Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the filter is under the gas tank, but where does it get the air from? I've seen a video of replacing the filter and seen a large gap to the front of the frame but couldn't find a gap to let the air in.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
From under the tank. There's sufficient space for adequate air flow. Buy one of my wonderful laydown license brackets and you'll think your bike is supercharged.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From under the tank. There's sufficient space for adequate air flow. Buy one of my wonderful laydown license brackets and you'll think your bike is supercharged.
But how does the air flow get to the filter? Sorry if the question seems dumb but it looks like the rubber around the factory filter is preventing any air between the tank and frame

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
It comes in from behind the rubber thing. Some of us with aftermarket air filters have removed the rubber piece altogether.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Buy one of my wonderful laydown license brackets and you'll think your bike is supercharged.
I've heard from unreliable sources that your gas mileage will also double. :D

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
But how does the air flow get to the filter? Sorry if the question seems dumb but it looks like the rubber around the factory filter is preventing any air between the tank and frame
It comes in from all around the filter under the tank but I think a large percentage of the air flows in from under the front of the gas tank.

Is that what you were asking?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It comes in from all around the filter under the tank but I think a large percentage of the air flows in from under the front of the gas tank.

Is that what you were asking?
Yes that answers it. I just didn't think any air could get past that rubber thingy so I wasnt sure if it came through the frame or something

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
The rubber thingy is for water diversion.

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Gotcha. I'll probably wait till I get a new intake to remove that
You only get 10" of rain a year on average. Unless you find yourself riding in the rain a lot; I wouldn't even worry about it. It's not likely the rain is going to get in there with the fairing in the way anyway.

You can gain 8 hp by removing that rubber gasket and unplugging the O2 sensors on a bone stock bike. By unplugging the sensors the ECM goes into a default mode that richens the AFR a bit to be on the safe side. It doesn't know they were unplugged. All it knows is it's not getting a signal from them.

Obviously this is a temporary measure until a tune can be installed and/or other performance parts like cams, air filter, and freer flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You only get 10" of rain a year on average. Unless you find yourself riding in the rain a lot; I wouldn't even worry about it. It's not likely the rain is going to get in there with the fairing in the way anyway.

You can gain 8 hp by removing that rubber gasket and unplugging the O2 sensors on a bone stock bike. By unplugging the sensors the ECM goes into a default mode that richens the AFR a bit to be on the safe side. It doesn't know they were unplugged. All it knows is it's not getting a signal from them.

Obviously this is a temporary measure until a tune can be installed and/or other performance parts like cams, air filter, and freer flowing exhaust.
Well here comes an age old question...
I bought the bike used and the previous owner had the trioval exhaust installed at the dealer before he ever rode it away.

Would a tune have been done by the dealer or should I even worry about that until I get a Lloyd's air filter?

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Well here comes an age old question...
I bought the bike used and the previous owner had the trioval exhaust installed at the dealer before he ever rode it away.

Would a tune have been done by the dealer or should I even worry about that until I get a Lloyd's air filter?
The Tri-Oval's come with a tune and a freer flowing air filter. The tune is what Victory/Polaris calls a stage one. Chances are very good they installed the tune along with the air filter.

What are your plans for a tune or is there any? Do you plan on installing cams?

If you plan on installing cams, a tune, and a Lloydz air filter then you will want to do that all at one time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
[
The Tri-Oval's come with a tune and a freer flowing air filter. The tune is what Victory/Polaris calls a stage one. Chances are very good they installed the tune along with the air filter.

What are your plans for a tune or is there any? Do you plan on installing cams?

If you plan on installing cams, a tune, and a Lloydz air filter then you will want to do that all at one time.
I do plan on installing cams down the road and I figured I would do the intake at the same time so I would only have to get it tuned once. Would removing that rubber piece now effect the tune that Is on it?

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
I do plan on installing cams down the road and I figured I would do the intake at the same time so I would only have to get it tuned once. Would removing that rubber piece now effect the tune that Is on it?
Probably not. Can you see if the O2 sensors have been disconnected. You don't have to unplug them but if you pull the rubber gasket and find it pings or runs hot; you may want to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably not. Can you see if the O2 sensors have been disconnected. You don't have to unplug them but if you pull the rubber gasket and find it pings or runs hot; you may want to.
Im pretty sure they are still connected. There is some white connector disconnected though. Im the middle of the picture. O2 sensor is the long black 1 to the right of it correct?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts

Get Quite a bit of Rain in North Florida and had no problems with the Rubber Removed for 80,000 Miles ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts