Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to work yesterday morning traveling East on the Boll Weevil Circle (Gotta love you're main road being named after a bug) in the left lane. I was in the proccess of passing a F-350 when I notice the driver has a phone to his ear. I actually backed of just as he started to come over on me, forcing me toward the left edge of the road. I Pressed the horn button and he literally jumped back in his lane. I think (OK, hope) he pissed his pants. He was waiving and obviously very sorry for the infraction. Maybe he'll remember to actually drive when he's behind the wheel of a vehicle from now on. The WOLO Bad Boy horn is extremely loud and I'm glad I installed it in the fairing of my XC.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
For the same reason, I installed that same horn in my car and service truck. Is talking on a hand held phone while driving still legal there?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talking is still legal. We recently got legislation against texting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quick question on the install. did you use the wires for the stock horn or run bigger wires to the battery with a relay?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Has anyone done a step by step how to install on these? I am very mechanical yet highly electricaly challenged. The only thing keeping me from installing one of these is that I don't know how....LOL

·
Registered
257 Posts
Install

Has anyone done a step by step how to install on these? I am very mechanical yet highly electricaly challenged. The only thing keeping me from installing one of these is that I don't know how....LOL
You need to run a fused wire from the battery to a relay and horn. You can use the stock horn switch wires to connect to the relay. The biggest issue you should have is where to mount the horn. DO not mount it above your front fender. I had 2 friends mount it there and it dented the front fender on a pot hole. cheers

·
13,263 Posts
Here is a how to. Not our bike but you het the idea

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I thought about the WOLO air horn early on as a very important safety mod, but I didn't follow through. With Creek_IP's thread describing how well it worked to keep him upright is what I needed to follow through and get this horn purchased and installed.

Thanks, Brother! cheers

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quick question on the install. did you use the wires for the stock horn or run bigger wires to the battery with a relay?
I had one on my XR. I used the relay, a plug n play relay harness and the two wires from the stock horn.?..and a fused line from the battery...20 amps I think...
Mine was mounted under the driver side hard bag because of the lack of the fairing.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Any pictures of your install, where you located it in the fairing, etc.? Thanks
Sorry, I didn't take pics of the install. I mounted the relay on the tab where the factory horn was and attached the original horn wires to the relay. I ran a 20 amp fused hot wire right off the battery to the relay. I ran my switched wire from the relay and a ground up the wire bundle and into the fairing to the horn. For mounting the horn, I attached a piece of flat aluminum bar stock to the right side of the stereo. (As you stand in front of the bike looking into the open fairing) There's a lot of room in the fairing and you can move wire bundles around some. As you do that, you'll end up with a lose wire that has a tab with a hole in it hanging around. Don't worry, it's the temperature sensor, you didn't break anything.

The instruction sheet has 3 install methods listed. Use the one for motorcycles and USE the RELAY. The existing circuit/switch is not rated for an air horn. The relay takes the load off of the factory switch. Use 14 gauge wire as a minimum for 20 amp circuit. Bigger is okay to a degree but don't go smaller, as the wire will get too hot before the fuse blows if the circuit does have a problem.

One last thing: The torque value for the fairing screws is 36 inch lbs. That is not a lot of pressure. You could easily over-tighten the fasteners and end up with rattles and broken plastic pieces. I use torque wrenches and recommend everyone does. I'm not a professional wrench and can't gauge torque like some people say they can. I'm not saying you can't, I CAN'T.

edit: One more last thing: you can get in-line fuses that are weather resistant. That's what I used and recommend if it's between the battery and relay like mine is. Seal all your connections with heat-shrink tubing. It's at auto parts stores and is cheap insurance. Harbor Freight has in longer rolls and more sizes for less money than the auto part stores.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Was just about to push the button on the Stebel Nautilus and this thread came up... (yea I was procrastinaging too) Anyone have a comparison of the WOLO to the Stebel??? Other than 20 bucks cheaper I mean..lol...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

wac

·
Registered
530 Posts
Was just about to push the button on the Stebel Nautilus and this thread came up... (yea I was procrastinaging too) Anyone have a comparison of the WOLO to the Stebel??? Other than 20 bucks cheaper I mean..lol...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

wac
Sorry no comparison but I have the Stebel Nautilus and am very happy with it as it is extremely loud @ 139db and sounds great with its twin tones and horns.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
My wife's bike has a Stebel and mine had the Wolo..... To my ear, they sound the same in tone and volume......if that is any help....
Stebel or WOLO are one in the same. Just different packaging.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks... Got a HF here local and think I will give it a shot... 20 bucks to put towards... Well, other things for the bike... hehe thumb up

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I talked with AeroStitch today who sells the Ear Cannon Air Horn. They said they haven't had them in stock for a few months because the manufacturer went bankrupt but they have been bought and they expect to be shipping soon.

·
Registered
530 Posts
"
MODEL 419 BAD BOY
DUAL TONE AIR HORN
118 Decibels-530/680 Hz "

Not sure about that, Wolo Bad boy states 118db and Stebel states 139db; perceived loudness is twice as loud for every 3db increase according to some liturature.

The difference is 21 and 21/3 = Stebel is a perceived 7 times louder horn.

Not really sure if it would be that much of a difference but 139db compared to 118db is a major difference when it comes to an increase of perceived sound.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Six shooter has a point about the 21db variance which got me to thinking about point of measurement and frequency of both horns. More research now needed and we aint got crap to do at work tonight… hehehe

First, lets hear the contenders:
WoLo 419/519 http://www.wolo-mfg.com/419-519-stereo.wav

Stebel Nautilus http://www.stebel.it/stebel2012/products.asp?IDserie=14&uso=1&IDprodotto=53&tipologia=moto

THE WOLO 419 (black) or 519 (chrome) are both dual tone 530/680Hz rated at 118Db but does not state it can be separated horn from pump as the Stebel. This may be an oversite on WoLo documentation as WoLo has also come out with model 619 which claims 123.5 db the 320hz that does NOT use air tubing. So I am lead to believe 419/519 does and therefore can be separated the same as Stebel. Keep in mind that lower can also be perceived as louder but the higher is to cut through low end noise. Also it does not appear to be dual tone. Unfortunately, the sound clip for the 619 did not work and I emailed WoLo. Food for thought at a 69.99 purchase price. I didn’t shop around for the 619 model either.

Stebel also has black/chrome with their frequency matching at 530 Hz & 680 Hz

The comparison of WoLo 118db (39.99) Vs Stebel Nautilus 139db (55.99)
What I am unable to find is the exact distance the metering was done at. This is critical in the comparison because I DID find on Stebel’s website that the Nautilus has TWO ratings because it was measured at two distances and this is taken from STEBELs website: High and Low tone harmonized sound. -115 dB/139 dB (at 2 meters/at 4 inches from the source).
The problem were going to run into for comparison is not knowing the distance WoLo was measured and If in fact 2 meters (6 feet) is a standard distance to rate horns. So, Stebel can advertise 139db but it is at 4 inches from the horn not 2 meters. This leaves Stebel at 115db to compare to WoLo 118db but we don’t know at what distance WoLo is being measured and can only hope it is 2m not 4 inches...

Electrical connections
Both have good instructions it appears using a twin wire relay to trigger the direct line from the battery with an inline fuse. WoLo calls for adding an inline 20amp fuse using 16ga wire from battery to horn and then to ground with Stebel asking for 14/16ga with a 30amp inline. I couldn’t find the manufactures tech sheet to validate this for the Stebel but attached WoLos.

WOLO installation http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/94000-94999/94117.pdf

Testing and reliability for the price

Wolo.. Could not find any performance testing or reliability testing other than claim of years of service and MFGR 90 warranty. Appears to be manufactured in USA (New York, may be a problem for Texas riders)

Stebel site states designed and tested for medium to larger motorcycles. Testing included 400hrs of salt fog, temperatures -30 to +80 centigrade and to pass a test of at least 50,000 on/off cycles. It has a 6 month mfgr warranty. Manufactured in Italy.
So, this could be a get what you paid for as what is not said sometimes says more than what is said. I will leave that one to you to judge.

Link to WoLo http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Link to Stebel http://www.stebel.it/stebel2012/products.asp?IDserie=14&uso=1&IDprodotto=53&tipologia=moto

This concludes my research and review. Im now leaning towards Stebel because their website is more impressive and should be for the extra 16 bucks.. lol… Actually, it’s the testing that did it and the fact they address weather testing and corrosion. My mounting point on the TC is near the rear tire…

1 - 20 of 23 Posts