Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on a couple threads that removing the rubber seal around the front of the air box on a X bike is good for more air input. However, I couldn't seem to find much detail when I did a search.

How is this removed? Do you need to remove the gas tank, or just raise it? Any disadvantages?

Thx

greg

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diamond, thx for your reply. I just realized that i omitted an important part from my original post.

When I talked with Lloydz, the lady who answers the phone...(Brie I think) said all I had to do was reach under the tank and pull the seal out!

The service manage at my dealer said to remove tank. :confused:

I will try to reach Lloyd himself tomorrow, but was curious if anyone had tried to just "pull it out"?

·
Registered
45 Posts
These bikes already have a lot of hp / torque. Is removing the seal gonna make that much "seat of the pants" difference, if any? What are the drawbacks of the removing the seal? Shorter filter life maybe?

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
These bikes already have a lot of hp / torque. Is removing the seal gonna make that much "seat of the pants" difference, if any? What are the drawbacks of the removing the seal? Shorter filter life maybe?
No drawback per se but I'm not gonna do it until I can get a K&N air filter for it. There's a slim possibility that the filter could get wet in rain so the stock paper filter won't cut it. K&N doesn't make a filter for the X bikes yet but an 06-07 Vegas filter will fit with a few minor modifications.

The Victory high flow performance filter is reported to look cheap.

Anyone have a used K&N from an early Jackpot for sale?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
No drawback per se but I'm not gonna do it until I can get a K&N air filter for it. There's a slim possibility that the filter could get wet in rain so the stock paper filter won't cut it. K&N doesn't make a filter for the X bikes yet but an 06-07 Vegas filter will fit with a few minor modifications.

The Victory high flow performance filter is reported to look cheap.

Anyone have a used K&N from an early Jackpot for sale?
First off.....While K&N does not make a filter. Vic does sell an oil type cleanable cloth filter

Secondly the chance of water intrusion causing a problem is right around the same % as being hit by a falling piano. The strip is there for NOISE ONLY

That said
The strip can be removed with the tank in place
On average a bone stock X bike will pick up 2HP/5FtLb on my dyno, and yes you can feel it

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Secondly the chance of water intrusion causing a problem is right around the same % as being hit by a falling piano.
Do the odds change if you live in Arizona with 10" annual rainfall:ltr:

Sorry BBOB, had to say it:D

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Do the odds change if you live in Arizona with 10" annual rainfall:ltr:

Sorry BBOB, had to say it:D
Around here it's closer to 5" of annual rainfall. I was just figuring "my luck" factor into it. :D

Good catch Greg!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Around here it's closer to 5" of annual rainfall. I was just figuring "my luck" factor into it. :D

Good catch Greg!
BBos, where in Arizona do you live?

I grew up in Phoenix, my mother and sister still live outside Prescott. Marc and I ride over a few times a year.

Maybe we could hook up some time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kevin, is there a specific technique? Do I need to lift the tank some?
greg
Called Brie at Lloysz. All you need to do is reach in and pull it out. Very easy. I actually loosened the tank so I could see better, but it was unnecessary.

Thx Kevin for the heads up.

Now gonna take her for a spin:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Per Kevin's information, I pulled the strip this past summer. Pulling back the tank is easy, just two bolts for the seat and two for the tank. Maybe 10 minutes of work.

I got caught in a major down pour that followed me for several hours. The bike ran great and had no problems. Like Kevin said, the strip isnt for weather, its for noise.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Per Kevin's information, I pulled the strip this past summer. Pulling back the tank is easy, just two bolts for the seat and two for the tank. Maybe 10 minutes of work.

I got caught in a major down pour that followed me for several hours. The bike ran great and had no problems. Like Kevin said, the strip isnt for weather, its for noise.
Sweet! Added to my "to do" list of projects.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Few questions for those in the know!

When you say they put the seal on for noise, what do you mean by this?

Will the filter shake or is there a whistle or whine if you pull the seal?

Do you need to re-flash for this?

The last question, does anyone know if the these new 106 run lean?

My dealer modified my stock muffler but did not change the fuel managment? I am just wondering if a re-flash and high flow filter or removing this seal would free up the bike. That said, I am also not wanting to kill my MPG - I ride daily unless the roads are not clear.

Thanks

BSD

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Few questions for those in the know!

When you say they put the seal on for noise, what do you mean by this?

Will the filter shake or is there a whistle or whine if you pull the seal?

Do you need to re-flash for this?

The last question, does anyone know if the these new 106 run lean?

My dealer modified my stock muffler but did not change the fuel managment? I am just wondering if a re-flash and high flow filter or removing this seal would free up the bike. That said, I am also not wanting to kill my MPG - I ride daily unless the roads are not clear.

Thanks

BSD
If you have ever taken the aircleaner out of a older car (with carburators) you know what the intake sound is like under full throttle. I do notice a little more intake noise, (I have the Victory HP aircleaner) but not offensive at all. I wouldn't call this a whistle or whine. Note that of you didn't like it, it would be easy to put back in.

I also have dealer modded mufflers, but I added a PCV with auto tune. I assumed the stock engine was on the lean side, but have not verified that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you have ever taken the aircleaner out of a older car (with carburators) you know what the intake sound is like under full throttle. I do notice a little more intake noise, (I have the Victory HP aircleaner) but not offensive at all. I wouldn't call this a whistle or whine. Note that of you didn't like it, it would be easy to put back in.

I also have dealer modded mufflers, but I added a PCV with auto tune. I assumed the stock engine was on the lean side, but have not verified that.

Ya I have and that explains it pretty well. I am also going to have to look in the PCV.... man I told my wife that I wold not drop a bunch of cash into this bike like I did the Deluxe but you guys are killing me... (or I just have an issue with leaving stuff alone!)

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Ya I have and that explains it pretty well. I am also going to have to look in the PCV.... man I told my wife that I wold not drop a bunch of cash into this bike like I did the Deluxe but you guys are killing me... (or I just have an issue with leaving stuff alone!)
Nothing wrong with improving on an already good machine. Many of us luv doing that. But most of us have to do it a little at a time because our budget mandates it. For those few who have better budgets and can do it quicker; more power to 'em.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nothing wrong with improving on an already good machine. Many of us luv doing that. But most of us have to do it a little at a time because our budget mandates it. For those few who have better budgets and can do it quicker; more power to 'em.

Man not me. You will never hear my say a bad thing about my wife, love her to death! But she is a good Jewish women and she keeps me in line with money! I always tell her that they were not kidding when they say a Jew can rub two pennies together and get a dollar. Her Mom (God rest her) was the same way!! I am the shopper in the family, go figure!!! I would go coocoo but she has us on a budget and retirement plan that I can not argue with!!! cheers

I agree about more power though. Always could find a cosmetic reason to make changes to the HD, but for some reason I look at the CR and there is not much I wanna change. Just the thought of getting more power for so little though when it would cost a small fortune in the HD to upgrade always kept me from it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts