapest..
OEM Parts: Polaris, Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat, Suzuki

I see your in Canada? Order it and ship it to my House and we can meet and away you go....if thats cheaper for you?

Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer. I'll have to see what direction I'm going to go and what cost options are out there. I do have some other shipping options in the US.

Never rode in the States yet. All over Ontario and Quebec. I live just outside Windsor, ON which is right across from Detroit. I frequently drive in the Detroit area and roads are often in poor condition and busy. I figure it would take about an hour to get across the border and to some nicer riding. Some Michigan riding is definitely in my plans for next year.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
If you can get your headlight housing apart, I am almost positive that a round light from jwspeaker.com can be fit in there. They use an H4 connector just like the stock light.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
A word of caution. I have a friend who installed the Victory LED headlight assembly in his XR (XC headlight is the same) and I gotta tell you, when he's behind me, his light is invisible. He says it provides great night time lighting, but if you want conspicuity, this ain't gonna cut it. This is one area where H-D has it all over Victory as their LED lights can be seen during the day from all angles. Apparently, Vic engineers don't know that LEDs are very directional in focus. Too bad. If you want to be seen from the front, add a pair of road lights that grab attention from all angles.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Is his light adjusted correctly? I was in front of an XR that had the led headlamp was able to see the light just as well as a stock light. I don't believe he had his brights on. Would've been a jerk move if he did.

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Personally. I reckon LED headlights look fkn horrible.
Love my Victory HID :)

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The biggest problem with those aftermarket LED replacement 'bulbs' is they offer no glare protection so they become blinding like an unshielded high-beam light. At the same time, they don't throw enough light on the road to be an improvement. The glare from LEDs are such that it may look like your brights are on even when it's not and your headlight is properly adjusted.

Pros:
Less energy used
Much more reliable

Cons:
Don't throw much light to the road that is usable (when compared to halogens or HID)
Much more glare when compared to other types (HID or halogen)
Many of them have cooling fans that easily malfunction and may cause your bulbs to overheat

I am running a VICHID in my low beam and a LED bulb in my high beam.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I put led bulb in my Vegas,looked nice and twinkly like xmas lights but gave no beam whatsoever,threw it away and put in osram nightbreaker,happy now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tiger, get the Victory LED I love mine! It's plug and play if you already have the bullet housing. If you don't then it will cost a bit more, and I was a bit salty about paying that much. However I am very glad that I did go with the conversion!

Guys I ride with are always telling me how bright it is when I am behind them. Anything even remotely reflective on the road will be lit up like the 4th of July.

**make sure your preload is properly set and that you aim the light by the book. Get it out on a dark road and refine the headlight adjustment further if needed. A lot of guys skip these steps and it is critical that they be done and done properly.

Hemidan, that same picture of yours from the other site pushed me into getting a auxiliary light set up. I decided to go with a pair Harley lights and housings because I could go put my hands on them at a local dealership. Helped a lot to see how they were mounted, and even though I am a Victory owner they parts guys there were very helpful and went out of their way to make sure I got the right stuff ordered. It will be fun getting it all setup on my Gunner, should look killer when I am finally done with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cruzie27:

I have the stock headlight on my Gunner. It has a round headlight assembly whereas the Victory LED kit does not look round. Would I have to buy a new headlight assembly if I went with the Victory LED kit.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
You would need to buy a "bullet" headlight from a dealer or online before using the victory beacon led.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep you need a bullet housing for the Victory LED,. If I had to do it again I would try to find one online for cheap. If you do end up going to a dealer for one it was cheaper to buy the parts individually instead of the conversion kit.

If you stay with the round headlight housing maybe look at Truck light LED headlights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts