Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is this air strip everyone is removing ? Does the 2012 Hammer have it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Plastic strip in airfilter area

That's only a "feature" of the Cross bikes. The Hammer is good to go.
I need to install my victory hi performance air filter. the bike is about 2 months old so i've never pulled the tank.

Where is this "plastic strip" located? what does it look like? is it only glued to the bike? A picture would be nic
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Where is this "plastic strip" located? what does it look like?
It is under the fuel tank in the front. You can see there is a space there between the tank and the frame. You need to loosen the tank so you can lift it a bit. The insulative strip has a slit that allows it to straddle the frame with the weight of the tank holding it down. With the tank lifted you can pluck it right off.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I need to install my victory hi performance air filter. the bike is about 2 months old so i've never pulled the tank.

Where is this "plastic strip" located? what does it look like? is it only glued to the bike? A picture would be nic
Thanks
I can't find it now, but about two weeks ago someone posted a decent video...I think from Witchdoctor (maybe CycleOps) that showed exactly how to do this. Step by step process. Find that video and you're golden.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
posted in the cross bike forums. go back a week or so.

wow- i actually made it work! a first for me

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a new XC owner and auto tech for 30 yrs I really appreciate your very thorough and informative video as I am sure alot of other folks do. Irv Thank you very much. Stevecheers

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
we should thank witchdoctors. he has made a bunch of info
videos to help us. thanks jon!:)

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I just used this video to remove the air strip. Step by step made it very easy.

Thanks Witchdoctor.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Where is this air strip everyone is removing ? Does the 2012 Hammer have it?
You don't have one. They only came on the "old man" bikes ;) :ltr:

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
So, here is a question from someone who has one of those
"old man" bikes ;)
Is there a chance that rain running off the tank can get sucked in?

[EDIT] Oof, I just realized this thread is months old lol

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I suppose there is a chance but not to likely. There is still kinda a lip if you just pull the strip. If you put the lloyds filter in it eliminates the whole thing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I suppose there is a chance but not to likely. There is still kinda a lip if you just pull the strip. If you put the lloyds filter in it eliminates the whole thing.
Maybe less likely than winning the lottery. If Lloydz designed it, you can trust it. thumb up And if one can trust the lip-less design of Lloydz air filter, then surely one could trust the simple removal of the foam strip as well.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I've been in some pretty heavy storms after remvoing mine and not had a problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for. I may have to give it a try before I head up to Americade...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for. I may have to give it a try before I head up to Americade...
Don't forget it may make a stock bike that is aready lean from the factory a tad leaner since you're introducing more air flow, however I'm not really sure if it would be considered enough to hurt anything.

Others, please chime in on this as I would like to do this myself if this would'nt cause any damage due to running a stock bike a tad leaner.

Anyone?

HC?

·
Registered
67 Posts
More air in, more air out, you should run something else other than stock exhaust

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts