Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put these on my 2010 XC after Bikertoberfest last fall. A couple weeks ago I noticed that where the wires exit the bags thru the bag weather stripping, that the wires were getting worn thru where the bag lid closes on them. On the outer edge as they turn to run down the backside of the saddle bags . I have temporarily put some Gorrilla tape over them for now. A friend just put the lights on his 2014 XC and has maybe put 3000 miles on it since and his were worn thru the wire insulation on the left bag.(copper wire showing), and the right bag was almost there.
What I plan on doing is getting 2 small rubber grommets. Cut the wire where it is worn, drill for the grommets at rear/inside bag area , run the wire thru the bag/grommet , make new connections(splice, solder, use wire shrink wrap, etc.) Then a dab of silicone to seal the wire in the grommet. That will place the lead from the Sabertooth pigtail lower and avoid the area that the saddle bag lid is rubbing. Suggest everyone check theirs or keep an eye on that wear point.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Funny you bring this up...i noticed same issue on mine as well. Good idea you have to remedy prob. thumb up

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow just checked mine and its doing it too!
I also put Gorrilla tape over it for now.
thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...cheers

I'm waiting for mine(backordered)...:mad:

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Ges I'm guna have to check mine......:(

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just trying to help...
I know.
I just wanted to make sure everyone knew where to check.

What I did was I got out the dremel and made a trough at that point and laid the wire in there. Then I cover it with Gorrilla tape.
I just made the trough deep enough so the lid will not touch the wire (1/4" roughly deep) so as to not give rain water a place to get in.
I think all will be fine now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know.
I just wanted to make sure everyone knew where to check.

What I did was I got out the dremel and made a trough at that point and laid the wire in there. Then I cover it with Gorrilla tape.
I just made the trough deep enough so the lid will not touch the wire (1/4" roughly deep) so as to not give rain water a place to get in.
I think all will be fine now.
That's the same thing I did. Mine were shorting out on a long road trip last September. I had to run into a store, buy some wire to splice in, tape it up, then I used a cordless drill to make a valley in the bag and run the wire down. Covered it up with tape and rode on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts