Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2004 vegas Arlen Ness I decided to take a look at the air filter and found that it had been replaced with a k&n filter and cut in half. I have included a couple pics. I was curious if this is a mod that can be done or if the previous owner just thought it would be nice to cut it in half and stuff it in the airbox diagonally.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not a mod and a good way to harm a motor. It's supposed to slide in the groove and seal on all 4 sides. What's left of that filter would let dirt go right on by from what I see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking too. I just wanted to check before I replaced it. The same k&n that he cut up works for the Arlen Ness, correct?
Also, is that piece of foam supposed to be in there?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, same filter. I don't recall a foam piece in my airbox. Will have to take a look. I think I still have it in storage.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. I just wanted to check before I replaced it. The same k&n that he cut up works for the Arlen Ness, correct?
Also, is that piece of foam supposed to be in there?
I have to assume he had problems getting it in. I found that a little grease or oil helps a lot to slide the filter in.As far as the foam goes I never seen it in mine. Sounds like the guy was a butcher.
I would think the filter would be the same for the Ness. I doubt they would make a special air box for the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is my air filter breather. I looked at pictures and I couldn't find and biked that have this. I'm guessing it's not stock? Should I get the stock cover for it or leave it as is and just order a new filter?

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have never seen that setup before. It definitely isn't stock & have no idea how that setup works. I probably have a stock cover you could have, if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to investigate a little and see if I can find a fuel controller. If I don't find anything, then I may take you up on the airbox if you find it as I'm sure my bike is running lean with the half a** filter just laying in the airbox.
I would love to add more power but definitely don't have the funds to buy a fuel controller, aftermarket air intake or new exhaust at the moment. Since the previous owner said it was all stock, I imagine he never cleaned the air filter, or checked for any performance parts and obviously never changed the plugs as they looked to have a lot of miles on them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a look and there is no fuel controller that I could find. I want to see if the baffles have been removed in the exhaust but It is the down swept pipes and I couldn't see anything. I have added a pic of the new plugs that I put in and it definitely looks to be running lean to me.

Attachments

·
13,003 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I should order a new air filter to replace the cut in half one that is in there, correct? I will also order a set of plug wires.
I put the bike on a lift and saw that it does have baffles in it but they don't look like most baffles I have seen. They look to be just a cone with holes. I will post a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
A new K&N will not fit with that cover. OE is raised to fit around the filter. That would explain the cut down filter. Still not sure how that setup is supposed to seal around the filter? I am guessing that filter/cover set up is part of a lean condition you are seeing with your plugs. I did look and have a stock cover. The baffles are the same as what my swept pipes had on my 03 Vegas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will buy your stock filter cover then as I need to get rid of this setup of find a filter that fits.

Would it be worth getting different baffles to try and get a little better sound from my bike?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can have the cover. Just shoot my your address and I will send it your way. I have no idea if they make a different baffle for those pipes?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts