Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this in my e-mail
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V457000 http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V457&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

Report Date : September 25, 2012 at 09:21 AM

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 12V457000

New Search

Print Version

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): VICTORY / BOARDWALK 2013 VICTORY / CROSS COUNTRY 2012-2013 VICTORY / CROSS ROADS 2012-2013 VICTORY / HAMMER 2012-2013 VICTORY / HARD-BALL 2012-2013 VICTORY / HIGH-BALL 2012-2013 VICTORY / JACKPOT 2012-2013 VICTORY / JUDGE 2012-2013 VICTORY / KINGPIN 2012 VICTORY / VEGAS 2012-2013 VICTORY / VISION 2012-2013 Manufacturer: POLARIS INDUSTRIES, INC. Mfr's Report Date: SEP 17, 2012 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V457000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,618

Summary: Polaris is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Victory motorcycles manufactured from January 3, 2012, through August 15, 2012. A torqueing procedure may have been missed on some throttle cable retention nuts. On certain motorcycles, the throttle cable retention nuts for either the pull or push throttle cable may have not been torqued correctly.

Consequence: If the torqueing is missed and the retention nuts are loose, the retention nuts closest to the throttle body can become dislodged and interfere with the throttle function, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy: Victory will notify owners and dealers will correctly torque the fasteners free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on October 12, 2012. Owners may contact Victory consumer service department by calling 1-888-704-5290.

Notes: Polaris' recall number is V-12-01. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I called the 800 number and checked both of mine, they're both in the clear. thumb up

·
Registered
938 Posts
Was told thursday to bring mine in when I get a chance

·
Registered
82 Posts
Could someone describe to me where these fasteners are so I could check Em myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I got a letter telling my my Pin is one of the bikes on recall. The letter described the throttle cable retention nut not being tightened to the "proper specifications". It says not to tighten this nut on your own (because they are required to tell you that) but then on the back they show you a picture of where this is located on your bike and then a close up of the nut that may not be tight. ( but don't do this yourself lol ). It's just a nut folks, on the right side of the bike, pull the cheese wedge off and just below the tank is your throttle cables. It's right there, easily accessible. Take a 10mm wrench and make sure it's tight. Put the cheese wedge back on and that's it. Mine wasn't loose but I wouldn't say it was tight either. I gave it a quarter turn or so. To take time out of my day and drive 45 minutes to the dealer, wait...wait...wait some more, then drive 45 minutes back home JUST to tighten a nut? That's insanity

·
13,247 Posts
The money that was spent on your 500 mile check should be given back to you I think.
Wasn't the dealer supose to check all the fitting and more.:mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Special torque wrench adapter, OMG LOL. Yeah like a wrench or two. Kevinx you must be kidding, thats pretty funny. Took mine in and it took less than 30 seconds to check and tighten. Special torque wrench adapter, thats some pretty funny chit, I don't care who you are.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Special torque wrench adapter, OMG LOL. Yeah like a wrench or two. Kevinx you must be kidding, thats pretty funny. Took mine in and it took less than 30 seconds to check and tighten. Special torque wrench adapter, thats some pretty funny chit, I don't care who you are.
Well, it makes sense to me. If Victory is issuing a recall with specific procedures, the dealers are required to comply. Weather they (or we) think it's a stupid procedure or not does not matter. Dealers that comply with these recalls to the letter are not just protecting a job, they're protecting the entire dealership and their customers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a chain recall on my new Honda NC700X and I took it in (mine was affected and needed the chain replaced).

Now, I'm no wonder mechanic by any means, but it should have taken about 30 minutes max to replace the chain (they even told me this), but they had to follow the Honda instructions so it took over an hour.

It was actually pretty funny watching the guy have to read each page of the procedure before every step.

Loosen wheel nut...read...cut link....read...remove link...read...grab tool...read...etc... :ltr:

But hey, it was free. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts