Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Victory Vegas 8Ball. Just installed Hacker Ripper exhaust, along with their Anger Management Fuel Control Module.

I've ridden the bike 3 times since then, and have burned a hole in 2 different pair of jeans. This does not seem like normal behavior to me. I've written to Hacker Exhaust multiple times, and they are unable to offer much insight as to what might be happening, other than the normal "we've sold thousands of these and this has never happened". I'm not trying to blame the exhaust, I just want to figure out what's happening. I called my local Victory dealership, and was told that they wouldn't be able to do much since it's not Victory exhaust.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm assuming the bike is running too hot, so I'm worried about causing damage. I watched closely last time, and noticed that my boot cut jeans would get blown back a bit while riding and was resting on the pipe. I don't think it was for very long though. I've worn these jeans for the last 3 years, first on my 07 Victory Vegas 8 Ball with upgraded exhaust, and this one with stock exhaust, and nothing like this has happened.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
13,235 Posts
where are you resting your leg? What no heat shields?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are pics of the offending hardware (unfortunately it isn't an ironing mishap). the pipe has a heat shield. As I said, I'm more worried that the bike is getting damaged than I am about my jeans. although 1 pair of jeans per ride would be an expensive habit indeed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
My RPW Big Slash is routed similarly and I have yet to burn a pair of jeans. I'm not familiar with that fuel controller or how it is setup but maybe the bike, or even just that cylinder, is running super lean...if so, that is not a good situation. Have you disconnected the O2 sensors? Have a chat with the manufacturer about it and/or try to get it on a dyno to see where you're at.

In the meantime, how about a pair of those super, super skinny and very stylish, paint on type jeans! thumb up

I tried to insert an image but didn't work! :confused: Hopefully you get the picture.:)

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Just a guess but wondering if use the rear brake may be touching the pants leg on the exhaust try looking at your postion when braking .. That Brake pedal looks way too close to the exhaust ..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks like the pipes are positioned right. Appears that you have extentsions on your forward controls and that makes it appear different. May not be the case, but that's kinda what I saw in the pictures.

Pipes should not be getting hot enough to do that to jeans. Go find a dyno that has the air/fuel ratio sniffer. That things running way to hot. I'm thinking too lean. JMHO.......

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can

change pipes
change pants
add another heat shield
move pegs

You can get the engine tuned for cooler operation which isn't a bad thing to do but it isn't going to save your pants.

Your beef is with the pipes manufacturer. If you are not the first complaint they got for this then you have a willful negligence component to your argument. I wouldn't start negotiating for new pipes with that argument but I wouldn't be afraid to haul out the blamethrower to get what I want. If you are the first and you can demonstrate that your pipes are typical of a manufacturing run then you are doing them a favor and getting a better designed replacement set should be a no brainer. Kind of tough to do if you know noone else with those pipes but maybe someone here will chime in.

In the meantime get a set of add on heat shields. They are cheap, about the price of a pair of Levis. They are easy to put on, couple of screw clamps. Paint 'em if it floats your boat and place them over your existing shields where they will get between your pant leg and your pipes.

If the pipes are burning your pants, sooner or later they will brand your leg.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ok , I draped a piece of old jean jacket right over my exhaust heat shield in the same spot as I can make out yours would be after I rode the bike for 35 minutes ... I watched , and watched .... The jeans material never burned at all , it was hot , but ZERO signs of burning / melting . I would agree with a couple other guys here , you are running way too hot / lean . I left the bike idling while watching ....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ok , I draped a piece of old jean jacket right over my exhaust heat shield in the same spot as I can make out yours would be after I rode the bike for 35 minutes ... I watched , and watched .... The jeans material never burned at all , it was hot , but ZERO signs of burning / melting . I would agree with a couple other guys here , you are running way too hot / lean . I left the bike idling while watching ....
Hands on experiment.... COOL !!!!!!

Ummmmm..... What brand of jeans ??? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did disconnect the O2 sensors, and used the replacement inserts from the exhaust manufacturer. I checked the spark plugs for the signs of running lean, but didn't see the white I was expecting. I think taking it to a dyno is my next step.

My RPW Big Slash is routed similarly and I have yet to burn a pair of jeans. I'm not familiar with that fuel controller or how it is setup but maybe the bike, or even just that cylinder, is running super lean...if so, that is not a good situation. Have you disconnected the O2 sensors? Have a chat with the manufacturer about it and/or try to get it on a dyno to see where you're at.

In the meantime, how about a pair of those super, super skinny and very stylish, paint on type jeans! thumb up

I tried to insert an image but didn't work! :confused: Hopefully you get the picture.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have 2 inch extenders on the pegs. I felt too cramped with the new setup.
Thanks for the insight. I'm going to find a dyno and hopefully get some more insight.

Looks like the pipes are positioned right. Appears that you have extentsions on your forward controls and that makes it appear different. May not be the case, but that's kinda what I saw in the pictures.

Pipes should not be getting hot enough to do that to jeans. Go find a dyno that has the air/fuel ratio sniffer. That things running way to hot. I'm thinking too lean. JMHO.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome. Thanks for the test. I knew that it wasn't normal behavior, but good to see just how abnormal it is.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was just thinking , my jean jacket is 100% cotton , if your jeans are not , and contain some polyester or other highly flammable material , that may explain the burning . Something to think about , check your burnt jeans for materials , and report back .wac

·
13,235 Posts
randymwill
wounder what your getting for gas mileage

back in the day with drag pipes you could burn your jeans but we had no heat shields then

1 - 20 of 21 Posts