Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering, will setting the air at 0 in the rear suspension lower the bike?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
That is a good question. Put her to the test. thumb up

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes... When I took delivery on mine it had 0 # in the shock. I could see the bike "rise up" when I put 40 # in it. Don't know what that equates to in inches. Maybe two?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The ride is a whole lot more comfy with the correct air pressure in the shock. I just did a 2500 mile road trip, two up with about 75lbs worth of kit in the trunk/bags. Used the recommended setting and even did some twisty roads, no issues. And best of all, no complaints from the back seat. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
The ride is a whole lot more comfy with the correct air pressure in the shock. I just did a 2500 mile road trip, two up with about 75lbs worth of kit in the trunk/bags. Used the recommended setting and even did some twisty roads, no issues. And best of all, no complaints from the back seat. :D
The "correct" amount of air in the shock is ZERO if you are < a certain weight with your load.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The "correct" amount of air in the shock is ZERO if you are < a certain weight with your load.
That is correct. Based on my weight I need 0 psi in mine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!
I'm not sure what my pressure is but I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
161 Posts
According to Victory recommendations, I should use 0 psi. in my bike as well. I ride with 5 lb. in the shock for a more firmer-sport oriented ride. I find this works best for me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had 0 in the shock and all was well solo riding - took a trip with the wife and both saddle bags full and a cooler with 20 cans of cool bev on the rear rack - I was bottoming out on dips - I put in around 65lbs and the ride was perfect soft enough with the load and no bottoming out.
I have left the air at that level even now on solo rides and like it - kind of stiff but handles well....

And yes adding air does raise the bike - prob. around 2-3 inches cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
I Have !

Has anyone put on an electric pump so all you have to do is hit a button and the air is added???
Built my own system, it's awesome ! I even put a pressure gauge on the dash, so I can monitor my pressure. Used a pump , along with a special electric bleed off valve, from Ebay. Fittings and lines from a local supply house. The hardest thing to find is the adaptor to the Schrader valve, but the supply house had that too. Whatever you do, don't buy HMDs system, it's both incomplete, and without directions, no support, and no returns.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had 10psi in mine when I bought it. I wondered too about lowering it if I took the air out, and sure enough it did lower it about 1/2 an inch. For my weight, I don't need any air...just have to add some when the wife rides with.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Built my own system, it's awesome ! I even put a pressure gauge on the dash, so I can monitor my pressure. Used a pump , along with a special electric bleed off valve, from Ebay. Fittings and lines from a local supply house. The hardest thing to find is the adaptor to the Schrader valve, but the supply house had that too. Whatever you do, don't buy HMDs system, it's both incomplete, and without directions, no support, and no returns.
HogNot: there's a guy on the other forum who just asked for suggestions for such an electrical system. I don't know whether you're a member of the other forum, but if you want to take a look, see http://www.the-v-o-g.net/threads/cc-tour-air-compressor-for-shock-ideas-welcome.53823/ (take out the dashes in "the-v-o-g" and then paste it in -- you have to play these games here, because this board won't let you type that board's name).

And I'm interested, too. I relocated an added Schrader valve over the past winter -- see http://www.billanddot.com/shock-valve-relocation.html , if interested -- but I was thinking about doing something like you did (and gave up). You have any pics, parts lists, etc., regarding your mod that you wouldn't mind sharing?

·
Registered
426 Posts
sub'd, i want in on the air ride too :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
HogNot: there's a guy on the other forum who just asked for suggestions for such an electrical system. I don't know whether you're a member of the other forum, but if you want to take a look, see http://www.the-v-o-g.net/threads/cc-tour-air-compressor-for-shock-ideas-welcome.53823/ (take out the dashes in "the-v-o-g" and then paste it in -- you have to play these games here, because this board won't let you type that board's name).

And I'm interested, too. I relocated an added Schrader valve over the past winter -- see http://www.billanddot.com/shock-valve-relocation.html , if interested -- but I was thinking about doing something like you did (and gave up). You have any pics, parts lists, etc., regarding your mod that you wouldn't mind sharing?[/QUOTE

Hi Bill, I'm at work, so I can't play on here too long, but you can find everything on Ebay. I have more pics at home but here are a few of the compressor I used. I have all of the plumbing shots in my laptop at home. I could put a kit together, and actually am thinking about doing that. I'd have to make the mounts for the compressor, and a switch holder bracket. The rest are purchased parts. I can write a concise set of directions if I decide to come out with the kit. I have all of the pictures taken. This is where the other vendor falls very short on his so called "KIT". No pics, no wiring diagram, no brackets, no electric bleed off to lower pressure, no gauge. I ca supply all of that, but I need to come up with a price.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

And I'm interested, too. I relocated an added Schrader valve over the past winter -- see http://www.billanddot.com/shock-valve-relocation.html , if interested -- but I was thinking about doing something like you did (and gave up). You have any pics, parts lists, etc., regarding your mod that you wouldn't mind sharing?[/QUOTE

Hi Bill, I'm at work, so I can't play on here too long, but you can find everything on Ebay. I have more pics at home but here are a few of the compressor I used. I have all of the plumbing shots in my laptop at home. I could put a kit together, and actually am thinking about doing that. I'd have to make the mounts for the compressor, and a switch holder bracket. The rest are purchased parts. I can write a concise set of directions if I decide to come out with the kit. I have all of the pictures taken. This is where the other vendor falls very short on his so called "KIT". No pics, no wiring diagram, no brackets, no electric bleed off to lower pressure, no gauge. I ca supply all of that, but I need to come up with a price.
Very impressive!

I didn't realize there was that much room under the fender (which is what you showing back there, right?). And you mentioned earlier that you had a gauge in the dash. That was what I wanted to -- in my mind, when I was considering this -- but I gather that this would require some tubing that would be moving when you turn the handlebars, and I didn't think I was competent to deal with that (since I'm more of an electrical guy).

It would be interesting if you could come up with a kit, and with instructions. I think you'd find some buyers, if you were able to price it reasonably while still giving you enough profit to compensate for the time you'd spend getting the pieces grouped, along with some money invested in some amount of inventory. Difficult process, I imagine, as I've never been in business (for myself or others).

Oh, yeah, almost forgot: I'm really surprised that one of the kits (and I think I know which one you're talking about) doesn't offer a bleed-down function.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes Bill, there is a ton of room under the fender, I think you could still fit a small amp in there as well. The tubing flexes fine in a nice big U inside the fairing for the gauge. Here are some more pics. The first pic shows the only odd part to find, lower center of pic, the adaptor that threads into the Schrader valve, (after your remove the valve stem), to adapt the fitting for the tubing.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oh, yeah, almost forgot: I'm really surprised that one of the kits (and I think I know which one you're talking about) doesn't offer a bleed-down function.
It includes one Bill, its a manual one requiring another mount for it somewhere, and it didn't hold the air pressure at all, and it's an inelegant, (read stupid) way to do it. Here is a pic of the entire $300.00 "KIT" that was sent. It's a joke, no wiring, no tubing, half the fittings needed, and an air compressor that's on Ebay for 100 bucks. The manual valve is on the white envelope, left side, above the solenoid.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts