Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here's another brain storm for us. The manual says we need to change the fork fluid every 15k miles. I figure that's a bit conservative so let's say 20k miles but certainly no more than that if we are doing the basic maintenance on our Vic's.

The MSRP on a Victory fork seal kit is around $130 each. Yup. Each. The thing is we don't need all the parts in the kit; just the fork seal and the dust seal. The bushings generally just get replaced as needed and that isn't all that often.

What I hope to do with this thread is to get a basic list of aftermarket fork seal part numbers and manufacturers. In my search for the 04 Kingpin seals I found a set for both forks for around $28 plus shipping. Sure beats $260 any day and the best price I could find using another forum's discount was $73 for each kit. That's going through Victory.

Since we need to pull the forks on the Vic's with the inverted forks to change the fork oil; it's good idea to go ahead and change the seals since we have it apart anyway but only if the seal kit is affordable. Here's what I have found so far for the Kingpin 04-08 and Hammer 05-08.

KP, Hammer 04-08 - Both forks - $28
All Balls Fork Seal & Dust Seal Kit - No. 56-133

XC, XR, KP, Hammer - full kit per fork w/bushing - all years - Witchdoctor $28

Now, I can't verify this but logic tells me that since the KP and Hammer kits for all years match up with the part numbers on the Witchdoctor site with the X bike seals that they are all the same.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this logic?
http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1510/victory-motorcycle-parts-suspension-fork-seal-bushing-sc-277/
I figure we can do our own research for each bike and add to this thread when we find the correct kit for specific years and model Vic's. We already know we can get a basic full kit from Witchdoctors but if all we need are the two seals per fork; why not just buy them and get a full kit if we see something wrong with a bushing? In the meantime; I'm gonna look for the bushings at a price point that might be better if I buy 4; just to have them in stock and not have to wait for them if needed.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm all for affordable seal kits.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a very good fork spring compressor on the advice of someone who does this every day, at a decent price of $116 shipped.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900028020/_affidz_-dGP

My research turned up the Motion Pro seal driver as a good product at an ok price from Amazon.com. Motion Pro Ringer Fork Seal Driver - 43mm. $39 plus shipping at the time of this writing.

So far my tool costs are just a little more than what the local dealership was going to charge me in labor to do this job if I brought the forks in to them off the bike.

So I won't be saving anything on my first set of forks but after that, which will be soon on the XC, I'll be saving a bundle. I guess I'll go ahead and stick with the recommended schedule of every 15k miles since it'll just cost me about $58 for the seals and oil vs over $400 if I let the dealer do this.

I'll take a few pics to add to this thread when I do the first set. Maybe I'll do some word of mouth advertising to do this job for others for $50 plus parts if they take the forks off. I'd pay for the tools after a while and even make a couple of bucks for the beer budget. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Something doesn't add up here. I just had my front fork oil replaced at the dealership, it cost $192 Canadian for parts and labour and that was with 12% tax for our province. I think your dealerships are gouging you.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
That's because you don't need two of the Victory kits, only 1.... so it's not $260, it's $130. The kits comes with two sets, one for each fork leg.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dayum! Screwed again!

Yeah. The dealership said it calls for two kits. When looking it up online it looks like it calls for two kits as well. Good thing they are parts that won't go to waste!!

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add some more info to this thread for others in the future...

The front axle on an 04 KP requires a 14mm hex wrench and the 2011 XC requires a 16mm hex. I don't know why they aren't consistent in making them the same size. You might want to check yours if you have a different year/model. In fact it would be good to know if there are other sizes on different years/models.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to finish this with a follow up now that I'm done. I found it took me about 3 weeks to do the first fork because I was getting my tools together and learning the process. The second fork took me about 20 minutes taking my time and about 40 minutes to put everything back together. Assuming the same time to take it apart; this would be a 1.5 hour job in real time with some parts cleaning which is what they quoted me at the dealer so that was fair assuming they thought I meant bringing the bike in and not just the forks.

The Vic kit was much more complete; right down to the top O ring for the cap. At $80 or so - delivered; that's not such a bad price for something being done every 20k miles.

I see the kit for the X Bikes, Hammer, and Kingpin from 2010 on is about $21 each or $42 for the pair before any discount plus shipping from Don Wood Victory. I see no reason to not go with the complete kit from Vic.

To correct myself; there's 946 cc/ml in a quart so two quarts would be needed for either kind of forks.

There's about 23k miles on the KP when I did this project and can already tell how much better the front end feels so for me at least; this is a 20k mile interval job but really should be done at 15k. I've gotten kind of anal when it comes to suspension in my older years. If the rear shock wasn't such a pain in the butt to get at and remove; I'd change the fluid in it too. The oil just wears out like it does in the engine after going through the dampener so many times.

Must have tools were the axle hex, spring compressor, and seal driver, plus seal kit and oil.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dragging up an old thread I know, but I think this one is worthwhile.
I want my local mechanic to do the an oil change on the KYB inverted forks on my '09 Hammer and all I want is the seals & maybe the dust seal. At 25000km the bushes have no movement so I don't see the point in changing them.
Has anyone ever gone to the trouble of finding replacement seals from a industrial or bearing supply company? Do you have a part number I may be able to cross-reference?
I see Witchdoctors sell them but to Australia it will cost more in postage than the bearings are worth.
Can we pull the old ones out and just run them up to the local bearing service and match them?
Would they have part numbers on them?
I'm not tight but reluctant to spend my hard-earned on stuff I don't need such as the Vic kit. Of course, if it is all too hard I will but I thought it worth posing the question.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I want my local mechanic to do the an oil change on the KYB inverted forks on my '09 Hammer and all I want is the seals & maybe the dust seal. At 25000km the bushes have no movement so I don't see the point in changing them.
Has anyone ever gone to the trouble of finding replacement seals from a industrial or bearing supply company? Do you have a part number I may be able to cross-reference?
I see Witchdoctors sell them but to Australia it will cost more in postage than the bearings are worth.
Can we pull the old ones out and just run them up to the local bearing service and match them?
I'm not tight but reluctant to spend my hard-earned on stuff I don't need such as the Vic kit. Of course, if it is all too hard I will but I thought it worth posing the question.
I got fork seals for my Vegas off eBay they came from the USA
The all balls brand.
You wont need bushings for many many miles so I wouldnt bother changing bushings till thier perceptively worn

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks MBX, just checked that out.....All Balls don't seem to list a seal for my bike. Mine is '09 106 Hammer S (build Nov 08) with the Kayaba inverted forks, not the Marzocchi ones. I need seal + dust seal.
Maybe they are the same as Cross Country ones?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Thanks MBX, just checked that out.....All Balls don't seem to list a seal for my bike. Mine is '09 106 Hammer S (build Nov 08) with the Kayaba inverted forks, not the Marzocchi ones. I need seal + dust seal.
I reckon they would be.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
OK...I mean mine might go out tomorrow...but I have 46,000 miles on my bike and I have not done anything with my fork seals yet. Should I? What happens if I don't?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
OK...I mean mine might go out tomorrow...but I have 46,000 miles on my bike and I have not done anything with my fork seals yet. Should I? What happens if I don't?
Just keep in truckin till they start leaking and it cant be fixed with a Sealmate, surely youve had to clean em out with a Sealmate or similar home made device a few times in 46,000 miles?

Have you changed your fork oil?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just keep in truckin till they start leaking and it cant be fixed with a Sealmate, surely youve had to clean em out with a Sealmate or similar home made device a few times in 46,000 miles?

Have you changed your fork oil?
Don't know what Sealmate is and no, I have not changed fork oil in 46K. :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

Here's another source for you maybe.
Racetech used to have a distributor in OZ.
Not sure where. Here Racetech stocks almost every part for OEM forks and usually their prices are better than the dealers here. Could be the same there. No promises though. I took a class there once and one of the guys in the class was from Australia. Had nothing good to say about the distributor at home at that time. Things could have changed by now. It's been awhile. Email Race tech. Their parts here are OEM straight from Japan or wherever, mostly. Maybe they still have a stocking distributor in OZ, never know till you ask.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here's another source for you maybe.
Racetech used to have a distributor in OZ.
Not sure where. Here Racetech stocks almost every part for OEM forks and usually their prices are better than the dealers here. Could be the same there. No promises though. I took a class there once and one of the guys in the class was from Australia. Had nothing good to say about the distributor at home at that time. Things could have changed by now. It's been awhile. Email Race tech. Their parts here are OEM straight from Japan or wherever, mostly. Maybe they still have a stocking distributor in OZ, never know till you ask.
Thanks Joe, I have emailed Race Tech and I'll see what they say.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts