Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buy and keep on your bike to get you home.
You will have to know the size of your clutch brass barrel and you will need to replace the set screw with a allen screw and keep the wrench with the part. You might need a couple wrenchs so think what you would need on the side of the road.
Now if your cable breaks this could get you home. I'm thinking all auto parts store cares these.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Miscellaneous-Repair-Parts/Cable-Stop-Clamp/_/N-25g8?filterByKeyWord=brass+cable+locks&fromString=search

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Good idea VJ. Should the cable break at the barrel, that's a cheap, easy and effective repair alright. Those should be available at hardware stores too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
VJ do you know what size we would need? I like this idea!wac
Yes great idea, I'm guessing the 3/32nd one. Can anyone confirm that? Also wrenches may be needed to increase clutch free play when this gets put on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think they will hold, not in my experiences anyway. Normally the cable breaks near the ferrule at the lever end where it bends and you don't have enough free cable to work with. I carry a pre-made inner cable that is over length with a ball soldered on for the lever end and after pulling the damaged cable out, poke the new cable thru from the lever end and tie it with a clamp at the clutch end.cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
When the clutch cable broke on my 83 Honda CB1000, that is what I used to repair it. Held up for three years and almost 5000 miles, until the bike went under water during Hurricane Ike. Repaired the clutch cable on my Kingpin the same way nearly 1500 miles ago. Will replace that with a Sav-ur-Ride when it breaks again.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Ah, another; here's an idea, yes it works,no it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't thread.:)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I say it will work!

Ah, another; here's an idea, yes it works,no it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't thread.:)
Awe common now grumpy. It is a good find and why wouldn't it work. There's an auto zone or equivalent just about every where. Sure is easier to find than a Victory Dealer.

Good advise VJ! picking up a kit today.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It should work as well as the sav ur ride does. The difference between this diy and sav ur ride is that the diy will require ferrules on both ends while the sav ur ride only uses a ferrule on the clutch end.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Awe common now grumpy. It is a good find and why wouldn't it work. There's an auto zone or equivalent just about every where. Sure is easier to find than a Victory Dealer.

Good advise VJ! picking up a kit today.
I'm in the "it will work" camp...see post #2. You'd have to re-adjust for cable length though, but that's not a deal breaker.
As for the hole size of the repair piece; measure the exposed part of the cable with a caliper.cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why do you say replace the (phillips) set screw with a allen screw?

Becasue an allen will sit inside/flush with the Ferrule whereas the phillips doesn't?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Allen setscrews will fit more flush and an Allen wrench will pull the setscrew more securely against the cable. You DO NOT want the cable pulling out in heavy traffic as is usually the case when the cable breaks in the first place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts