1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wondering if anyone has had luck with a motorcycle airhorn. The Stebel caught my eye: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

They have instructions on a Vegas, although they note that it's not a good fit since 2008:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/362/1/5/

The horn is a safety feature and the louder the better on a motorcycle. Appreciate any advice. I know a lot of horns out there do not match up to the manufacturer's decibel rating.
I have cursed that SOB ever since I got it.....I put it on and it sounds like a ruptured duck...so I changed the relay and still.....#*%%#!* so then I put bigger wires on it and guess what....??? Yup...still the #@!**&! won't work.......:ltr:

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Mine works as advertised and it's very loud. ;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Have had one on my wife's Vulcan 900 for about 8000 miles and it's been trouble free. Haven't gotten around to putting it on my XR yet, but it's on the soon-to-do-list.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I have cursed that SOB ever since I got it.....I put it on and it sounds like a ruptured duck...so I changed the relay and still.....#*%%#!* so then I put bigger wires on it and guess what....??? Yup...still the #@!**&! won't work.......:ltr:
Have you tested it off the bike? Just hooking up the relay and power and giving it a go? You might have a bad horn - who knows, moisture got in or got dropped (not blaming you, someone else could have before you even got it).

Here's what mine sounds like: http://youtu.be/XAXojF445uE

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine works as advertised and it's very loud. ;)
How hard was it to install? The link I posted suggests that it wont mount in the original horn location. Did you need to adjust the electronics at all, or was it a plug and play install using the existing wiring and fuse?

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
How hard was it to install? The link I posted suggests that it wont mount in the original horn location. Did you need to adjust the electronics at all, or was it a plug and play install using the existing wiring and fuse?
It's not difficult at all. If you can run a few wires, and cut them and crimp connectors at their end, this will be nothing more than child's play. I've complicated my install a bit by hiding the Stebel under my rear fender, so I ended up spending a bit more time fabricating a bracket to hold the horn where nobody can ever see it. But the wiring part will not take you more than 15 minutes, or maybe 1 hour if you're really slow and working with wires for the 1st time.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Was the first thing I did to my bike. I used the exhaust manifold bolt and a piece of strap metal from Ace Hardware. It works great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Paul: I don't have the Stebel air horn on my bike, but I seem to remember reading that polarity matters with the Stebel when you install. It's possible you need to switch the positive & negative leads going to your horn...

Just a thought...hope I'm remembering what I read before correctly...

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts