Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team:

I have always use medium grade gas (89). After installing the timing wheel (6+), PC-V with custom map, Hi-flow air filter and drilled baffles, do I need to use premium grade gas? Today was the first time I fill with premium and it feels like the performance of the bike diminish. I like to ride the bike hard and upshifting above 4000RPM's. whit the premium gas bike feel slower, not sure if is my imagination. Any ideas?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hello Team:

I have always use medium grade gas (89). After installing the timing wheel (6+), PC-V with custom map, Hi-flow air filter and drilled baffles, do I need to use premium grade gas? Today was the first time I fill with premium and it feels like the performance of the bike diminish. I like to ride the bike hard and upshifting above 4000RPM's. whit the premium gas bike feel slower, not sure if is my imagination. Any ideas?

Thank you.
Why would you change your fuel if you didn't change the COMPRESSION of the engine any? Just go back to regular (you don't even NEED mid-grade as Victory bike's are designed to run "just fine" on regular :crzy:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The sticker on my tank says to use at least 91 octane , regular around here is 87 . No way in hell would I use that , I'm strictly 93/94 , highest available when I need fuel .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Why would you change your fuel if you didn't change the COMPRESSION of the engine any? :
Because he advanced his timing quite a bit ... Low octane fuel will cause major pinging and engine damage .

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I've always run "premium"(91-93 oct) grade fuel in my bike, even stock. Mostly because(I believe) the premium has better detergent and cleaning agents in most brands.
On the other hand, I know broggyr has his ATS set to +7 and he runs 87oct fuel with no problems or ping issues.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've always ran regular with the stage one filter and it's never ran hot or pinged. Premium gas has no additional detergent or mystical cleaning agents over regular. Premium only has an additive so that spontaneous combustion (dieseling) doesn't occur.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Sorry Blowndodge, the difference is this; The higher the octane number, the slower (longer) the burn. Regular burns faster, that's why it has a greater tendency to ping in higher compession engines.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I've always run "premium"(91-93 oct) grade fuel in my bike, even stock. Mostly because(I believe) the premium has better detergent and cleaning agents in most brands.
On the other hand, I know broggyr has his ATS set to +7 and he runs 87oct fuel with no problems or ping issues.
Slight correction:
I'll run 87 in the early spring and late autumn. When it's hot, I'll put 91+ in it...

·
13,177 Posts
6 degrees I think is to much with the ATS when all the builders are setting the timing at +4
91 octane is good for plus 95 degree days and running up hills and mountains. For normal city riding and going threw the countryside 87 or 89 is fine if your not pinging.
87 or 89 octane will cause less carbon build up on your pistons and valves

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry Blowndodge, the difference is this; The higher the octane number, the slower (longer) the burn. Regular burns faster, that's why it has a greater tendency to ping in higher compession engines.
You obviously didn't read my post carefully. Additives are added to premium so that the spontaneous (igniting fuel without the aid of a spark) is reduced. Slower burn times show a lower energy output to Premium. You want the fastest burn time without spontaneous (pre-ignition) happening. If your bike doesn't ping on regular using premium with it's "slower" burn time is reducing power.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
You obviously didn't read my post carefully. Additives are added to premium so that the spontaneous (igniting fuel without the aid of a spark) is reduced. Slower burn times show a lower energy output to Premium. You want the fastest burn time without spontaneous (pre-ignition) happening. If your bike doesn't ping on regular using premium with it's "slower" burn time is reducing power.
Agreed BD.....

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
6 degrees I think is to much with the ATS when all the builders are setting the timing at +4
I spoke with Kyle Crandall at MOM's last sunday and he said these bikes can take a wide range of advance. Some can go +8 with no issues while some can't go more than +2 or +3 without pinging. It depends on the particular machine.

Builders will probably set +4 to be conservative, then tune it as need be with PCV...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I spoke with Kyle Crandall at MOM's last sunday and he said these bikes can take a wide range of advance. Some can go +8 with no issues while some can't go more than +2 or +3 without pinging. It depends on the particular machine.

Builders will probably set +4 to be conservative, then tune it as need be with PCV...
Kyle added +4 to my PCV at 80% and 100% over 2500 RPM's and my wheel is at +4 . No pinging , I run 93 /94 minimum .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts