Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just took a 2200 mile run on the Pin a few weeks back. In the time I left I bumped into lots of HD riders, singles and groups. Not a single one had a bad thing to say about Vics, in fact they mostly spoke about how Vic was a damn good bike. Not 1 commented on the looks outside of really good things, 1 even saying HD should take some design lessons from them.

I was invited to ride on and of with smaller groups who were headed to the same areas as I was, even helped 2 guys fix their bikes at a hotel in the parking lot. 1 was an older RK with a 80 cube with 115K on it and a belt with about 22 teeth missing lol. . The other a 6 yo Ultra Glide with over 30k of work into it. I also helped find an issue on another HD where it was cammed and re-piped but the programmer was never set to accommodate the new cams. He even took my Pin for a spin and came back and said ;Damn..that's a bike I could ride right there.".

I that week I heard, great bike, sweet ride, nice looking, great design, damned good bike, I know guys who have those and won't ever get rid of them, and my favorite.."HD riders used to laugh at those until they kept getting left in the dust, now they respect em".

These were total strangers, rode together, grabbed a few beers together, talked shop, politics, you name it. Not once did a HD guy even joke about my Pin. I had 2 people on that trip ask me what year Indian it was...that seems to happen half a dozen times each summer....mostly from women.

I have buddies who have hopped up HD's running 120 HP and up to 158 HP that give me a nice run for my money. I came from Harley and am now looking at a new RK with an M8 and a big build kit to toss on it that should give me at least 150 HP, BUT I have a buddy selling a nice 2011 Dyna with tons of work done, 4K miles, pristine with over 25K into it and 120 HP...he wants 11K for it. He has it dolled up too. May just pop for that one and save a crapload. Riches to Rags story..but he put good money into it for sure. Garage Queen.

My point is..I read about people who seem to get taunted by HD riders all the time and I just don't see it personally. Its happened a couple times but one time the guy had no bike at all and the other time some young buck with a sportster tried hammering on me until I asked him to pull his title out and race my 78% USA made bike against his 43% USA assembled in the USA bike. Even the older HD guys told him he was an idiot.

So I wonder why some guys seem to get into it all the time with HD riders while on their Vics. This was across Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Canada, and Indiana. And I still get lots of local comments on it as well from folks who don't even ride. My absolute favorite from a 4-5 year old little girl who stopped to look with her mom fast in a parking lot who smiled at me and just said "Nice bike!". Her mom smiled too when she saw me burst into a crap eating grin on that one.

(The Vision riders catch hell even from Vic riders...lol but thats a whole new post! :) Sorry Bulldog! Had to throw that in!)

Because I just don't catch it like some Vic guys claim too. Other than half hearted joking from my HD buds never get any serious crap from HD guys. I get more snubs from Indian riders actually who think they are the Messianic answer to the riding world. But then again they snub HD too. With exception of the ones who were former Vic owners, they don't play that game.

Comments?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just took a 2200 mile run on the Pin a few weeks back. In the time I left I bumped into lots of HD riders, singles and groups. Not a single one had a bad thing to say about Vics, in fact they mostly spoke about how Vic was a damn good bike. Not 1 commented on the looks outside of really good things, 1 even saying HD should take some design lessons from them.

I was invited to ride on and of with smaller groups who were headed to the same areas as I was, even helped 2 guys fix their bikes at a hotel in the parking lot. 1 was an older RK with a 80 cube with 115K on it and a belt with about 22 teeth missing lol. . The other a 6 yo Ultra Glide with over 30k of work into it. I also helped find an issue on another HD where it was cammed and re-piped but the programmer was never set to accommodate the new cams. He even took my Pin for a spin and came back and said ;Damn..that's a bike I could ride right there.".

I that week I heard, great bike, sweet ride, nice looking, great design, damned good bike, I know guys who have those and won't ever get rid of them, and my favorite.."HD riders used to laugh at those until they kept getting left in the dust, now they respect em".

These were total strangers, rode together, grabbed a few beers together, talked shop, politics, you name it. Not once did a HD guy even joke about my Pin. I had 2 people on that trip ask me what year Indian it was...that seems to happen half a dozen times each summer....mostly from women.

I have buddies who have hopped up HD's running 120 HP and up to 158 HP that give me a nice run for my money. I came from Harley and am now looking at a new RK with an M8 and a big build kit to toss on it that should give me at least 150 HP, BUT I have a buddy selling a nice 2011 Dyna with tons of work done, 4K miles, pristine with over 25K into it and 120 HP...he wants 11K for it. He has it dolled up too. May just pop for that one and save a crapload. Riches to Rags story..but he put good money into it for sure. Garage Queen.

My point is..I read about people who seem to get taunted by HD riders all the time and I just don't see it personally. Its happened a couple times but one time the guy had no bike at all and the other time some young buck with a sportster tried hammering on me until I asked him to pull his title out and race my 78% USA made bike against his 43% USA assembled in the USA bike. Even the older HD guys told him he was an idiot.

So I wonder why some guys seem to get into it all the time with HD riders while on their Vics. This was across Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Canada, and Indiana. And I still get lots of local comments on it as well from folks who don't even ride. My absolute favorite from a 4-5 year old little girl who stopped to look with her mom fast in a parking lot who smiled at me and just said "Nice bike!". Her mom smiled too when she saw me burst into a crap eating grin on that one.

(The Vision riders catch hell even from Vic riders...lol but thats a whole new post! :) Sorry Bulldog! Had to throw that in!)

Because I just don't catch it like some Vic guys claim too. Other than half hearted joking from my HD buds never get any serious crap from HD guys. I get more snubs from Indian riders actually who think they are the Messianic answer to the riding world. But then again they snub HD too. With exception of the ones who were former Vic owners, they don't play that game.

Comments?
Same experience here. There's no way to avoid it, most of the guys I ride with are HD owners (until as of late). I've been lucky to find a Vic owner who lives on his bike so he's always available to ride.

Back to the point...in person it's as you say. And you're going to have a smart ass from time to time but that's exclusive from the bike they ride.

Fort Worth, TX | 2010 Victory Cross Roads

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
In my experience , you guys are three in a million .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My experiences have been mostly positive with the HD guys also. Never had one give me any serious crap about my Vics. I've actually caught more crap from Honda and Kawasaki cruiser guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only Honda guy that ever said anything had a Wing. Told me he test rode a Vic and it vibrated too much! Told him I could slap a V8 on my couch if I wanted but preferred the feel of the road. Told him when I was too old and feeble to feel the road, or considered a gender change... I 'may' consider a Wing. lol. he gave a half smirk and rode off. No biggie.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I get (and give) good natured ribbing to the HD guys where I ride.. every now and then you get a knucklehead that owning anything but HD is 'unamerican' or something.. but generally those guys are wannabe's and some don't even HAVE a bike. I've found that in a lot of cases just asking to 'see what they're riding' will quiet down the noise since they either don't have it, it ain't running or they're still saving up to buy their uncle-brothers girlfriends hair-dresser's 'sweet' sportster that's still in a crate in the basement or some such.

As for getting a hopped up M8.. why not just take the sweet pin and put a couple grand in it and make it BE a 140+ HP monster? Seems you already like the bike.. why not just save a payment and hop up what you got? :)

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Passed a GL1800 once on my way south on I-75, though the guy was asleep or dead, head down and cruise set just trucking along, Co-pilot finally saw him come back alive about 20 miles down the road and had his head back up.

I wish I had took a FZ9 or FZ10 with me down south to see how it would have handled the mountains.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have to say that most of my interactions with my XCT have been positive comments from most riders. I have had a couple of comments from uneducated folks about 'what is wrong with American bikes', but those are very few and far between. I was out last weekend and had a guy on a really nice Ultra walk over at the gas station to make the comment, 'those bikes are fast as hell, aren't they?' I think most people in the know realize the quality of the product that Victory had, even if they didn't market it as well, or ever gain the market share that HD has. I love motorcycles, period. I am pretty much brand agnostic. I have owned Japanese bikes (several), an Indian Chief Classic (awesome bike), and this XCT. I will probably own something different in the next few years, but for now the Victory is exactly what I have been looking for. I just couldn't pay the price of admission for the big touring bikes from the other guys, but in taking advantage of a sweet deal, i found a really capable and fun to ride bike. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I never got any crap. I even had a pledge for the Outlaws look at my bike and say he wished they would change the rules and allow Vics instead of just HDs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
My experience mirrors what's been said here. I think the majority of crap from HD owners/riders occurs on forums (especially HD forums!) and social media. Take any keyboard warrior and most likely they will act completely different wen you met them face-to-face. It's the nature of the beast.

The only HD guys that ever gave me any **** about my Vic were either salesmen at an HD dealer, or a guy at an independent MC shop selling used Harleys. "Victory this, Harley that, I'll never own a Vic, HD is the only bike, etc.". I promptly thanked him for insulting both me and my motorcycle. I didn't, and won't be, buying a bike from them any time soon.

Most HD'ers I have met while riding has been amiable if not downright intrigued.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I've been getting comments lately about Polaris killing off Victory and have come up with this reply:
They had to kill off Victory, it was so good it was losing money for Polaris. It didn't break, so the shops were empty and they were so dependable no one needed to buy a new one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get (and give) good natured ribbing to the HD guys where I ride.. every now and then you get a knucklehead that owning anything but HD is 'unamerican' or something.. but generally those guys are wannabe's and some don't even HAVE a bike. I've found that in a lot of cases just asking to 'see what they're riding' will quiet down the noise since they either don't have it, it ain't running or they're still saving up to buy their uncle-brothers girlfriends hair-dresser's 'sweet' sportster that's still in a crate in the basement or some such.

As for getting a hopped up M8.. why not just take the sweet pin and put a couple grand in it and make it BE a 140+ HP monster? Seems you already like the bike.. why not just save a payment and hop up what you got? :)
I'll keep the Pin, its doing well enough. But it will also be fun to fiddle with the M8 on a RK. And be able to get parts for the damn thing without waiting months. Getting rid of a truck so I have room now for more than 1 bike. Some asked why not grab another Vic? Ask a few people who have had their bikes in the shop for 2 months getting things fixed under warranty. ( yep...happened to a Vic rider I know who got p!ssed and swapped up for an Injun). Got it out of the shop this week and had enough. 2 months for warranty parts on a 2 year old bike? Screw that.

I don't do payments anyway, cash for everything I buy. Cars, bikes, parts. No credit or payment plans here.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I don't do payments anyway, cash for everything I buy. Cars, bikes, parts. No credit or payment plans here.
The only way to do it if you want to be and stay solvent. I would add: As long as it doesn't take food off the table.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
The group I ride with once a month are Vic's, HD's and Kawasaki's with a Yamaha thrown of for good measure now and then and sometimes my Suzuki.
Vic riders are no more or no less arrogant than any other brands except BMW riders I find most of them
to be pricks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I was a member of a really nice and friendly small HD group online and in person (I still have an HD Softail but it went up for sale yesterday). Before I owned a Victory, I posted about my test ride experience on a Victory XCT and an HD touring bike and this HD group was very passive aggressive. They didn't come right out and criticize my lengthy and thorough comparison of these two comparable bikes but they did make LOTS of comments about how they could only ever own an HD. None of their reasons were useful ones - things like, "My dad and uncle owned HDs and I could only ever see myself on an HD." They focussed on really minor criticisms I made about the XCT and ignored the HUGE problematic issues I found in the HD touring bikes - mainly the horrible cramped riding position. This just reinforced my belief that HD "snobs" are emotionally motivated and not data driven. They have and will continue to embrace the "lifestyle".

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I have always maintained that one chooses a Victory over others for intellectual reasons. And that Harleys are purchased for emotional values, such as peer pressure. In other words, Victory owners use their heads.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In other words, Victory owners use their heads.
And here I thought it was just a damn sexy bike that happened to fit me real good, now you tell me I am smart? Woo-Hoo I am a smart feller!
I have to say there are 3 Victorys in our local riding group that meets Monday afternoons for a Bike Night, and on our post-meet rides my big fat stock XC keeps up tit for tat with any of the highly modified big-V's in the mix, and I get nothing but compliments on the bike's looks and performance. If they only knew how exceptional it really was to pilot the thing, there could be a revolution :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The only way to do it if you want to be and stay solvent.

I disagree, but what's new.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I ride with all H-D's and frequent the local H-D shop (as I used to work there). Outside of your typical friendly ribbing each other, no one ever knocks my Vic. Only compliments and "I can't believe they killed that brand."

There are some Indians around...like another poster, I've found them to have an attitude towards everything else.

I'm not a "Brand" guy. I like whatever I like...which is most bikes for me. Just love two wheels.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts