Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've touched down the floorboards a few times on my XCT (see the Deals Gap pics at the end of my gallery page - link below), without incident.

The boards fold up five or six degrees, according to my measurement. In case anyone was wondering what comes next, I took a short off-ramp from a scenic byway in a spirited fashion today and found out it's the exhaust cover. See pics below; the exhaust mark runs from a few inches behind that seam to half a foot or so in front of it. The bike got squirrelly for a second, upping the pucker factor, so I don't really recommend this.

(Incidentally, I have my tires at approx. 40/42 F/R, and my shock somewhere between 40 - 50, and I weigh about 220. And as I wasn't really expecting this, I wasn't hanging off, they way you might ride during an obvious course of twisties; if I had been, might not have touched anything.)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
WOW! Who'd a thunk it?!? What a unique badge of courage you are sporting. Glad you came through it OK.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
police floor boards

Remember when you wear those floor boards out they offer police ones that have a replaceable wear piece,if I remember correctly.:confused: I think you have pushed it to the limit leaning over. UNLESS you start modifying and allowing more lean clearance. I still have not touched the boards on this bike. My last bike I use to drag things once in awhile.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My bike is an inch lower in the rear. I've scraped the bag bar lower bracket several times making right turns, but not the floorboards or shield. I'm half tempted to raise it back to stock height.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't get it. I have a stock XCT and tires are at 40/40 with rear shock at 40lbs.

I also have the highway pegs that get mounted underneath the floorboards VICTORY HIGHWAY PEGS VISION TOUR, CROSS ROADS & CROSS COUNTRY 2875738.jpg

And I have tried leaning over very far but haven’t come close to hitting the extended highway pegs. Well I came close but they didn't scrape. That's probably because I was watching for them to scrape and subconsciously not leaning far enough.

I did lean real far with the pegs up and was surprised just how far these bikes can lean but still didn't hit the edge of the floorboards, it was close though so I know I could hit the extended highway pegs if not careful.

Oh, and I weigh in at a hefty 285lbs.

I think I need to look into adding some curb feelers so my highway pegs would just raise my floorboards up instead of maybe catching the edge and doing some real damage to the bike and myself.

There is a Philips screw underneath the peg itself and it doesn’t appear to hold anything on, so I'm thinking it's for removing and adding some curb feelers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had the cruise pegs mounted on my last bike and I could could scrape all day and never the pegs close to the ground. I did add an extention and nut to use as a wear part.

I've been close but have not scraped the XCT boards yet. I'm sure it will happen but not something I am gunning for, I am down to front chicken strips of about 3/8" so I know it is just a matter of time before the boards loose paint

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I've touched down the floorboards a few times

It's interesting how much weight distribution (front to rear) effects it on our bikes. This guy is about ready to dechrome his high dollar pipes
and he doesn't even appear to be near ready to touch a floorboard:

·
Registered
554 Posts
The guy above looks like he didn't set his shock up for 2 people, and if he leaned his body to the left of the centerline of the bike would not even be close to touching.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm lowered and always hit bag guards first, then my heat shields at the rear because the angle of the bike is so much lower in rear.

When I put on the RPW's I decreased the diameter of the shields at the rear (made them fit tighter) and it helped alot.

Really need someone to figure out an easy way to lower front of bike to get it more level.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are two pics from when I went riding Deals Gap in April (about a month after I got my '12 XCT):

http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/hi-res/170227.jpg
http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/hi-res/170266.jpg

(If you wait for the pics to load, and then, in most browsers, just click anywhere on them, they expand to full-size; at that point, you can use the scroll bars to move around. Posting pics directly on the forum here doesn't really do justice to detailed shots.)

Anyway, I was visiting a daughter in Asheville, about two hours away, and was just doing a day-trip of riding in the area. You can see: A) lots of stuff close to touching, and possibly a floorboard down, and; B) reasonable posture (and looking through turns), but I wasn't hanging off. I was just doing a rhythm sort of ride, not trying to set any records. On the way from NC to TN, I don't think I hit anything; the way back - second pass, and better sight lines in that direction - I scraped the boards two or three times.

MTVic: what are RPWs?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Man wspollack, you got that thing leaned! I have rode the Dragon numerous times (plus roads that make the dragon look tame) on my Suzuki and would sometimes drag a peg but I know I don't get as agressive of a lean angle as you have in that first pic! Do you go into the curves pretty hot or enter the curves to the inside alot? Just wondering because I took my XR on some pretty curvey roads last Friday and even though I am still getting used to the bike I just barely scraped the right floorboard and was going at a decent speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had the floor board on my XR on the pavement a few times. Wish they folded more than they do. Still impressed with the amount of clearance and the handling of the bike when it is heeled over that far. Love that bike! :)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Here are two pics from when I went riding Deals Gap in April (about a month after I got my '12 XCT):

http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/hi-res/170227.jpg
http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/hi-res/170266.jpg
Looks like you bag protectors would touch down before the pipe. I'm thinking you must have hit a bump or compressed the suspension somehow to hit the pipe where you did. You seem to have plenty of pipe clearance as do I at full lean.

I would be far more worried about hitting those crash bars. The heat shields will give without causing harm. You get on one of those crash bars, you're in for a bad day...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man wspollack, you got that thing leaned! I have rode the Dragon numerous times (plus roads that make the dragon look tame) on my Suzuki and would sometimes drag a peg but I know I don't get as agressive of a lean angle as you have in that first pic! Do you go into the curves pretty hot or enter the curves to the inside alot? Just wondering because I took my XR on some pretty curvey roads last Friday and even though I am still getting used to the bike I just barely scraped the right floorboard and was going at a decent speed.
I try to do delayed-apex turns, i.e., outside-in; ya know, try to stay on the outside (especially with the lane-crossing yahoos possibly present), see as much of each curve as you can that way, and then dive in late, to actually take the curve.

Hey, if you're bored, here are two pics from four years ago, doing the Dragon on my 650 scooter. After you expand the first one, if you look near the ground by the back wheel, you can see some sparks from the sidestand being given a trim. Like the XCT's floorboards, uneventful touching that down.

http://www.billanddot.com/burger.jpg
http://www.billanddot.com/burger2.jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like you bag protectors would touch down before the pipe. I'm thinking you must have hit a bump or compressed the suspension somehow to hit the pipe where you did. You seem to have plenty of pipe clearance as do I at full lean.

I would be far more worried about hitting those crash bars. The heat shields will give without causing harm. You get on one of those crash bars, you're in for a bad day...
Saddlebag: yeah, it looks that way, but it's pretty hard to tell. In the first pic, you can see a few inches of bag-guard clearance, but you can't really see under the pipe cover on the left side; to me, that pipe looks closer. We need some Dragon pics shot from the side here.

Yeah, I agree with you: touching down something solid - and the pipes don't really count, in that category - could take a lot of the fun out of it.

Hey, all: Coincidentally, I got December's Motorcyclist in the mail today. In it, there's an article about a Victory PR run from Vegas to Sturgis with a few magazine guys. The Motorcyclist writer (Joe Gresh) talks a lot about the XCT in general, and about grinding the floorboards a bit on several models. I've scanned in the relevant page and put it up on my web site, here:

http://www.billanddot.com/Motorcyclist-Dec-2012-Sturgis-Victory-page-3.pdf

Have a read...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Saddlebag: yeah, it looks that way, but it's pretty hard to tell. In the first pic, you can see a few inches of bag-guard clearance, but you can't really see under the pipe cover on the left side; to me, that pipe looks closer. We need some Dragon pics shot from the side here.
Here's one of mine there. I've never touched either pipe. This is all floorboard grinding. And they have been ground down much farther since then and I've still never touched a pipe. That pic was taken less than a month after I got the bike.

It appears to me that there is still at least a couple inches of clearance before pipe grinding.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's one of mine there. I've never touched either pipe. This is all floorboard grinding. And they have been ground down much farther since then and I've still never touched a pipe. That pic was taken less than a month after I got the bike.

It appears to me that there is still at least a couple inches of clearance before pipe grinding.
Saddlebag: nice pic, nice riding, nice posture, etc. Hard to tell how much room is underneath the pipe farther forward, but you're probably right. Interesting...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts