Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, been looking for a decent horn to replace the stock squeaker on my Vegas. Found this horn..looks like a real head turner...and at a decent price (about $40)! Here's the write up...

Dual-tone air horn from Stebel of Italy available in Black or Chrome. Loud enough to convince other drivers that there's a derailed freight train barreling down on them. Don't press the horn button in the garage, it hurts! At 139dB it can be heard for almost 3 city blocks! YEEEOOOWWW!
Includes a single M8 mounting bolt and nut, as well as a relay for providing a direct, high current attachment to the motorcycle's battery.
No wires, fuses, or bike-specific mounting brackets are included.

Keep this in mind: sound energy doubles for every 3 points you go up in the decibel scale. It means that the Stebel Nautilus horn, which produces 139 dB of sound, puts out a LOT more sound than these popular horns:
800% of the sound energy of the more expensive 130dB FIAMM Freeway Blaster
600% louder than the 130 dB Pro Pad Mini Beast horn
650% louder than the 128dB Rivco dual trumpet horn

You will not be dissapointed - just make sure you wire the included relay properly, as replacement horns used without a relay don't get enough electrical current to be fully effective.

Here's the URL link - also has a cool vid of the horn... www.aviciouscycle.ca

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Actually its plug and play at least on my 06 Jackpot. I had one and all I did was remove the stock horn and extend the wires and put it in the California Emission Canister cover. When I go my air ride I sold it and went back to a wimpy horn. The air ride compressor now resides there.

That Stebel horn is LOUD. I've been on the highway doing 70mph and people hear it!!

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Damn it Diamond!!!

Don't take this the wrong way but every time I see your bike I get some chub action goin' on. It ain't about you though. It's about your sweet JP. You set it up pretty much how I had planned on doing to my salt and pepper JP.

Sure wish I was as wealthy as some around here and could have done both. Now that would have been fantastic, eh!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Stebel

This horn is made under several brand names. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for 1/2 what they are asking for the Stebel horn. Also, some auto parts stores are now carrying this horn.

It is a nice horn and loud.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Damn it Diamond!!!

Don't take this the wrong way but every time I see your bike I get some chub action goin' on. It ain't about you though. It's about your sweet JP. You set it up pretty much how I had planned on doing to my salt and pepper JP.

Sure wish I was as wealthy as some around here and could have done both. Now that would have been fantastic, eh!!!
LOL..thanks! I think? :ltr::ltr::ltr:

Yeah luckily when I was doing the expensive stuff to Porti I had a very good paying job AND was partially sponsored by a dealership. Since then I have become a victim of the economy and live on UI.:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This horn is made under several brand names. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for 1/2 what they are asking for the Stebel horn. Also, some auto parts stores are now carrying this horn.

It is a nice horn and loud.
Thanks! I'll check that out!

And, yep, Diamond, that is a fantastic looking bike...you should be proud!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice bike....squerrels must be a hazard for you though with that amount of clearance

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
LOL...yeah I was chatting it up with some friends once and didn't raise her up when we took off. No problem going straight although I thought it felt a little hard on my bum. Then I went into a left hand sweeper and tore a hole in the tool roll and scraped the frame! LOL

The sweet thing about the Kewlmetal airride is I just hit the switch while riding and raised her up!thumb up

Here is a video of when my ex business partner first installed her.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
So, been looking for a decent horn to replace the stock squeaker on my Vegas. Found this horn..looks like a real head turner...and at a decent price (about $40)! Here's the write up...

Dual-tone air horn from Stebel of Italy available in Black or Chrome. Loud enough to convince other drivers that there's a derailed freight train barreling down on them. Don't press the horn button in the garage, it hurts! At 139dB it can be heard for almost 3 city blocks! YEEEOOOWWW!
Includes a single M8 mounting bolt and nut, as well as a relay for providing a direct, high current attachment to the motorcycle's battery.
No wires, fuses, or bike-specific mounting brackets are included.

Keep this in mind: sound energy doubles for every 3 points you go up in the decibel scale. It means that the Stebel Nautilus horn, which produces 139 dB of sound, puts out a LOT more sound than these popular horns:
800% of the sound energy of the more expensive 130dB FIAMM Freeway Blaster
600% louder than the 130 dB Pro Pad Mini Beast horn
650% louder than the 128dB Rivco dual trumpet horn

You will not be dissapointed - just make sure you wire the included relay properly, as replacement horns used without a relay don't get enough electrical current to be fully effective.

Here's the URL link - also has a cool vid of the horn... www.aviciouscycle.ca
I use twin Stebels and they work well. Loud and a bit irritating. Always work when called upon.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Has anybody installed a Stebel on a Cross bike? Or at least, has anyone located where the stock horn is hidden?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Istayner, what was info on it in Harbor Freight's catalog?

Also, does it require a relay for installation?

And has anyone installed one of these on an XC?

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Istayner, what was info on it in Harbor Freight's catalog?
Yeah, I went and looked at Harbor Freight, but their price is $37.99 for a look-alike. It's not just re-branded, but only 118dB (http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html).

Meanwhile, you can save yourself a whole dollar, and buy the real deal. Amazon has the Stebel Nautilus, which is rated at 139dB (
http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Compact-Air-Horn-Packaged/dp/B000NPRTII/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_c).

The only questions left are: where's the horn on the cross bikes? And what's a good spot to install the Stebel? At under $40 this is not a bad investment, especially if it ends up saving your life sometime in the future.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fitment on a Vegas

Hmm, so I was also looking at where I would fit my horn (as I packed my bike away for the winter today). I was looking at drilling a 5/16 hole in the flange that holds the steering lock hole (on the steering head / frame, not the triple tree).

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Hmm, so I was also looking at where I would fit my horn (as I packed my bike away for the winter today). I was looking at drilling a 5/16 hole in the flange that holds the steering lock hole (on the steering head / frame, not the triple tree).

Any thoughts?
I'd like to hide mine somewhere - nothing against the looks of the horn, but I want to follow Victory's idea of keeping the horn hidden. :D

Why can't I find where they hid the stock one? I could put plugs in my ear, and start honking in the garage, and try to find where the sound is coming from, but that's not a very elegant way to work on your bike. Someone please help finding the stock horn! :)

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
It's located on the left side behind the chin cover on mine. Just about even with the exhaust. Very easy to miss as it is just a small black unit. I'm gonna put the Flamm low note horn in there just like I did for the JP. Same horn in fact. I swapped it back out before trading it in.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
It's located on the left side behind the chin cover on mine. Just about even with the exhaust. Very easy to miss as it is just a small black unit. I'm gonna put the Flamm low note horn in there just like I did for the JP. Same horn in fact. I swapped it back out before trading it in.
Awesome job, BBob! Thanks for sharing the secret location of that naughty horn. Now the stock horn stands no chance :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts