Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take the tank off, 2 screws going in the top of the air box then the top comes off, 1 screw in the front tank bracket then 2 screws coming from the front on the lower half of the air box. Then I pulled the front spark plug out and had to pull one hose out of the way and took it out the left/clutch side of the bike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still looking for info on removing the air box on my 2001 vic .
the info I did received was for a 99 . the 99 in built in sections , where as the 01 is of more of one longer , from the seat to the front frame .
thanks ,
greg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the tank off, 2 screws going in the top of the air box then the top comes off, 1 screw in the front tank bracket then 2 screws coming from the front on the lower half of the air box. Then I pulled the front spark plug out and had to pull one hose out of the way and took it out the left/clutch side of the bike
the 01 is built different .
thanks for the try .
greg :cool::(:confused:..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sooo Pissed Off At This Bike Right Now

Bottom Line - You can't...Victory designed it so you can't!!!

It's an all day job (at a minimum)...I was thwarted at every step yesterday to get it out any other way and gave up...you have to remove the entire Throttle Body assembly and all the **** attached to it and then drop the airbox down to get it out. Because you have to remove so much ****, you also have to order new gaskets, O-Rings and teflon washers...and the potential goes up exponentially that you will break something else while in there because the bikes are so old...

I'll try again when I'm less pissed off and frustrated...I can't understand for the life of me how they design anything that forces you to take the entire bike apart to get to the major wear items...and don't even try and change the fuel filter and fuel pump...OMFG how much of a PITA it is to take out that the SHOCK!

If I had know in advance how impossible this bike is to work on yourself (and I'm a pretty accomplished amateur mechanic) I wouldn't have bought it...but anyway...that's another story...:mad:

Anyway - From the actual repair manual, you have to take the Thottle Body out first and then drop the air box down to get it out...and if it's you're removing it for a TPS change...then you just change it from when you have the throttle body out since you can't get to that with the air box in the way.

1) Remove Seat & Fuel Tank
2) Remove Air Box Cover (5 bolts I think)
3) Remove Intake Tubes & 4 Hex Throttle Body bolts
4) Remove Throttle Body adapter to throttle body bolts and fuel rail mounting bolts
5) Remove fuel rail attachment bolts and fuel return line from fuel rail
6) Remove Throttle and Throttle Return cables
7) Remove Fast Idle Cable and throttle return cables
8) Remove fast idle cable
9) Remove TPS Wiring connector
10) Remove oil cooling delivery tubes from cylinder adaptors. Do not reuse teflon washers or O-rings
11) Remove Throttle Body out the right side

Then you can take out the air box...

Good luck...Until I can dedicate a full day for this stupid simple repair of the TPS and fuel pump, I'll ride my trusty and reliable Kawasaki Vulcan 1500...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bottom Line - You can't...Victory designed it so you can't!!!

It's an all day job (at a minimum)...I was thwarted at every step yesterday to get it out any other way and gave up...you have to remove the entire Throttle Body assembly and all the **** attached to it and then drop the airbox down to get it out. Because you have to remove so much ****, you also have to order new gaskets, O-Rings and teflon washers...and the potential goes up exponentially that you will break something else while in there because the bikes are so old...

I'll try again when I'm less pissed off and frustrated...I can't understand for the life of me how they design anything that forces you to take the entire bike apart to get to the major wear items...and don't even try and change the fuel filter and fuel pump...OMFG how much of a PITA it is to take out that the SHOCK!

If I had know in advance how impossible this bike is to work on yourself (and I'm a pretty accomplished amateur mechanic) I wouldn't have bought it...but anyway...that's another story...:mad:

Anyway - From the actual repair manual, you have to take the Thottle Body out first and then drop the air box down to get it out...and if it's you're removing it for a TPS change...then you just change it from when you have the throttle body out since you can't get to that with the air box in the way.

1) Remove Seat & Fuel Tank
2) Remove Air Box Cover (5 bolts I think)
3) Remove Intake Tubes & 4 Hex Throttle Body bolts
4) Remove Throttle Body adapter to throttle body bolts and fuel rail mounting bolts
5) Remove fuel rail attachment bolts and fuel return line from fuel rail
6) Remove Throttle and Throttle Return cables
7) Remove Fast Idle Cable and throttle return cables
8) Remove fast idle cable
9) Remove TPS Wiring connector
10) Remove oil cooling delivery tubes from cylinder adaptors. Do not reuse teflon washers or O-rings
11) Remove Throttle Body out the right side

Then you can take out the air box...

Good luck...Until I can dedicate a full day for this stupid simple repair of the TPS and fuel pump, I'll ride my trusty and reliable Kawasaki Vulcan 1500...
thanks for the up date . it has really been fun . maybe I will just take
the sawsall, ha,ha.
please kept me updated .
thanks,
greg

·
Registered
34 Posts
After Much Drama...

I've finally got the rear shock out and replaced the fuel filter...here's a side by side pic of the OEM victory part and the Purolator F67221...On to the fuel pump that I'm replacing with a Airtex E2000 from autozone...I'll post side by side pics of that next...then we'll circle back around and attack the TPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Many have cut the air box out and upgraded to a PMRT or S&S intake. Gains you access to the TPS + more power. I think you can also go back and use the earlier 99-2000 air box with the cone style filter.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've finally got the rear shock out and replaced the fuel filter...here's a side by side pic of the OEM victory part and the Purolator F67221...On to the fuel pump that I'm replacing with a Airtex E2000 from autozone...I'll post side by side pics of that next...then we'll circle back around and attack the TPS.

Just got done with that myself. Inlet side fitting may need to be changed out for hose size. Just letting you know. Fitting can be found at Lowes.

2000 V92SC
Middle Tenn
I want my global warming back...

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's in!

Here's the old Walbro pump v. the Autzone Airtex E2000. Only difference is that the inlet fuel line from the tank is a little larger to match the Walbro fitting, so it's a little loose on the new pump, so you have to really crank down on the clamp......but I turned the key and heard the noise of the pump goings so hopefully it will work...

Next up is the TPS install...

I keep updating as we go along...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many have cut the air box out and upgraded to a PMRT or S&S intake. Gains you access to the TPS + more power. I think you can also go back and use the earlier 99-2000 air box with the cone style filter.

what is a pmrt ?
my dermal worked today .
thanks for your in-put .
let me know if you find a 99 air box .
regards ,
greg in san jose

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
air box blews

what is a pmrt ?
my dermal worked today .
thanks for your in-put .
let me know if you find a 99 air box .
regards ,

greg in san jose
wee e bay has vic air boxes .
I bough a pvc rope saw to remove the 2001 and rework the parts left over . I see the back side of box has sensors fitting and fittings , as well 2 pipes I can use 2 can stile air clears like short cones . I cant see spending 500 bucks just on an intake .
wish me luck .

cya
greg

·
Registered
545 Posts
wee e bay has vic air boxes .
I bough a pvc rope saw to remove the 2001 and rework the parts left over . I see the back side of box has sensors fitting and fittings , as well 2 pipes I can use 2 can stile air clears like short cones . I cant see spending 500 bucks just on an intake .
wish me luck .

cya
greg
That's what I did.

2000 V92SC
Middle Tenn
I want my global warming back...

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts